Things don't always go as we dream in the publishing game.
10 Things that might happen after you publisher your first book. Or not!
1. You MIGHT have people standing in line at your first book signing
OR you might have no one show up except your sister.
2. You MIGHT get a full page write up in the local newspaper for your book.
OR you might get one paragraph on a page you share with six self-published books on the history of carrot farming in your hometown.
3. You MIGHT be asked to speak at your local book club.
OR your local library might refuse to shelf your book due to questionable literary or moral value.
4. You MIGHT get 5 star reviews
OR you might not even get a meteorite.
5. You MIGHT get some cool cover art that will draw readers like flies to road kill.
OR you might get a cover that resembles road kill and has nothing in common with your book except title and your name. (Which is misspelled)
6. You MIGHT have hundreds of friends and relatives buy your book.
OR you might have hundreds of friends and relatives who expect you to give them a free copy.
7. You MIGHT get some great testimonial quotes from some famous authors.
OR you might have to ask the clerk at the newspaper stand to write you something.
8. You MIGHT get invited to be a keynote speaker at a national conference.
OR you might get to carry the keynote’s speaker’s luggage to the elevator.
9. You MIGHT get some wonderful congratulations from coworkers and your boss.
OR you might get fired for writing material that is detrimental to the image of the company.
10. You MIGHT be offered a contract for the next book in the series.
OR your publisher might want to wait and see how your first book performs.
What you MIGHT not do is ever give up. Keep on writing.
THE GREATER GOOD, now in print
THE LESSER EVIL
Both available now from New Concepts Publishing