Tom Hyland, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
I LIED AGAIN!
THIS AIN'T A POEM!
LIVE WITH IT!
How Do ‘They’ Screw Us?
© - Tom Hyland
Let me Count the Lays!
1. Last July, I posted the story of how my Friend Pat
Got Screwed by Bob Bell Nissan -
$374.00 to Replace a Dead Battery! Why?
‘They’ never bothered to respond to my Complaint.
2. Prior to that, last December, it Cost me over $300.00
To replace a left-front wheel bearing. Why?
Because ‘They’ said so!
3. Just this past Monday, it cost me $191.00
To replace a Battery. Why?
My mechanic shared the truth with me.
‘They’ - is some National Pricing System.
4. Each and every job on a car has a ‘Fixed’
Minimum Price Cost, supposedly based on Time -
If this computer database says to Charge X Dollars -
That’s What ‘They’ Charge! Regardless of Time!
5. The Battery Cost I paid was $98.00 -
Naturally, a lot higher than what the Supplier charged him -
So, the mechanic ‘reaps’ a little ‘hidden’ profit -
On Every Part put in your car!
6. Then, another little ‘Twist’ is Line-itemed as ‘Shop Supplies’
Mine was $14.00 and change - for What?
He took three minutes at most -
To squirt some fan-belt dressing to stop a noise!
7. So - just for the sake of argument, say Taxes were $5 or so -
This means that the National ‘They’ Program -
Told him to Charge me $70 Bucks! Why?
‘CAUSE - IT IS ‘THEIR’ BIBLE!
8. You may ask - “Is that a Rate per hour of Labor?”
Not Hardly! It took him all of Fifteen Minutes
To Swap out the Batteries!
It is a Flat Charge per Job - regardless of Time.
9. As my mechanic then explained to me -
“I’m in Business to Make Money - If I don’t - I won’t be in Business!”
“Sometimes, jobs take longer, and I have to ‘eat’ the loss,
So, this provides a ‘cushion’ to cover that.”
10. While I may now better understand the pricing process -
MY HINEY STILL HURTS!
Getting ‘Screwed’ - especially without a ‘Kiss’ first -
Somehow still seems Inhumane!
For anyone out there who happens to own a PT Cruiser -
Mine is a 2004 Model - Here’s the ‘Real Poop’
To Remove, then Install a New Battery -
1. Unsnap two Clamps holding Air Filter.
2. Unscrew Clamp attaching Flex-hose to Carburetor.
3. Use appropriate Wrench to Disconnect Positive Terminal.
4. Same thing for Negative Terminal.
5. Remove the Black Plastic Rectangular Box which holds the filter,
Depress two tabs, and move up and away from Fender.
6. Use Socket Wrench to remove battery Retainer Bracket.
7. Lift out old battery - Replace with New.
8. Re-install all above, in reverse order.
Now that I Know How to Do It -
I won’t get ‘SCREWED’ again -
At least for a lousy Battery!
In fact, my Suggestion would be to do the following -
Get a ‘Hot-Shot’ - Drive directly to a Supplier -
Some places, like Advance Auto Parts Might -
Not only be Cheaper, but May Install it for you?
“Happy Motoring” - and - “Screwing” Too!
© - TKH
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!
|Reviewed by Lori Moore
|I'm not sure if they are good at "screwing" or if the majority of the population is good at getting screwed. ok, both.|
|Reviewed by Peter Schlosser (Reader)
|The three most valuable people man can have as a close, close friend or family member: 1. Attorney. 2. Mechanic. 3. Accountant. How many times can you say you haven't been royally screwed by any of the three?|
|Reviewed by J'nia Fowler
|"How Do They Screw Us?" ...Let me count the ways. I really enjoy hearing a good blast in the morning. I think you would be a great call in host on a radio station somewhere. Love it. J'nia|
|Reviewed by Karen Lynn Vidra, The Texas Tornado
|This is when I'm glad I don't have a car: I rely on foot power (not to mention, CRUTCH power)!
(((HUGS))) and much love, your friend in Tx., Karen Lynn. :(
Shame!! But still a good write; rant on, TK! I hear ya....
|Reviewed by Georg Mateos
|Long time ago I learned that if you wish to have a job in your car properly done and cheaper...do it yourself (sorry, I am a electrical and mechanical engineer)
|Reviewed by Eugene Williams
|y a new car but than again i would throw my tires though their window|
|Reviewed by Joyce Bell
|I DON'T EVEN DRIVE AND I'VE HEARD ABOUT 'EM...YOU'VE GOT TO 'KNOW' YOUR MECHANIC...OTHERWISE...THEY WILL CHARGE YOU AN ARM AND A LEG TO DO NOTHING. HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT OUT ANY MORE BUCKS NO TIME SOON. THANKS FOR SHARING AND BLESSINGS. JOYCE * HIS INSPIRATIONS|