The Most Important Secrets
You Must Learn
In Order to Live a Happy, Healthy and Productive Life with Epilepsy
I Just Want To Let You Know How Wonderful You Really Are…
“Learn the strategies for overcoming myths and stigmas surrounding epilepsy -- developing your inner strengths and confidence”
Life doesn’t’ have to end because you have epilepsy. As grandma always said, “where there is a will there is a way. Life is what you make it. Just because we have, epilepsy does not mean we cannot live a happy, healthy and productive life.
Do not let anyone try to fool you - no one in this life is perfect. No one on this planet is perfect. Everyone carries flaws, but the trick is not to dwell in our imperfections, but rather focus on our positive qualities given to us from the heavens above and use them to better ourselves and people around us.
The Obstacles People with Epilepsy Face
Many people who have epilepsy feel different from others who do not have epilepsy. It’s hard enough physically (on your body) to have a seizure (the effects it leaves on your body is draining), but emotionally it‘s devastating. The anger we go through (why me) the sadness it leaves you with filled inside your soul. The filling of distraught and helplessness and most of all the limitations epilepsy puts on your life. The restrictions it leaves with you. The things you must do (taking your medications, seeing your doctors, the EEG’s ECT…) the limitations (the things your doctors ask you not to do or take part in because it can endanger you life and the lives of others). I am not going to lie living with epilepsy can be extremely difficult because of the daily obstacles we face in life. Many individuals feel alone and helpless – they feel no one understands what they are going through and many are ashamed to talk to others about their condition. All these issues can hurt your confidence and self-esteem among other things.
Myths and Misconceptions of Epilepsy
Many people still have misconceptions about epilepsy even though tremendous efforts have be made to educate society about the disorder. I have been in situations many times where I mentioned I have epilepsy and their eyeballs pop out of their head with looks of fear on their face or they make silly comments (common myths) about epilepsy. I don’t get upset anymore. I do not get embarrassed or ashamed either of my condition. What I do is educate them. I let them know what epilepsy is and I correct them because unless we advocate and educate society then changes will not occur.
Find the Key to Unlock the Door
The key is to reprogram your thoughts and way of thinking…Mind over matter. It is amazing what you can accomplish if you believe in yourself.
Today, I want to discuss with you strategies and techniques that I used to build up my inner strength. I had one goal in mind – I wanted to move forward in life. I wanted to experience a new beginning living life to my highest potential and prove to the rest of the world that people with epilepsy are just like anyone else. We can accomplish our goals and dreams with a positive perspective of life if we believe in ourselves.
Walk with Me on the Road to Recovery
What we can do is focus on now (the present). Say to yourself, “OK, what can I do now to strengthen myself as person?” You need to use your strength and positive qualities to move on in life to accomplish your goals and dreams - and I am positive you will.”
The future is waiting, so make the most of today and plan on how you are going to reach for the stars. If you do not give up and you keep trying to reach for those stars one day you will see them right in the palm of your hands and then my friend you can say with tears in your eyes I kept trying, I did not give up and I did it. I DID IT!
Learn How to Boost Your Self- Esteem:
The purpose of have a high self-esteem is to develop an inner strength that will help you believe in yourself. You need to value yourself. You are a great person. You have qualities and talents that can make the world a better place and most of all these talents and qualities will create a person you never knew existed once you let them free to flourish.
Everyone has special gifts
Everyone is talented
Everyone can achieve his or her dreams
The future is still to come
The present is now
The past is behind us.
Your mind, body and soul hold special gifts and talents,
Your mind is the workshop where you cultivate all your thoughts, dreams and wishes.
Your spirit is where you hold all your strength and courage
Your soul is the spiritual body where your emotions live inside you
And your heart is the key that locks them all together as one
You have inner strength,
Courage, Wisdom, Faith, Hope
Use your gifts to your advantage
Do not let them sit and rot away.
Building self-esteem is a first step towards happiness and a better life. Self-esteem increases your self-confidence. If you have confidence, you will love yourself and begin to respect yourself. If you respect yourself you can respect others, improve your relationships, your achievements and your happiness. You were born to be someone special. Do not let the fact that you have epilepsy stop you.
Everyone has some degree of low self-esteem. Everyone has some degree of insecurities. Working on building, a high self-esteem builds your confidence in yourself. If you have self-confidence, you will respect yourself more as a person. You will see huge improvements in your life, your relationships with your love ones, friends and co-workers. You will be able to achieve your goals in life and obtain true happiness.
Change Isn’t Easy
It is not easy to change. Improving the quality of your life is a difficult task. Most people fear change. We are so used to the way we are now in the present - that we fear what change will bring. However, I assure you will be happier and the new you will be someone that you are going to be very proud of once you get to that level change.
In life, you get back what you give. The same goes with change. The harder you try to change the better you will become as a person. You need to have determination. It will take time; you will be able to see improvements just by making small changes in your life. In order to make life-long changes that will have huge impacts in your life you need to believe in yourself and work hard to create change in your life.
