Why Men Cheat: Top 10 Reasons Why Men Cheat
edited: Saturday, January 05, 2008
By Stephany Alexander
Rated "G" by the Author.
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2007
Become a Fan
Why do men cheat? Here are the top 10 reasons why men cheat.
Why men cheat on women is an age-old question. The reasons why men cheat on women can be varied. Nevertheless, we have compiled a list of the top 10 reasons why both married and unmarried men cheat.
Sometimes men's reasons for cheating don’t even involve you and it’s simply an ego-based decision. Other times, reasons why men cheat can involve you and your relationship, or lack thereof. So why do some men cheat in relationships? Almost all men know that cheating is wrong, yet many they still do it. Men will blame their reasons for cheating on their genes and their necessity to reproduce. However, aren’t we suppose to be further evolved than a chimp? Shouldn’t we be able to control our bodies through our minds and conscious decisions? Aparrently not always.
Here are the top 10 reasons why men cheat.
1. Because they had the option. The old saying “men are only as faithful as their options” can sometimes ring true . Men don’t get offered sex as often as women so when the opportunity does arise, it can be very difficult for them to turn it down.
2. It boosts their ego. Sometimes men don’t feel like they are attractive to the opposite sex any more and when a woman shows some interest, not only does a man react, he may allow her to stroke his ego and more. There’s nothing like the thrill of the chase to men on the hunt. When they are finally rewarded for their efforts, their egos swell even larger.
3. You grow apart. Maybe the two of you didn’t have as much in common as you thought. He’s met a woman who has more in common with him who loves football or plays golf. He may check out if he is compatible with her under the sheets also.
4. You argue a lot. Men will sometimes cheat to get away from an overly critical or argumentative partner. Who wants to be around someone who is constantly on them about something.
5. They have fallen out of love. Sometimes men become so comfortable in a relationship, they don’t know how to get out. They may be staying in the relationship because of children or financial reasons. However, they feel like they are missing out on love and may seek it out elsewhere. In their mind, this is as close to win-win as they can get.
6. Your sex life sucks. If a man has a disinterested partner or isn’t getting enough sex to fulfill him, there is a good chance he will have an affair. Just because you have a husband or boyfriend, does not mean you can stop trying. It takes a little bit of effort to keep your sex life from getting boring and non-existent. Some men cheat because they want to try new sexual things that their current partner will not try.
7. To get revenge. A man will sometimes cheat if he finds out his partner was cheating on him. How else is he supposed to heal those hurt feelings of his but through good old fashioned sex?
8. It’s new, different and exciting. Some men get tired of having steak for dinner every night and want to try a hamburger. The same goes for sex with a woman. That’s why men don’t necessarily always cheat with women who are more attractive than their partners.
9. To see if they can get away with it. If a man has the attitude of “what she doesn’t know, won’t hurt her,” he may cheat to see if he is sneaky and smart enough to get away with it. However, with all the advancement in surveillance spy ware, getting caught has now become easier than ever.
10. Because you have allowed it in the past. If you have forgiven a cheating man a couple of times, they are more than likely going to cheat again because they already know if they plead enough, you will forgive them. Reasons why men cheat can be more complex than the above list or even be a combination of a few different reasons. Nevertheless, no reason is good enough reason to lie and be dishonest. After all, Karma can be a bitch.
Written by: Infidelity Expert, Stephany Alexander, B.A., Author, Women's Speaker
Credentials: Stephany Alexander is the founder of www.WomanSavers.com, one of the most popular women's sites on the net (top 5%) receiving millions of hits per month.
* Founder - highest trafficked abused women's message board on the net
* Founder of Largest Online Database of Men in the World
* Author of 'Sex, Lies and the Internet,' A Survival Guide to Online Dating http://www.sexliesandtheinternet.com
* Infidelity expert on numerous talks shows and call-in radio shows - Author of over 50 articles on online dating and relationships
* Author of 22 dating and relationship quizzes
* Internet Polling Expert on relationship and dating issues, surveying over 350,000 women in on-line polls
* Creator of 9 women's comedy cartoon e-cards, including one claymation
* Creator of 6 women's online games, one arcade quality
Ms. Alexander is frequently called on by the media as the nation's leading Infidelity Expert. Featured on: CNN, CBS, FOX, Sirius Satellite, KROQ, KIIS, Mike & Juliet Show, Good Day Las Vegas, Esquire Magazine, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and countless radio shows.
Web Site: WomanSavers.com - World's Largest Database Rating Men
Want to review or comment on this article?
