TRASHCAN MAN DEPT.
SCAVENGING FOR FUN AND PROFIT
"I love trash" the famous battlecry of Oscar the Grouch is also that of the good scavenger as well. Depending upon your area (the more populated and less thifty the better) just about any essential item can be many times be found in the garbage. We have personally pulled out clothes, boots, gourmet food, tapes, records, working radios, appilances, furniture, and even liquor from dumpsters. Scavenging can save you lots of money because why buy something when you can find it. In addition, if you're good at woodworking, mechanics, or electronics you can fix up throwaway furniture, tv's, stereos, and the like and resell them. In most areas you can take old aluminum, brass, or copper and sell it for scrap. If you aren't already scavengering, do it today, you don't know what you're missing out on. The lising below suggests some places to start.
* THRIFT STORES- Sometimes you can find clothes that are out- of- season or stuff they get rid off when they're overstocked.
* COLLEGE CAMPUSES- College kids are usually so wasteful and pampered that when the semester ends many of them will dispose of perfectly working radio's, appliances, or furniture on the account that "mommy and daddy" will probably just buy them a new one, especially if the item is big and bulky. Take advantage of big private rich colleges where they're dorms and the students drive nice cars for the best shit.
* WHEN NEIGHBORS MOVE OUT- Many times the trash will leftovers from yard sales but at times you can find unopened cans of food, kitchen appilances, furniture in fairly good condition, medicine cabinet leftovers. It is best to find a freind with a car and search a neighborhood (the richer the better) for yard sales. Note them and check for when they're moving out.
* RESTAURANTS- The old stanby's such as fast food places are becoming harder these days due to an increase of garbage technology (like compactors) but some are still good like Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken. However- many of these places are anal about scavengers. Some will even threaten to call the police on you. If this happens simply clean up after yourself, walk away a few minutes, and come back. Pizzeria's are usually still good for getting unwanted pizzas or fucked up ones. Also good places for free food are convenience stores like 7-11 and Conoco.
* CONSTRUCTION SITES- These are excellent places to find materials such as lumber, windows, doors, and bricks. It's best to go there at night when noone is working. A word of warning some sites may have a night watchman on duty.
* COURTHOUSES- This one is unique probably but several months ago it was reported in Manhattan that some suspects going to court stashed weapons (including guns) in the trash cans outside the courthouse because of metal detectors. Some homeless people started discovering "free" knives and guns in the trash . Then the court officers caught on and most suspects I think stopped this practice. However, this may not be true in other cities. So if one is bored, got plenty of time, and feeling lucky about getting a free weapon- check that trash!! A word of warning- guns stashed away may be "dirty" (used in crimes).