Mind Power for Author Success
edited: Sunday, October 25, 2009
By Fiona Robyn Ingram
Rated "G" by the Author.
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009
Become a Fan
Use the power of your mind to achieve amazing author success
By Fiona Ingram
In this article you will learn an amazing and simple technique to transform your life and achieve author success. This ‘magical’ technique is Alpha, a level of the mind where you are thinking on the inner and deeper levels of creativity and awareness. This is the level where you can transform your old patterns of thinking, and see and feel the success you deserve and desire. This easy method of programming your desires is the cornerstone for success. Our thoughts, words, and actions act as tools of creation. We attract what we secretly believe we deserve or else what we keep saying e.g. “I will never succeed/it’s too difficult/there are too many other writers out there/I’m not good enough.” Thus we attract failure.
In this article, you will learn how to change those deep-rooted beliefs. You may be thinking, “I’ve done all this before and it doesn’t work!” You may have either used or read about the techniques in this article before. There is a reason why it didn’t work. The difference here is you will learn the successful application of these techniques in your life, and realize where the system can fail through the human factor. This article will show you how to succeed and how to eliminate error. You are in charge of your own destiny because your thought patterns will dictate success or failure. The most difficult thing about this method is that it begins and ends with you. The easiest thing about this method is that it begins and ends with you. Cynicism will block you so put disbelief aside and have the faith of a child that you can have what you want.
This article is not just words and head space. In order for you to really benefit from the information, please enter into the suggested exercises with wholehearted enthusiasm. This is the one chance you have to spend time with your thoughts and self, putting your ideas and dreams down on paper, mentally reassessing where you have been going wrong, and creating a new direction in your life. Prepare to succeed. During your reading you will be encouraged to tap into your powerful mental tool—your imagination—whenever possible, to cement your mental images and make them reality. Your thoughts are powerful so think positive! Focus on fruition! You want the success that is yours.
Visualization techniques have been used forever (read The Secret to see how far back it goes!), and very particularly in sports training programs before hitting the self help seminars circuit. Many people have gone to seminars, read books, listened to audio material, done all they were told to do … and found it didn’t work. Why doesn’t it work? You emerge from the seminar, buoyed up and inspired, only to find that a few weeks or days later, your energy has gone, your wishes have not come true … and it has been a waste of time or money. Perhaps the course, book or tape did not impress upon you the secret to making this kind of method work. It’s like a gym membership—you can’t just join without going and actually doing some exercise ….
- How The Mind Works. In a nutshell, the mind operates on four levels—Beta, Alpha, Delta, Theta. Beta (active) is the outer consciousness level we use to perform tasks and go about our daily business. Alpha (relaxed) is the inner consciousness level, where we use our imagination, where our ideas spring from. Theta is our subconscious and emotional level. Delta is the unconscious level. Our main concern is with Beta and Alpha. Although Beta is great for performing all those necessary tasks, including actually writing a book/poetry etc, it can be a stumbling block because Beta will be the part of you that says, “Don’t be ridiculous. Look what you’re up against. You can’t possibly be a world-famous published author.” In Alpha, that’s where we get to run free with our dreams, see ourselves signing book contracts, signing books, waving to fans… sigh… The beauty of your mind is that with a little retraining, you’ll be putting those wonderful thoughts from Alpha into your Beta mental framework, and your conscious thoughts will reflect the new pattern for success.
- There are 3 Laws of the Mind.
i) Your imagination is the most powerful force within you.
ii) The body will strive to achieve whatever the mind conceives.
iii) You must mentally experience something using all your senses before you can physically achieve it.
- Your Dream Diary. The brain cannot tell the difference between fantasy and reality, providing you make it as real as possible. So, you have to tap into the Alpha part of your brain and program your success. Find a space for yourself on the floor, using a blanket and pillows to make yourself comfortable. I do not suggest a bed because all too often the tendency is to fall asleep. Make sure you will be undisturbed and dim the lights. You may want a friend to talk you through the session. Firstly, you will take yourself down into the Alpha state of relaxation using the colors of the rainbow. (There is a chart at the end of the article to help). Start with Red, then Orange, then Yellow, then Green, Blue, Purple and Lilac. As you ‘see’ each color, feel your body relaxing deeper and deeper into the floor. You do not have to use this technique if you have followed any Chakra methods, or you have your own technique. Just get into a relaxed mode any way that suits you. Once you feel yourself there, visualize a path that takes you to a special place, your Mind Studio. You may imagine it in any way you like: ultra modern office, a cozy study, an old library full of antiques … whatever pleases you. Here you will find your Dream Diary where it’s time to create, in Alpha, what you want. Go to the writing desk where you will be doing your ‘mind work.’ Sit down. In front of you is a beautiful diary. The cover is as exquisite as you imagine it to be. Open your Dream Diary. Pick up your pen. It can be anything from a plain ballpoint to an expensive fountain pen. Here is where you will write your mantra for success.
