|Home > Health/Wellness > Articles > Stopping prostate cancer in its tracks|
· Cherries In addition to the antioxidants, cherries are rich in two important flavonoids - isoqueritrin and queritrin. According to leading researchers, queritrin is one of the most potent anticancer agents ever discovered. Consuming it in foods, such as cherries, is like unleashing inside your body an entire army of agents that are adept at neutralizing cancer-causing agent
· Garlic ******** it must be aged not fresh^Aged garlic extract kills prostate cancer cells
· Grapes, table Note the type of grape The latest research released on August 31, 2007, from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), a division of the of the National Institutes of Health shows that an extract that is made from the skin of muscadine grapes has the ability to slow down the growth of
Muscadine Grapes Show Potential to Treat Prostate Cancer.
Prostate cancer cells in laboratory experiments. This is significant due to the fact that muscadine grape skin extract does not contain any significant amounts of resveratrol. Resveratrol is a component in other grape skins and it has been shown in other studies that it was responsible for preventing prostate cancer
· Onions Researchers have known for some time that onions may help fight cancer, but the current study is believed to be the first to compare cancer-fighting abilities among commonly consumed onion varieties. The new study will appear in the Nov. 3 print issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society.
Liu and his associates analyzed 10 common onion varieties and shallots for total antioxidant activity and their ability to fight the growth of cancer in human cell lines. Although shallots resemble onions, they are actually a separate, distinctive species. Fresh, uncooked samples were used, with extracts taken from the bulbs with the outer skin removed.
Shallots and onion varieties with the strongest flavor — Western Yellow, New York Bold and Northern Red — had the highest total antioxidant activity, an indication that they may have a stronger ability to destroy charged molecules called free radicals, an excess of which are thought to increase the risk of disease, particularly cancer, the researcher says.
Onion varieties with the mildest flavor — Empire Sweet, Western White
· Tomatoes Worried About Prostate Cancer? Tomato-broccoli Combo Shown To Be Effective****** eat together
ScienceDaily (Jan. 16, 2007) — A new University of Illinois study shows that tomatoes and broccoli--two vegetables known for their cancer-fighting qualities--are better at shrinking prostate tumors when both are part of the daily diet than when they're eaten alone.
· Walnuts are rich in compounds called tocopherols, which are thought to protect against prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease.
· Watermelons a high dietary intake of tomato products has been shown in multiple studies to lower the rate of prostate cancer by 35%-50%. Heating tomatoes, such as in sauce or paste, concentrates the lycopene and enhances the protective effect. Recent studies also show that red watermelon has 40 % more lycopene than tomatoes, and does not require heat treatment to provide similar blood lycopene levels. Seedless varieties have the highest amount. About ¾ cup of tomato sauce, or 1 ½ cups of diced watermelon is all that is required to achieve the beneficial blood levels of lycopene
Drinks that Help
· The antioxidants found in tea--called catechins--may selectively inhibit the growth of cancer (see Question 1).
· In laboratory studies using animals, catechins scavenged oxidants before cell damage occurred, reduced the number and size of tumors, and inhibited the growth of cancer cells
· Green tea is a beverage that is great for fighting off infections (antibacterial), viruses (antiviral), weight loss, and even cancer. It’s a great alternative to coffee or other high sugar beverages.
Pomegranate juice could slow prostate cancer growth
By Stephen Daniells, 03-Jul-2006
Drinking a glass of pomegranate juice every day could slow the growth of prostate cancer, researchers have reported for the first time.
The researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles, suggest that men diagnosed with prostate cancer and having already had preliminary treatment, may benefit from a daily dose of pomegranate juice by suppressing further growth and delaying the need for further therapies.
"In older men 65 to 70 who have been treated for prostate cancer, we can give them pomegranate juice and it may be possible for them to outlive their risk of dying from their cancer," said lead author Dr Allan Pantuck, Jonsson Cancer Center, UCLA.
The fruit, a rich source of antioxidants, has been linked to improved heart health, but other varied claims have been made including protecting against prostate cancer and slowing cartilage loss in arthritis.
It is these antioxidants, and particularly compounds like punicalagin, which accounts for about half of the fruit's antioxidant ability, that are behind the proposed anti-cancer effects observed in this new study.
other helpful information on eating healthy can be found in my book "The Food Contrarian" in The dens bookstore (C) Tuchy Palmieri 2009
other helpful information on eating healthy can be found in my book "The Food Contrarian" in The dens bookstore
(C) Tuchy Palmieri 2009
Click here to post or read comments.
Problem with this page? Report it to AuthorsDen
© AuthorsDen, Inc. All rights reserved.