Over the past few weeks, a few authors here have been victimized by annoying, vulgar or threatening emails. As such, I am offering the following information so as to help those of you who have been attacked identify the person who is sending out these nuisance emails. Keep in mind that a person can have a hundred different email accounts, but as long as they use one Internet Service Provider the IP address with always be the same.
Every computer that communicates over the Internet is assigned an IP address that uniquely identifies the device and distinguishes it from other computers on the Internet.
For detailed information on what is an IP address please refer to this site:
Here is some information on how to find the IP address from an email that was sent to you.
- Outlook Express
- Right click on the email
- Click on Properties
- Click on the Details tab
- Click on Message Source
- This part is tricky. Look for one of the following expressions
- Originating IP address
- Received from
The format of an IP address is a 32-bit numeric address written as four numbers separated by periods. Each number can be zero to 255. For example, 188.8.131.52 could be an IP address.
- Yahoo Mail
- With the email open click on the words FULL HEADERS, which are on the right hand side of the screen. This will display all of the routing information on that particular mail.
- Look for the words Received from and the four groups of numbers that are the IP address.
- Click on the Options tab for Hotmail
- Under the category of Additional Options click
Mail Display Settings
- Where is says Message Headers check the box for FULL
- Click okay
- Go to your inbox and open an email whose IP address you want to find
- Look for the expression: Received from and the four groups of numbers.
I am sorry I do not have access to Eudora or any other email service. Hopefully with the information I have provided you will be able to find the path within your specific email service. In some cases you might look for the words Originating IP address instead of Received from.
Once you have found the IP address from the mail in question and you want to know where the person who sent it to you lives then go to this website:
If you have any questions about any of this feel free to contact me.