- Say What you Want for Success. If you don’t know what you want, how can you get what’s right for you? The visualization and mantra will fix your wish list in your mind. A focused wish leads to fruition of the desire. Your mantra can be something like this: “I am a world-famous, award-winning writer. My books are sold in their millions. I bring joy and happiness to readers worldwide. My characters are real and believable; my plots are amazing and unique. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams.” Those are just some of the things writers usually want. Create your own. It doesn’t have to be long, but it does have to encompass exactly what you want. When you order a meal from a restaurant, don’t you usually order exactly what you want? Now, in your imagination write it in your Dream Diary. Then look up and see yourself doing all those things you dream of: signing the six-figure deal, signing books, chatting to fans, enjoying the fruits of your success. Feel your happiness: see it, hear it, smell it, touch it, taste it. Imagine yourself celebrating your book contract with friends and family. This is your dream, so enjoy it any way you like. When you are ready, come out of your relaxed state. If you have used the rainbow method, then simply reverse the colours from Lilac back to Red. (Tip: you can also use this Alpha method to become more creative and inspired in your writing)
- Write it Down. Write your mantra on a piece of paper and paste it somewhere you have to look every day—a bathroom mirror, your computer, next to your bed. The next step is vital to success: SAY IT EVERY DAY. You can’t say something once and expect it to happen. The only thing you must do once is visualize deeply what you want. After that, your short simple mantra will remind your subconscious mind of your ‘wish list,’ and go to work to bring it to you. Repetition is the key to success.
- Say It Believing It. This can be difficult for some people. In the visualization you should experience your wish with all your senses—see, smell, hear, touch, taste—and then feel the most wonderful sense of happiness. After that, all you must do is feel the happiness of success, and when you say your mantra, you will be infusing it with your senses.
- Do Something About It. Lying on the floor and creating an amazing visualization is not enough; saying it every day is also not enough. You have to do something about getting your success. See my gym analogy above! If you don’t write your book, you won’t get anywhere. If you don’t market your book, ditto. My other two articles will guide you as to the nuts and bolts of making your success happen.
- Deny Failure. This is often difficult, but failure is just a manifestation of the Fear Factor, all the things we accumulate over the years starting from the very first time someone at junior school said, “You’re stupid/You’ll never succeed, etc.” The setbacks, wounds, and hurts that we experience in early years somehow manage to insidiously undermine our confidence. You can be in the middle of great things and a nasty sneaky thought like, “I can’t do it,” jumps into your conscious mind. Push it away, and refresh your inner mind with your mantra and the overwhelming sense of happiness you felt while visualizing success. Although you don’t have to visit your Mind Studio again, sometimes just popping back helps to reinforce the good stuff. Trust in yourself and your abilities, and then follow the practical steps. Success is inevitable. Success will be yours.
Why will this work? Why does an apple fall to the ground after being tossed in the air? THE LAW OF GRAVITY!
Why will you get what you desire after reading this article and following instructions afterward? THE LAW OF ATTRACTION!
YOUR COLOUR GUIDE TO ALPHA
Enter Alpha: Lie flat on your back, relaxed and with a small cushion behind your head. Cover up with light rug. Count down from 20 to 1 and then see your colours Red to Lilac. Count down 12 to 1 to enter your Mind Studio.
Exit Alpha: Count 1 to 12 to exit Mind Studio. See through colours Lilac to Red. Count 1 to 20 to wake up.
You can use the Alpha Technique every day by referring to the chart below. If you are a gemstone person then use the stones corresponding to areas that are important. If you have difficulty visualizing some colors, then check on this chart the Chakra areas (listed first) where you could have stumbling block issues.
- Base—Red—Security/Survival/Family Etc. Gem: Ruby/Red Jasper/Red Tiger’s Eye
- Sacral—Orange—Emotion/Sexuality/Creativity. Gem: Sardonyx/Carnelian
- Solar Plexus—Yellow—Energy/Self Assertion& Esteem. Gem: Topaz/Amber/Citrine
- Heart—Green—Love/Balance/Well Being. Gem: Emerald/Aventurine/Malachite
- Throat—Blue—Communication & Expression. Gem: Turquoise/Sapphire
- Forehead—Purple (Indigo)—Insight/Visualization/Intuition. Gem: Purple Amethyst
- Crown—Lilac—Subconscious/Higher Self/Spiritual Wisdom. Gem: Clear Quartz
Fiona Ingram has just published her first children’s novel, The Secret of the Sacred Scarab. She is a full-time author in Johannesburg, South Africa. Fiona Ingram also offers in-depth courses in self-marketing and book promotion techniques. These courses are limited to South African writers although please feel free to contact Fiona for advice and tips.
Copyright 2009 Fiona Ingram