· Crazy is Normal a classroom exposé
· My Splendid Concubine, 3rd edition
· Running with the Enemy
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 13
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 12
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 11
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 10
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 9
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 8
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 7
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 6
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 5
· Crazy is Normal, a classroom exposé, Scene 4
· The Improvement of U.S. Public Schools
· Learning Twitter for Authors
· Discover how Amazon changed book cover design
· Authors Finding Readers
· How I sold almost 2,000 books in twenty hours TWICE
· It is Time – Relief for Victims of Lone-Wolf Killers such as James Holmes
· Living on the thin side of Black Ice
· Getting Oriented
· Learning to Love and Hate while teaching ESL in the Middle Kingdom
· The Release of The Concubine Saga is another Cheap Marketing Ploy
· The birth of a child called Prose
· The Luxury of Heartache
· Learning from Death
· Putting Cupid's Arrows on Ice
· The Never-Ending Book Promotion Blues
· Walking the Path of Dead Explorers
· LIttle No More
· M. Denise Costello reviews Crazy is Normal
· On Tour: Crazy is Normal, a classroom expose
· Comparing a virtual book tour to the traditional, and why go on a book tour
· “Crazy is Normal” on a Virtual Book Blog Tour
· “Crazy is Normal” on a Virtual Book Blog Tour
· “Crazy is Normal” on a Virtual Book Blog Tour
· Running with the Enemy
Lloyd Lofthouse, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
I'm not going to talk about what might happen but what has already happened.
In fact, history is the best teacher—not a fortuneteller with a crystal ball looking into a future that might not materialize.
Fortunetellers warned us that the world was going to end on May 21, 2011. It did not unless we are all ghosts.
Now the fortunetellers say they made a mistake and it will happen on October 21, 2011. I wonder how much money these fortunetellers make off gullible fools.
Conservatives are doing an excellent job of deflecting the blame from those that are responsible for the growth of the national debt. Once you spend time studying the history of the National Debt, you will learn that President Obama is not guilty for the mess we have today.
I was reading the AARP Bulletin this morning for June 2011, and if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have been curious enough to dig deeper into the history of the National Debt to discover the truth that the Republican Party doesn't want Americans to remember.
The AARP Bulletin taught me that the national debt is older than America. In fact, Alexander Hamilton called it "the price of liberty".
The accumulation of debt, Hamilton wrote is "perhaps the NATURAL DISEASE of all governments," and America had a national debt before it was a nation.
A quick history of the national debt will reveal which presidents are responsible for growing this cancer the most and the reasons for most of that growth.
From Executive Gov.com, we learn "The first debt limit was passed in 1917 on the eve the United States’ entry into World War I. In fact, according to the Congressional Research Service report, the measure helped finance the nation’s war effort."
"Originally, Congress had to approve specific loan and bond issues individually, but in creating the debt ceiling, it essentially turned the management of federal debt over to the Treasury, while retaining control through a limit on total federal debt.”
The debt ceiling was raised repeatedly during World War II, once every year from 1941 to 1945. In the years immediately following the war, the ceiling was actually lowered.
However, according to the CRS report, since 1962, Congress voted through 74 separate measures to raise the debt ceiling.
Of those 74, 10 occurred in the past decade according to National Journal reports. Seven of those ten happened under Republican President G. W. Bush.
If you click on this link and look at the National Debt Chart, you will discover which presidents are responsible for most of the growth in the National Debt. You will learn that under Democratic Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, the National Debt was either stable and did not grow much or was reduced.
Then G. W. Bush moved into the White House and added more to the National Debt than any president in US history including President Obama (to date).
CBS News tells us, "By the time George W. Bush was inaugurated in 2001, the National Debt stood at $5.7-trillion. He ran up more debt faster than nearly all of his predecessors combined: just under $4.9-trillion."
The National Debt stood at $10.6-trillion on the day Barack Obama took office.
To date, President Obama has added $3.7 trillion to the national debt. Do not forget, if you study the history of the National Debt, war adds to that debt faster than almost anything else does, and Obama did not start the wars that he inherited from President G. W. Bush.
1. The war against terror
2. The Iraq War
3. The war in Afghanistan
According to the Center for Defense Information, the estimated cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will reach $1.29 trillion by the end of fiscal year 2011. Source: Info Please
In addition, the Congressional Research Service says, "Between 2009 and 2010, average monthly DOD spending for Afghanistan grew from $4.4 billion to $6.7 billion a month."
Then, let us not forget the 2008 global financial crises, which originated in the US under the watch of a Republic president.
