Recently, many ELT publishers have included Medical English, for doctors and nurses in particular, in their ESP repertoire. Some of them have included Medical English titles in their ‘English in the Workplace’ series. Others have produced stand alone books.
Self publishing companies give authors the ability to self publish books which would otherwise be niche market books. Companies such as Dog Ear, Lulu, AuthorHouse, BookSurge and Infinity offer authors the opportunity to self publish books which may otherwise remain unpublished because of their perceived low marketability.
The books listed below are examples of the breadth of materials available for English for Medical Purposes. EMP encompasses:
· Workplace focussed language needed by healthcare professionals when working in an English-speaking environment or when using English as the common language in their countries.
· content-rich materials covering medical terminology, names of medical equipment and procedures as well as everyday language used to describe diseases and conditions
· Academic English used in Higher Education to access university study
· Academic English to enable participation in conferences or the writing of academic articles in medical or nursing journals
· Pre-Arrival Learning (PAL) – acclimatising students or workers in their own countries to reduce the stress experienced on arrival in a different healthcare environment
· ‘Niche’ marketing of courses e.g. for radiologists, physiotherapists, dentists, optometrists. This may require drawing resources from general English for Medicine or Nursing books and adding specific vocabulary.
· Online and Blended Learning to take advantage of areas such as pronunciation practice and viewing of video clips.
Some of the publishers in the EMP field are:
1. Cambridge University Press
Cambridge English for Nursing Pre-Intermediate by Virginia Allum and Patricia McGarr
Cambridge English for Nursing Intermediate Plus by Virginia Allum and Patricia McGarr
Good Practice by Marie McCullagh and Ros Wright
2. Oxford University Press
Oxford English for Careers: Nursing 1
Oxford English for Careers: Nursing 2
Oxford English for Careers: Medicine 1
Oxford English for Careers: Medicine 2
3. Pearson Longman
English for Nursing Level 1
English for Nursing Level 2
4. Garnet Education
English for Medicine in Higher Education
5. Lambert Academic Publishing LAP
6. Cengage Learning
English for Health Sciences.
Care Paths English: Nursing
8. Verlag Hans Huber
Nursing English Essentials (bilingual German/English)
9. Schenk Verlag
English for Doctors