Official Apex Reviews Interview: Ronald Adams
Ronald, thanks for joining us for this interview. We're looking very much forward to learning more about your book.
- Thank you for the opportunity to share this story with you. I had a lot of fun writing KEY LIME SQUEEZE, and I’m excited about working with the great folks at Enspiren Press.
Our reviewer noted that the story is loaded with tight action, colorful characters, and compelling plot twists. What inspired you to craft the novel?
- Almost all my ideas come from stories I’ve read or been told. The main idea here came from a rash of stories surrounding the internet, and how some people have run away from real relationships towards these imaginary ones, only to find it wasn’t what they though it would be. I just spiced it up a bit and went back to my friend Joe Banks and his family to tell the story.
Who have been some of your chief writing influences, and how have they impacted your work?
- Probably the biggest influence on my writing has been Robert B. Parker. He is the acknowledged grand master of the genre. I have also been influenced by the writings of Janet Evanovich, Raymond Chandler, Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell, and Jimmy Buffett.
Is the Cantolino family based on any real-life crime families we may know?
- Not at all. They are purely fictional characters, and amalgams of a number of bad guy types I’ve met through the years. It is one of the benefits of being a writer in that I “know” every character in my stories.
During his ordeal in hunting down Robert, Joe has to make difficult decisions that often conflict with his morals & values. How does he maintain his humanity during these times of personal crisis?
- I created the Joe Banks character as a response to the tragically flawed, lone wolf PI archetype. Joe is an average guy with a wife and two kids, who when a neighbor asks to borrow a tool, asks if he needs anything else. His draws his strength from the love of, and the love for, his family. The choices he makes are based on the situation he finds himself in, always mindful of not only living with the consequences, but also how his family would see him.
Likewise, how does Joe's wife, Paula, maintain her sanity, especially knowing the dangers Joe tends to get into?
- I love Paula. She is without a doubt Joe’s greatest strength. She keeps the family together, but also acts as a sounding board and compass for Joe. They have a real relationship, a real partnership. She doesn’t always like what Joe has to do for a living, and the impact it sometimes has on their family. She also realizes the kind of man Joe is, and why he does what he does, and loves him unconditionally. She also has a great support system in her cousin Carrie and Joe’s secretary, Sam.
Was it difficult for you to preserve the suspense throughout all the different twists and turns of the story without giving away too much too soon?
- There is always a fine line between foreshadowing and making everything so obvious you have the story figured out. In this story, you already know pretty early on who the good guys and bad guys are, so the fun and challenge come in the way the characters move from situation to situation. I like to throw something unexpected at the characters, and the readers, and see what happens. Fortunately, I have been able to get input from trusted sources who let me know when a situation works, and when it doesn’t.
Key Lime Squeeze is the second installment in the Joe Banks Series. What kinds of reactions did you get to the first one, Lake Effect?
- The first story received a lot of local support, and was given mixed reviews by those who read it. My favorite response came from a Gulf War Marine who said it was the first book he ever read cover to cover. That was the greatest compliment I’ve ever received for my writing. I think the lukewarm reception was due to a number of factors: partly due to the publisher, partly due to my own inexperience and naivete regarding the whole publishing and book marketing experience. Knowing what I know now, I would love to go back and fix some of the mistakes I made with LAKE EFFECT. It’s a good story, but I think I could make it that much better.
Likewise, how have readers responded thus far to Key Lime Squeeze?
- So far all of the advance reviews have been very positive, not only from those whom I trust to help me polish the story, but from companies like your and from other authors. I am very optimistic that KEY LIME SQUEEZE will be well received.
How has your experience been thus far with Enspiren Press?
- My experience with Enspiren Press has been nothing short of fantastic. The staff at Enspiren has been very supportive, very professional, and very responsive to the needs of their authors. They are not only on the lookout for talent, they are willing to take the time to cultivate that talent and to help their authors grow as writers and as professionals in the publishing industry. I am truly blessed to be a part of such a wonderful and growing organization, and I look forward to a long and successful association with them.
Where can readers learn more about you and your writing efforts?
- I have a few sites on the Internet, key among them www.enspirenpress.com. I also have a myspace page at www.myspace.com/rwadams, and a Bebo Network page at www.bebo.com/rwadams.
Any final thoughts you'd like to share with our readers?
- I would hope they enjoy Key Lime Squeeze, and I look forward to more from Joe Banks in the not too distant future.
Thanks again, Ronald, and best of continued success to you in all your endeavors!
- Thanks to you and all your readers.