The goal of many authors is to become a Best Seller on Amazon. Having the status carries prestige and generates more sales.
In April of this year I decided to turn my third book, Don't Ask and I Won't Have to Lie into an ebook and take advantage of a special promotion offered by Amazon in an attempt to reach best seller status.
For three days I offered the book as a free download. By the end of the promotion, my book sat in the Number 2 spot on Amazon. Once the book went back on sale, it remained in the top 5 and has remained on the Amazon Best Sellers list for 21 days in a row.
Here are some of my tips on how to become successful on Amazon:
1) Create a buzz. Prior to your launch put the word out in as many circles as possible.
2) Connect with an ACTIVE national writers group
3) Connect with authors who've achieved similar status and pick their brains.
4) Get reviews of your book posted on your Amazon site.
5) This is an important one: Make sure your book is appropriately placed in the correct browse and sub-categories.
By categorizing your book correctly, people who are interested in books on your topic will be steered your way. When they review your book, they’ll see that it ranks high in that category. Besides that, becoming number one in a certain category will contribute toward raising your book’s sales rank in the “overall” category, as well. And even though your book is a bestseller only in one category, you still get the boasting rights of being an Amazon.com bestseller.