On June 5, 2011, according to Total Collapse, the global financial crisis of 2008 that President Obama inherited from G. W. Bush cost over $20 trillion, caused millions of people to lose their jobs and homes in the worst recession since the Great Depression, and nearly resulted in a global financial collapse.
Ever since that crash, Republicans and their mouthpieces such as the Tea Party, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Anne Coulter have been scrambling to shift the blame to the Democrats and President Obama.
What is the lesson to be learned?
The next time conservatives or liberals attempt to scare you with predictions of a future that may never happen, look back at history for the facts to discover who is responsible for the mess.
Don't buy into fear of the future from a fortuneteller staring into a cloudy crystal ball. These people do not want you to know the truth.
Lloyd Lofthouse is the award-winning author of the concubine saga, My Splendid Concubine & Our Hart. When you love a Chinese woman, you marry her family and culture too.
Crazy Normal - the Classroom Expose
Reader Reviews for
"The Story behind the National Debt"
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!
|Reviewed by Lloyd Lofthouse
How much California spends on dealing with illegal aliens is part of the California state budget and the states are not allowed deficit spending as the feds are. Since the feds print and mint money, they spend too freely.
However, your criticism of cheap labor or welfare as the culprit for the National Debt depends where you place your opinions and anger and how much you understand.
* U.S. Government Spending — http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/united_states_total_spending_pie_chart
The United States Total Spending Pie Chart for 2011 shows us that the Federal Budget is divided up into nine areas:
1. Health Care is the largest slice of the pie at 18%. (I suspect this is Medicare)
2. Defense and Federal Pensions each add 16% for 32% of the budget. However, that doesn't include people that work for state governments. For example, since I was a California Public School teacher and my retirement comes from CALstrs, which is self-funded by the members, my retirement is not part of that slice of the national pie.
3. Education is the fourth largest slice of the pie at 14% and that does not count what each state pays for the public education systems. Each state also has a budget for public education but that money is not part of the national pie and does not contribute to the national debt. The majority of the cost of education is carried by each state. Federal funds are not the majority of money spent on education.
4. What we call Welfare makes up an 11% slice of the national budget.
In 1996, under the Bill Clinton administration, Congress passed the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act, which gave control of the welfare system back to the states. Because welfare is no longer under the control of the federal government, there are basic requirements the states need to meet with regards to welfare services. Still, most states offer basic assistance, such as health care, food stamps, child care assistance, unemployment, cash aid, and housing assistance. After reforms, which President Clinton said would "end welfare as we know it," amounts from the federal government were given out in a flat rate per state based on population. Following these changes, millions of people left the welfare rolls (a 60% drop overall), employment rose, and the child poverty rate was reduced. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare#United_States
5. Protection is 5% (I imagine that some of this 400 or so billion goes toward Homeland Security and patrolling our borders in an attempt to slow and keep out illegals coming to the US to work in the fields or sweatshops.
6. Annual interest for the National Debt today is 5% or about $400 billion.
7. Transportation is 4%
8. The costs of running the general Government is 2%.
* Social Security's Enduring Truths by James Roosevelt Jr. — http://www.aarp.org/work/social-security/info-06-2011/social-security-truths.html
Social Secruity is labeles as an entitlement program and many critics in the US mistakenlgy think this means welfare. Not true.
We never hear how Social Security is funded and I suspect many Americans believe Social Security is also adding to the National Debt and needs to be cut. An excellent piece in the the AARP Bulletin by James Roosevelt Jr., the grandson of FDR, clears this up. Social Security is self-funded by the contributions of the workers and the law does not allow tax money to go toward Social Security.
Where does the deficit come from? Overspending. The US government spends about $3 for every $2 that comes in as revenues such as that collected by the IRS in taxes.
The Iraq war to date has cost about $800 billion.
The interest on the National Debt averages about $400 billion. This means that since Obama has been in office, the US has paid out more than a trillion dollars in interest payments and that has added to the National Debt. Subtract the cost of the Iraq War and the interest on the National Debt due to overspending and that just about covers what the US is spending on welfare today.
As for foreign aid, The OECD calculated that (in 2008) the US spent about $25 billion in foreign aid per year. I wonder where this item fits within the federal budget.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_foreign_aid_does_the_US_Government_give_away#ixzz1PBBOHKB6
Who Gets U.S. Foreign Aid
The U.S. will give an estimated $26 billion in foreign aid in 200870% more than when President George W. Bush took office (the figure doesnt include funds related to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan). More than 150 countries get financial assistance from the U.S. Here are the six that received the most this year.
