Here are a few mystical superstitions passed down through the ages, where days of the week could bring one bad luck, while others would grant only good. Learn how to ward off evil spirits and protect a new born child. Learn which element is the most holy, and which day will grant you good health for the whole year! This is just a list for fun to step back in time and and learn a wee bit of folklore.
1. The bed of a person that is ill must be placed north and south never crossways.
2. If you are pursued at night by an evil spirit, or ghost of the dead, and you hear footsteps behind you, try to reach a stream of running water. If you are able to cross it, the devil or ghost will not be able to follow you.
3. There is one hour in the day when you make a wish it will be granted. No one knows what the hour is. It is a chance that you may stumble upon.
4.There is one hour in the day when ghost-seers can see spirits, but only one. Again the exact time of day is a mystery.
5.Never take an infant in your arms without saying, "God Bless it." This will keep the influence of the "Evil Eye" away.
6. Fire is considered the holiest of all things. If you walk around a fire on St. John's Eve(at sunset of June 23rd mid-summer's eve), you will be safe from disease for the whole year.
7. Never cut an infant's nails until it is a year old, or it will be addicted to stealing.
8. A child born in the morning cannot see spirits or the fairy world; but the child that is born at night will have the power over ghosts, and can see the spirits of the dead.
9. The first days of the year and of the week are the luckiest.
10.Some days are unlucky to families. For the Tudors is was Tuesday. Henry VIII, Edward, Mary, and Elizabeth all died on a Tuesday.
11. Friday is the most unlucky day of all the year, and no one should begin a journey, or move into a new house, or begin a business, or cut a new dress on a Friday. Most of all never bring a cat from one house to another on a Friday.
12. Beware of speaking ill of fairies on a Friday for if they are present, they will work some evil.
13. It is not safe to take an unbaptized child in your arms without making the sing of the cross over it.
14. A hazel switch brings good luck and has the power over the devil.
15. A whitehorn stick is very unlucky to take on a journey.
16. The seventh son of a seventh son has the power over all diseases and can cure them by laying hands.
17. A son born after his father's death has power over fevers.
18. If you want a person to win at cards, stick a crooked pin in his coat.
19.It is good to cut your hair at the new moon, and especially by the light of the moon. (Remember: never on a Friday!)
20.A shoe of a horse nailed to the door-post will bring good luck. (The shoe must be found. It cannot be given.)