10 reasons to write a book.
Studies have shown that 82% of people want to write a book, but few of these actually ever achieve that goal. Here are 10 reasons you should overcome your blocks and write your book.
- Demonstrate your expertise. You may have spent long years gathering your expertise in a subject. You have notes and seminars, training programs and articles. You may even be a speaker on your subject. Having a book further elevates you in people’s eyes so you are perceived as the expert.
- Grow your business. If you market your books to a wider audience, it can be a means to attract new people to your business. They may read your book and then want your professional services to help them in their business. The book then functions as a giant business card.
- Use as a product to sell. You can create another stream of income by writing a book and selling it, either on the internet or in bookstores. You can create spin off products relating to the book that your market may be interested in.
- Say something important. Maybe you are passionate about a cause, maybe you have a story that needs to be told. Your voice is important and your words can be heard if you get them out there. Write your story and inspire others. You don’t know how your words can help other people in their own lives.
- Start a new career. If you have always wanted to be an author, then writing a book is the way to start this career. Many people talk about being “an author”, but you do actually have to write something to become one! It may take a few years, but you can have a career as an author.
- Fulfil a life goal. If 82% of people want to write a book, how many of these consider it a life goal worth achieving? In these days of digital printing, print-on-demand and small print runs, you can achieve your goal of writing a book even with a small budget. So state your goal, and get writing!
- Status and confidence. Authors are generally respected. People look at you differently when you say you are an author. This will also give you confidence. If you can write a book, and achieve your goal, then you have will have become a more interesting and accomplished person in the process.
- You don’t have to do it alone. If you want to write but you are unsure how to, there are plenty of courses and tips online to help you. If you have the raw material, you can find a freelancer to help you write or edit it. If you need a community of people to discuss your ideas with, there are groups online and locally you can join. Writers are everywhere. Start to share your ideas and you will find the support you need.
- Be immortal. A print book will contain your words after you are gone. The internet will become ever more cluttered, but print books are difficult to throw away so they carry on giving for a long time. People may give them to charity shops, or to friends, but seldom will they go in the trash.
- Learn about yourself and open the door to new opportunity. Writing a book can reveal many things, and you can discover a new self in the process of writing. It can open your eyes to new opportunities and ways you can improve your life and other people’s.
So pick up that pen, or sit down at the computer and get writing!