COUNTRY AID PURPOSE
1. Israel $2.4 billion Virtually all of this money is used to buy weapons (up to 75% made in the U.S.). Beginning in 2009, the U.S. plans to give $30 billion over 10 years.
2. Egypt $1.7 billion $1.3 billion to buy weapons; $103 million for education; $74 million for health care; $45 million to promote civic participation and human rights.
3. Pakistan $798 million $330 million for security efforts, including military-equipment upgrades and border security; $20 million for infrastructure.
4. Jordan $688 million $326 million to fight terrorism and promote regional stability through equipment upgrades and training; $163 million cash payment to the Jordanian government.
5. Kenya $586 million $501 million to fight HIV/AIDS through drug treatment and abstinence education and to combat malaria; $15 million for agricultural development; $5.4 million for programs that promote government accountability.
6. South Africa $574 million $557 million to fight TB and HIV/AIDS; $3 million for education.
7. Mexico $551 million Click here for details.
8. Colombia $541 million Click here for details.
9. Nigeria $491 million Click here for details.
10. Sudan $479 million Click here for details.
*Source: Estimates based on figures and documents from the U.S. Department of State. Click here for more information.
Historically, who has increased the National Debt the Most?
President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $100 Billion in one year!
President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $200 Billion in one year!
President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $300 Billion in one year!
President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $400 Billion in one year!
President George W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $500 Billion in one year!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion AGAIN! Almost hits $600 Billion!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a THIRD time!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FOURTH time!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FIFTH time!
Please explain how cheap labor and illegal immigrant contributes to the National Debt?
This New York Times piece is revelaing about illegals and cheap labor.
"In contrast to the typical image of an illegal immigrant — paid in cash, working under the table for small-scale labor contractors on a California farm or a suburban construction site — a majority now work for mainstream companies, not fly-by-night operators, and are hired and paid like any other American worker."
"More than half of the estimated seven million immigrants toiling illegally in the United States get a regular paycheck every week or two, experts say. At the end of the year they receive a W-2 form. Come April 15, many file income tax returns using special ID numbers issued by the Internal Revenue Service so foreigners can pay taxes. Some even get a refund check in the mail."
And USA Today says, "Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time."
USA Today says, "In 2006, then IRS Commission Mark Everson told Congress that "many illegal aliens, utilizing ITINs, have been reporting tax liability to the tune of almost $50 billion from 1996 to 2003."
An IRS spokesman said more recent figures aren't available.
The Social Security and Medicare taxes from mismatched W2s for the same period was $41.4 billion, Hinkle said.
That adds up to roughly $90 billion in federal taxes during the eight-year period.
He calculates that illegal immigrants contributed $428 billion dollars to the nation's $13.6 trillion gross domestic product in 2006. That number assumes illegal immigrants are 30% less productive than other workers.
Journal.US says, "Illegal Immigrants Pay Billion in Taxes..."
Journal US says, "According to the Congressional Budget Office and the Social Security Administration, undocumented immigrants pay many different types of taxes, including sales, property, and social security taxes individual income,..."
"Officially, the Social Security Administration estimates that about seventy five percent (75%) of illegal workers contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare by paying taxes."
|Reviewed by - - - - - TRASK
|And This State Mexifornia Alone Blew Your Our TAXPAYER$ On Illegals Aliens Year 2010: $23.5 Billion$...
Huh-I Guess That(Cheap Labor/Welfare ) Doesn't Have Anything Do With National Debt?
Lloyd: While I Appreciate All Trouble You Went To In Writing Above-I Do Not Believe Any US.Gov Statistics Or Anything US.Gov Mass Media Is Controlled By--Quoting Them Is Nice--Illegals Paid $428 Billion$ To Trillon$ To Gross Domestic Product? Its Biggest Farce Yet Hidden In Covered Conned By US.Gov As Mass Media!
I Really Believe You Should Become Homeless Live Sleep In Streets Los Angelese Sleazy "Sanctuary City" For 1 Month --Boy Will Your Attitude Change!
|Reviewed by Terry Rizzuti
|Good essay, Lloyd. Keep in mind we have now added two more wars, Libya and Yemen, and three actually if you count the shifted escallation from Iraq to Afghanistan. So I think the end of Obama's administration will show at least a national-debt tie increase with Dubya's.|
|Reviewed by Gene Williamson
|A powerful essay, Lloyd. But will we acknowledge the
past--and will we learn from it? -gene.