© Valerie Connelly Sept. 2007 – CALLING ALL AUTHORS™
Talk show hosts have a job to do. First, they must make their guests sound really good. Second, they must make their show a place where guests want to come. If the first item is accomplished, the second is automatic. How to accomplish this process for success?
- Make signing up for your show really easy.
- Create a fill in form in the interactive Adobe PDF --- or as a simple Word document that allows the guest to choose the date to appear, provide his/her phone and email and list 10 talking points they want to discuss. Here is the Word form we used to send as an email (just cut and paste). Notice that the filled shows are marked FILLED so the guest knows not to choose that date.
Thank you for your interest in ____YOUR RADIO SHOW____, and for contacting me about appearing on the program. I am so pleased you find the program of value. I truly do believe in writer-advocacy, and have designed my entire publishing mission to put the author first. I am always interested in reaching out to authors outside the Nightengale Press family, and would certainly consider you for an interview, based on your information in your email.
To let me know your wishes, please just follow the form below, which we use for all those appearing on our program.Just click on your reply button and then fill it in on this page as you reply.
Your interview is free and it will bring you and your book years of exposure on GlobalTalkRadio's website. So, here goes.
Fill this in to join us on ____YOUR RADIO SHOW____.
MY Name : My Phone: MY Email :
Put an X next to the DATE you'd like to appear:
ANY AVAILABLE DATE IN MAY_____ OR JUNE____
Choose your own date:
MAY 02: FILLED JUNE 06: ____
MAY 09: FILLED JUNE 13: ____
MAY 16: _____ JUNE 20: ____
MAY 23: ____ JUNE 27: ____
MAY 29: _____
We try to accommodate everyone's choice, but if we have already filled that date, we will put into the next available date, and notify you of the change.
Write at least 6 interview questions you’d like us to use as a guide for your interview. This is so we all know what we're discussing, and there are no long pauses because we ran out of things to talk about. we usually can fill the segment with 6 questions, but you may include up to 10 questions.
MY TALKING POINTS:
- If you offer a DISPLAY AD and/or a COMMERCIAL you will set your own pricing for these. We make them both optional, but you’d be surprised how many people sign up.
PART THREE: The display ad shows your book cover or logo. The commercial is 60 seconds long. BOTH ARE OPTIONAL.
Mark the blank with an X to include: 1 display ad ($50)______ 1 commercial ($85)______
We will send a PayPal invoice to you for all the services you request. Your payment secures your appearance slot and your ad development. UPON RECEIPT OF PAYMENT we will follow up with the confirmation details about your show interview date, time, and call-in phone numbers. We encourage everyone who appears on the show to email all their friends, colleagues and clients to ask them to listen and call-in. The more people listening to the live show, the better.
I do look forward to chatting with you on CALLING ALL AUTHORS in the near future.
- Always respond to requests to appear by sending your sign up form immediately. Do NOT wait even an hour.
- When the client replies with the completed sign up form, respond immediately with the booking information:
Thank you so much for your quick reply. And, I really am delighted you can join me. You are booked for Tuesday, SEPTEMBER 25, 2007 at 4pm Central Daylight Time in the USA. Please be sure to figure out the hour to call in in your own Time Zone. The correct call in number is: ____________ and then use this access code ______________ when prompted to do so.
Please call a few minutes early so we can get settled before the show starts --- just a couple of minutes, though, so the conference call is open. You know the drill. I'll send you a reminder the day before the program, so put it on your calendar today.
- Notice the mention of sending a reminder. This is VERY important. Now that CALLING ALL AUTHORS is booked SEVEN MONTHS IN ADVANCE these reminders are very important, and I send two reminders, one about two weeks before the show and then another the day before. When people are booked so far in advance, it helps to give them a head’s up with some time to make sure they can appear.
This is our little reminder to you that you are booked for Tuesday, October 10th at 4pm Central Daylight Time. Please make sure you calculate the time difference for your timezone.Then, call a few minutes early so we can get settled before the show starts --- just a couple of minutes, though, so the conference call is open. The correct call in number is: ____________ and then use this access code ______________when prompted to do so. The station owner helps us get settled and comfortable before the show begins. I'm looking forward to this, and hope you are too. It is fun and the time flies!
- AFTER the show, send a thank you email, personalized to the guest, their topic and their conversation. Here’s an example from 2006 and the guest returned in the fall:
I had such a good time talking with you --- and I know we barely scratched
the surface of the Morgan Horse Series.
I have attached the Fill In Form for you to use to book a date in the Fall.
October is already half full, so if you'd like to return, please choose a
date, write 10 new questions (perhaps about the process you used for
researching and for writing the series. How did you decide on books for
kids, etc...). More about your marketing success is always good too, since
that is the hardest thing for authors to accomplish. Your tricks for success
may give others ideas they can use.
Again, thanks for the great conversation. And, I look forward to talking
with you again on CALLING ALL AUTHORS.
Getting the system in place, and USING IT without fail makes your job much easier. No system is perfect, and there have been two or three times when a guest didn’t appear --- in spite of reminders. But in nearly two years of hosting CALLING ALL AUTHORS, I must admit having this system in place has made my job as host/booking agent/ chief cook and bottle washer all that much easier and consistent.
Next time, I’ll talk about how to make the show itself move smoothly and get the most from your guests, all the while making them feel like a star!
My best to you and the success of your show!
Author, Publisher, Radio Talk Show Host