Become a Fan
History tells me that the gay community is not very organizationally minded. From where I sit, it looks like gays have a plethora of organizations that support one issue or another, but there is no guiding organization.
Quite honestly, I understand why that is, but my understanding doesn’t solve the problem. I did notice in a recent news report that, perhaps for the news of it all, several gay organizations have agreed to work together. It’s a good sign and I hope it continues. I have a concept of what needs to happen, where the gay movement needs to be heading, but fail in visualizing it being accomplished.
The conservative religious right has field advantage and no time out is going to change that in the short term. Recently I wrote an essay about homophobia, and during my research, I was overwhelmed by the amount of hate the conservative religious right spews out in the name of religion and morality. While they attack the gay community for promoting the gay lifestyle, the log in their own eye prevents them from seeing how hateful their efforts are.
And therein lies the real problem. They have created church after church and then filled them with folks that live by faith not fact. They have perfected networking and fund raising far beyond what many free enterprise corporations have ever dreamt of. Wealth is power. In planning a marketing strategy in the business world, one always looks for the competitors Achilles heel. They have one, but it’s elusive. Perhaps their weakness lies in the faith vs. fact concept, yet I’m aware of the power of a preacher’s word. I know few who would challenge their preacher. Therefore, when the gay community puts out the facts, the church distorts and condemns them to their congregation. It’s clear that the gay movement is in a tough spot, alas between a rock and a hard place.
Additionally, simply by their numbers the conservative religious right has the upper hand. With many of the gay troops still in the closet, or more concerned with hookups than a better life, they are ill prepared for battle. I don’t proclaim to have all the answers, but can easily see areas where changes need to be made. Areas that include increasing the visibility gay troops, sharpening gay organizations fund raising abilities, and providing the facts to the public in a professional and acceptable manner. The gay community must stop being on the defensive end of this fight, and become as bold as their adversaries in sharing the truth.
All the crap about Sponge Bob, and other crap like it, is the conservative religious right’s method of staying in the news. The gay community is failing in that area. Perhaps they need to make a few ignorant, even stupid comments about their adversaries that will put gays on the offensive, hmmm, any ideas? Why not beat them up about their need to wear the queen’s robe? They’re such drama queens. The gay community should be screaming CULT about churches like Fred Phelps, Falwell, and the likes. Anything to make people think about how hateful and unnecessary their attack is. In a time of unethical media, where anything gets pushed down the throats of our news driven society, the media may well become the final battlefield in this war against hate. Americans have the right to know the truth and gay community and gay organizations have a responsibly to see that they get it.
Many of the tasks required in stopping the conservative religious right, from pursuing their current hateful campaign against gays, falls on established gay organizations. However, there are many actions that any gay man or woman, or gay lifestyle supporter can participate in.
· Gays, and society, must understand that homosexuality was removed as a treatable illness by every medical organization over thirty years ago. Society as a whole has become more understanding of homosexuality and homosexuals should be encouraged to “come out,” to destroy the closet, and live open lives absent of shame.
· Studies have shown that it is difficult for homophobia to exist in an environment where heterosexuals have been exposed to homosexuality through family and friendships. Gays must put a face on homosexuality through openness, by sharing their life with heterosexuals.
· Gays must stand up and speak out against all campaigns of lies and misinformation their adversaries promote. From the smallest action of sending an email to a full-blown demonstration, the purveyors of lies must be challenged.
· The gay community must work together in harmony under the guidance of one lead organization. History has shown that the divisions within the gay community have slowed the progress of obtaining gay rights and equality.
· Gay organizations must commingle their ideas, goals, and fundraising efforts.
At no other time in history, has there been such urgency for reorganization and a new mindset in the gay community. With the wall of separation of state and church crumbling more and more everyday, the current administration declaring God as our leader, and the current president endorsing these atrocities, drastic measures are necessary. Love is more powerful than hate, knowledge more powerful than ignorance.