Recently, I was asked by an aspiring writer how I formed my characters or if I used a questionnaire. While writing my first novel, I soon found that it was a must to have a questionnaire. Otherwise, half-way through your work, your hero who is 6'4" with dark wavy hair and sapphire blue eyes may suddenly be 5'11" with sandy hair and green eyes! Following, is the questionnaire that I use.
1. Name... make a list, then choose the best name for your character. If you have a problem thinking of names, browse through a baby naming book or a telephone directory.
3. Physical description to include hair, eyes, nose, mouth, shape of face, complexion, height, weight, scars, tatoos, most striking feature, least attractive feature.
5. Pet Peeves
6. Best Quality
7. Least desirable quality
11. Romantic Interests
13. Physical Disabilities
19. Clothing...What does he/she sleep in?
20. Describe his or her home, mode of transportation
22. What doe he/she want?
23. What prevents him/her from obtaining it?
Hint: A book on zodiac signs will assist you in building characters. For instance, one born Mar. 21-Apr. 19, is born under the Sun sign of Aries. He or she could be described as energetic, foolhardy, courageous, competitive, ambitious, an innovator, and a pioneer. Aries is not diplomatic, but he is headstrong, independent, excitable, and may be belligerent. He suffers from headaches, migranes, and anxiety, etc. Recommend Book: "Timing is Everything; Astrology is the Key" by Wes Alister for sale at Author's Den, Amazon.com, or the author at http://www.weslynn.com