You Can Do It – High Self-Esteem Is Just Around the Corner
The First Stage of Developing Strength Is Learning to Love Yourself and Your Life. You need to learn to be grateful for the things you have in your life. You need to let go of all those angry emotions inside. Holding anger inside yourself will not help you, it will only hurt you. The past is the past; you can only change the present. You need to love yourself by accepting all your faults and putting the past behindyou, but if, you focus on your flaws than you will only experience unhappiness. You need to think positively and focus on your accomplishments and all the positive things in your life.
To live with a happy state of mind, you need to have high self-esteem. You need to feel that you are no different from anyone else and that you can be the person you set in your mind to be. You need to reconstruct your life from this point on. You need to develop a lifestyle that will make you happy and bring you as little stress as possible.
Developing your inner strength in 6 steps:
1. Realizing The Past Is Behind You- We cannot change the fact that we have epilepsy. I accept my epilepsy and I refuse to be in denial. I was in denial for way too long. I have the disorder and it is part of me. Years ago, I decided to put all my energy learning to cope with epilepsy and live in a positively for the rest of my life. I am not going to waste my energy in wallowing in self-pity.
2. Strength - the development of strength in the inner body begins in the mind. The inner body is our mind, soul and spirit. How we think and program our minds to work, helps us build mental, physical and spiritual strength. Our strength comes from how we feel about ourselves. The higher our self-esteem, the stronger we feel the more we can do more for ourselves. If you have the strength and motivation, you can make the present anything you want too. To free all your negative emotions that are holding you back, you have to let go of the past.
3. You cannot rely on others. You need to learn to rely on yourself. You have to believe in yourself, develop a sense of pride in yourself. It does not matter what others think about you, what matters is how you think about yourself. I truly believe we were all put on this earth for a reason and everything happens for a reason. We were put on this earth to love and help others, not to hurt ourselves and take our anger out on others. Unfortunately, we tend to take out our negative emotions out on the ones we care about the most.
4. Knowledge- is another important factor in helping yourself. Knowledge comes from experience from being open minded to suggestions others may give. We may not always agree with other people's suggestions, yet it is always wise to listen to what others have to say. Some individuals may try to be controlling and may get frustrated if we do not act on what they have to say. You should to set these people straight and tell them; I will listen to what you have to say; however, that does not necessarily mean I am going to agree with you. I have my own mind, too and I need to do what is best for me. We learn from each other and we acquire knowledge from the world around us that we should pass along to others by helping them. We need to take our experience and use it in our present life now, including the mistakes we have made in life. The mistakes we have made are where we get most of our knowledge that helps us become stronger individuals. What weakens us when we repeatedly make the same mistakes? Do not pity yourself for the mistakes you made in life or imperfections. Studies have shown that people who have negative attitudes are more like to live chaotic lives. They are more likely to become mentally or physically ill with extremely debilitating or life threatening illnesses. Many people have a hard time focusing on the positive because they allow their negative sides to consume them... I firmly believe that focusing on the negatives will cause seizures. Say to yourself, “OK, what I have learned from these mistakes or from my shortcomings.” Taking what you have learned and using it to help others is the best therapy. When you help, you feel a sense of accomplishment and self-worth. You are overlooking any negative characteristics because you are too busy focusing on helping others'.
5. Confidence - our confidence comes from our self-esteem. To have high self-esteem we need to feel good about ourselves, to get to this point in life you need to begin by starting to do things in life to make yourself happy by focusing on the future, creating direction in your life. Begin by planning short and long-term goals for yourself and confidence level will rise. It worked for me. When I started accomplishing some of my short-term goals, I had more self-respect. I developed a greater sense of pride and my inner strength and self-worth increased.
6. Wisdom– Your wisdom always leads you to the right answers. It is up to us to learn to understand our inner self and to follow the signals it sends out to us. Listening to what our inner self has to say is essential. For example, have you ever felt like you had a feeling something was the right thing to do. You need to learn to understand your mind, so you can understand your inner soul and all the wonderful things it is capable of doing. When we listen and act on the signals our body, it gives us a stronger understanding to our body as a whole. Spiritually you can give your body what it needs.
It is Time for Some “Me” Time
We feed our body food to survive on a daily basis. Spiritually we need to feed our body with love, understanding and different forms of relaxation, such as meditation. I strongly suggest to everyone that you start with at least five minutes each day with some type of relaxation exercise. Take a moment sometime during the day or night to release the tension that has built up throughout the day. Each week you should add five minutes until you get to an hour each day. When you do these things, you increase your level of strength, wisdom, knowledge and confidence. By having a high level of strength you feel as though, you can conquer the world. This helps you decrease your stress level.
Once you accept yourself, you can cope with the world around you and accept the fact that you can do everything you expected to do in life. Nevertheless, to accept that yourself you first have to love who you are and be proud of the person you have become. There are many things in life you are capable of doing, but you must develop the motivation and the will to get out there and JUST DO THEM!
