A PLAN FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS
REASONS FOR PREVIEWING MATERIAL
- Increases self-confidence – When playing a sport like soccer or baseball on new turf it really helps to warm up before the game. This way the team becomes familiar with the territory and this increases their self-confidence. It is the same way with previewing before a class. Previewing before class naturally increases self-confidence.
- Increases motivation – When we preview we naturally enjoy learning more. After previewing you will feel more confident and motivated because you can engage and participate in the lesson. This motivation is enough to turn those difficult subjects into a challenging and more enjoyable experience!
- Stimulates learning - .One of the first steps in learning is identification. For example, once you know the definition of a word you naturally become more stimulated to learn more about the subject.
- Increases memory – If more time and effort is spent learning something then it is usually easier to recall. For example, if you previewed medical terms and then discussed them in class your chances of recalling them are much greater than if you were exposed to the terminology for the first time.
- Increases wellness – With previewing, many students are much happier about being in class. They feel better about themselves because they are an integral part of the group. It gives one a sense of belonging. Once you get in the habit of previewing you will probably not want to be unprepared ever again!
- Class participation points – Most instructors provide a set amount of points for class participation. That’s why it pays to be prepared and know the material being presented. This can make a significant difference on a final grade.
Exerpts from the book "Mentoring To-Go"