Who are these strange creatures from another planet?
1. Fantastic adventure series. The Outcasts Series by Gregory Janicke is a fast, fun, exciting and sometimes scary ride through dangerous terrain on Dulunae, the Planet of Two Moons.
2. Easy readability, high interest. The Series, in paperback format, is a handy way to welcome younger readers into the world of books. Higher level readers in fourth grade are currently immersed in Books 1 and 2, discussing and debating their favorite characters. Adults have read and enjoyed the various levels of conflict from small moments of personal crisis to global catastrophe.
3. Monsters galore. Shadow Beasts, Antibodies, Omegas, the Nus, K'han-shee, Octinids, CH'NOPS, Chitin, T'ndrills, the Predictors...the list goes on and on of unique, creepy characters on Dulunae. Enough to give readers sleepless nights!
4. Plenty of friendly animals. The caeenri-beda, G'unk-g'unks, Feelie the furry orange ball and benign Shadow Beasts all aid the Outcasts in their quest for safe HayVen.
5. Multicultural teens. Antibodies have attacked Communities throughout Dulunae, throwing together a mismatched band of surviving teenagers and children in a desperate quest for survival. The Outcasts Gyro, Jax, Marina and the others hail from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures. They speak different languages and have decidedly different views on how to survive. They argue; they complain; they don't always understand each other. The little children in the group can be tired, cranky, whiny - and sometimes quite heroic. One girl speaks only in numbers; another little boy cannot speak at all. The challenges of language play a key role in the Series.
6. Strong female lead characters. Marina, Lynai'seth and Terra are primary characters in the Series. Their decisions and actions are integral to the survival of the Outcasts.
7. An unusual villain. By Book Three, Lost and Found, readers still have not seen the mysterious CH'NOPS. Who or what is it? How is it undermining all of Dulunae?
8. Global crisis. The entire planet Dulunae is in chaos throughout the Outcasts Series. There are volcanic eruptions, floods, earthquakes, storms and mysterious rainbows. Even the buildings and stones are alive on Dulunae! The Font of Knowledge has a mind of its own. The rocks can “think.”
9. Intrigue. Who or what is Found? Are H’Êshra and Ma'h'bri good or evil? How will the love triangle of Jax, Lynai'seth and Marina play out? Does HayVen exist, or is it an elaborate hoax? Which Outcasts survive?
10. Social relevancy. The Outcasts Series carefully interlaces fantasy with such down-to-earth issues as environmental crises, bigotry, miscommunication, fear, evil and heroism. The Series is as distant as Dulunae, as relevant as today's headlines.