Ten Steps to Increasing Self - Confidence:
- Begin a journal. Ask yourself what is making you feel like you cannot get to the point in life you want to reach. Write any thoughts that come to mine. Also, write down what self-confidence means to you.
- Remember the past is over; you can only change the future. Write down 10 positive things about yourself. Go through your journal and look at all the positive things about yourself. Concentrate on your strengths. These are the reasons you should love yourself and have high self-esteem and self-confidence in yourself. Give yourself credit for everything positive you have written about yourself. Remember, you are somebody special.
- Accept yourself and learn to love yourself for whom you are a person. Everyone has his or her own unique qualities and characteristics. We are all born differently for a reason. Do not compare yourself to others.
4. Understand yourself mentally, physically and spiritually. Take some time to relax by yourself by yourself.
- Be ready. Self-confidence comes a lot easier to the person who is sure their ready.
- Strengthen your inner self.Write down in your journal what you will be able to do once you acquire the confidence you need.
- Begin changing what you do not like about yourself. Confidence comes from within. You need to concentrate on the positive things about yourself.
- Notice the change in our self-esteem and self-confidence. Reward yourself each time you do something that makes you feel proud...go out some place or take it easy for the day.
- Learn how to give and take.Confidence is being able to find a balance between giving help to people and excepting when we need help.
- Have a tremendous amount of pride in yourself. Remember, you are number one!
The Wake Up Call
“I am who I am and I am proud of my achievements and myself. I may not be able to jump out of an airplane or ride a motorcycle; but epilepsy is definitely not going to stop me from achieving my goals in life and turning my dreams into a reality.”
Epilepsy is definitely an obstacle, but we can overcome obstacles if we keep fighting the battle and never give up. As Vince Lombardi once said, “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, but rather a lack of will.”
Remember, always hold on tight to your beliefs, always focus on your goals, and make sure you strive for your dreams. If you believe and fight hard, you will be able to turn your dreams into a reality. A new beginning now awaits you.
There comes a time when the meaning of life begins to make sense,
At first we may not understand why things happen the way they do,
The sky at first may look dark,
The path one needs to walk down may be hard to see,
Remember the stars are the brightest when the nights seem the darkest
Look up at the stars and make a wish
Never let a disorder control one’s destiny,
Never move backwards
Plan a positive, fulfilling future,
Never let your tragedy control your mind, body and soul,
Never give up,
Be in control,
Accept your disorder,
Love yourself now and forever,
Developing a disorder
Makes you feel barricaded against a corner
Giving up is not an option,
The present is now,
Today is a new day,
If you stay down life will pass you by,
Therefore, each time you fall
Help yourself get up,
Fight the battle
Win your battle,
To win the battle all you need to do is try,
Winning the battle is teaching yourself how to live a healthy productive life,
Helping you cope,
Life may not always be what you planned it to be,
The road you lead may have some u-turns involved,
Do not fear,
For change can be good,
Follow the path that was destined for you,
The sun is now shinning,
You can now see your path
There is a plan, a destiny that awaits you,
Do not question your destiny,
Do not ask questions such as “why me?”
Follow life's journey the one that has been planned for you.
Do not be afraid,
Take one day at a time,
Be proud of who you are,
Walk with courage and your head up high,
Believe in yourself,
Focus on the positive,
For the footsteps imbedded in ground of your new path will become the solid foundation to you future.
Things to Remember:
- Listen to your inner voice and follow your heart. Your heart that knows what is best for you.
- Focus on the positive, believe in yourself, strive for the best, and always expect the best because you deserve it. Just because you have epilepsy, it does not mean that you do not deserve the best.
- Give to others. The satisfaction of helping others hell boost your self-esteem. Once you develop an inner strength and learn to help yourself than you need to try to be a mentor to others who suffer from epilepsy. The key is to learn how to help yourself, then go out into the epilepsy community, and teach others how to live with their epilepsy from a positive prospective. Using the knowledge you gained will teach others how to cope with the disorder. If we stay strong, others with epilepsy will stay strong too. Saying no is not an option. Don’t say you can’t because you can – you have the inner strength to accomplish anything in life – learn to be confident in yourself. Everyone carries an inner beauty, strength and intelligence. It lies deep within us just waiting to come out and flourish for the world to see. Grandma Moses once said, “Life is what we make it, it always has been, always will be.”
Self-confidence all boils down to how we feel about ourselves. Our self-confidence develops from the moment we are born, and everything we experience in our life will have some type of impact on it. Many of us tend to judge how well we are doing in life by what society thinks or what the people who surround our life think.
In order to gain self-confidence you need to believe in yourself. If you believe in yourself then you can succeed in anything you put your mind too. You may not succeed the first time you try, but you have to keep trying until you do succeed. Nothing comes 1-2-3 results come with dedication, determination and hard work. Achievements only come to those who strive hard to get them. You get nowhere in life if you do not push yourself. You need to create a lifestyle that is right for you and nobody else. Do not settle for anyone else's lifestyle or for a lifestyle that is beneath your standards.