~Arts & Crafts To Do With Your Children~
(Adult supervision may be required)
. aluminum foil
. assorted objects--key, cotton swab, length of string, coin, button, safety pin, and so on
. hole punch
1. Collect small objects from around the house. Find ones that are relatively flat.
2. Glue the objects to a piece of cardboard.
3. Cover the cardboard with aluminum foil.
4. Secure the foil to the back of the cardboard with tape.
5. Press each object and rub your fingers around it so that it stands out. Be careful not to push too hard or foil will tear.
6. Punch a hole in the top of the cardboard. Tie a piece of yarn through the hole and hang your sculpture.
COMMEMORATIVE STAMP PLATE
. postage stamps
. paper plate
. white glue
. small container
1. Collect new or used postage stamps.
2. To remove used postage stamps from an envelope, soak them in a pan of water. Soon the stamps will come off the envelope. Gently lay the postage stamps on a flat surface and allow them to dry.
3. Glue or stick the postage stamps all over a paper plate. Fill the plate completely.
4. Trim off the extra paper plate edges.
5. Put a little white glue in a container. Add about the same amount of water and stir.
6. Brush the glue solution all over the stamps.
7. When the plate is dry, set it in a tabletop easel or hang it.
OATMEAL BOX PLANTER
. empty oatmeal box
. acrylic paints
. white glue
. small houseplant, (about a 4-inch pot)
. Spanish moss
1. Cut a rectangular section from the side of the oatmeal box.
2. Glue the cut-out section to the bottom of the box, to create a stand.
3. Glue the lid on the box.
4. Paint the box.
5. When the box is dry, set a small potted plant in the hole. Tuck some Spanish moss around the base of the plant.
. poster board or thin cardboard
. old magazines
1. Draw and cut out a cat from the poster board.
2. Add features with markers.
3. Cut out pictures of cats from old magazines.
4. Glue them in an overlapping manner all over the poster board cat's body. Don't glue pictures on the legs, tail, or head.
5. Trim the edges.
6. For more fun, make a dog collage.