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!
|Reviewed by R Petrauskaite (Reader)
|I'm a woman, and I think that whoever cheats is a disrespectful person. They're an undesirable partner. I'm the type of person who is almost always honest. One of the few exceptions when I wasn't honest was when I agreed to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the US. In fact, I would refuse to "bear arms" on behalf of the US. :) So, yes, I in a way disrespected the officials who want others to "bear arms." But does that make me an undesirable partner?|
|Reviewed by crystal loar (Reader)
|I don't know what is wrong with me? I can sex all the the time everyday with my spouse but yet he doesn't. So is he cheatin ? We have since divorced n confessed he did cheat with one female. At the time before devorce but not now we are back together n he buys condoms n says he masterbates with them. Is there somethin wrong there n sweara up an down that he isn't cheatin n told me he is goin to cheat if I ask him about them again? Confused??|
|Reviewed by Tanay Das
|Why do men cheat?
Is monogamy really a myth?
Are guys predestined to cheat because it is human nature?
Scientists have long explained that men are biologically motivated to seek out multiple sex partners. This natural instinct ensures a healthy gene pool and the survival of our species.
If this is true, then one cannot expect fidelity from a man. It kind of lets guys off the hook when they wander doesn't it?
So why do they feel guilty? If it is a man's biological right to have sex wherever, whenever, with whomever, why should they worry about being caught?
Because somewhere along the way, self imposed "ethics" and "morality" placed restrictions on human behavior…including sex!
Perhaps if guys didn't seem to derive such pleasure from sex, it wouldn't be such a sin. Think about it. If sex with multiple partners were just another "chore" for men as cleaning house and cooking meals is to women, would we get upset about it?
Probably not…poor guys! ;)
Nevertheless…men do enjoy sex…a lot…and not always with their partner!
|Reviewed by Kaya Camilla (Reader)
|I think that people cheat, men and women alike, when the opportunity arises. There will always be gaps and struggles in relationships: emotional, financial and sexual! And these are huge reasons why men and women cheat. When they are faced with temptations, they become overwhelmed by it and they seize the chance to take advantage of a situation where they can get pleasure knowing that an affair will remain a secret after all. Certainly, it’s a human fault with the norms of society not allowing polygamy. Only a person with an utmost self-control, respect, and love for the partner cannot ever dare cheat.
|Reviewed by Michael Eads
|Nothing new here. This “so called list” of the reasons why men cheat on their spouses can be applied with equal conviction to the reasons why women do the same thing. The only difference is: when a man does it he is considered a Pig. However, when a woman does it she can make the claim that her needs weren’t being met. If anyone should doubt this just watch the movies: Fatal Attraction and The Bridges of Madison County for your proof. A complete double standard!|
|Reviewed by TraVon Williams
|wow... i love the articles, however, I am a gay black male, but our endeavors dealing with ifidelity, responsibility and accountability in partnerships are a constant endeavor of mine.|
|Reviewed by KJ Jacobs
|When it happened to me, this was a prominent question. Why? We had a good marriage, no problems in bed, no fighting,and I suppose the only thing left was, she was there at work. She wanted him, tempted him and his ego had to prove it was still at work. He lost a good woman and he knows it. It's a shame that some men cannot see what they have until it's gone. I suppose women are the same, although, I feel that most of us, think before we act. We were in our 2nd year of marriage and it ended before the fourth year. KJ Jacobs|
|Reviewed by m j hollingshead
|Reviewed by Marilyn Barnicke Belleghem M.Ed.
|Many people cheat without understanding the long term consequences of their behavior and are shocked when they are held accountable. It takes two to make a marriage or committed relationship but only one can throw it away. Good points here.|
|Reviewed by Carol B (Reader)
|I always like to have why's and these 10 jumped out to me as i read. I agree that there are probably many other reasons as well. well written and a good insight..Tyvm|
|Reviewed by Ellie Dylan
|They're hardly taking control of 'their' environment are they though Reginald Johnson? They're sneaking off with someone away from their environment, unless a man's environment is merely his own body. If he truly wanted to take control (or better still reach an understanding with his partner) wouldn't he be better staying and facing any problems head on? If that's not possible then agree to split, move away. Cheating....sneaky and disrespectful|
|Reviewed by Reginald Johnson
|Your top ten reasons are all points well taken. However, I think the number one reason men cheat on their loved ones is ... control of their environment. Some women, unfortunately, are manipulative. They present a supportive, compassionate, willing-to-compromise facade in the beginning stages of a relationship ... then turn into a intransigent monster (metaphorically speaking) once the dust settles.|
|Reviewed by Marcia Miller-Twiford
|As much as it hurts when a man cheats on you I have to understand the why. They're designed to procreate. It's their driving force whether their always aware of it or not. Men think about sex thousands of times a day. It's always uppermost in their minds. Women, most women that is, think of it infrequently. To women it represents love, to men it's a compulsion. I enjoyed your write very much. I've had the faithful kind and I've had the cheating kind; they were all great.|