As I, sat in front of my desk today preparing my article for todays. I thought to myself what topic I should write about that would help our readers understand the importance of using natural cleaning products. Then it came to me in order for the public to understand why the cleaning products we use are dangerous to us and hazardous to the environment we need to stop for a moment and go over the long-term effects.
How are the cleaning products we use in our home going to harm us in the end?
When consumers buy cleaning products, we expect them make the house sparkle and shine. We expect the house to have that powerful clean scent that you can smell as soon as you walk in the house and you expect it to smell that way throughout the house. Nowadays all the cleaning products cost a lot, so for the money we pay they better do the job right!
We use a widespread of scents, soaps, detergents, bleaching agents, softeners, polishes, and specific cleaners for bathrooms, glass, drains, and ovens to keep our homes sparkling and smelling clean. However, while the chemicals in cleaners foam, bleach, and disinfect to make our dishes, bathtubs and countertops gleaming and germ-free, many also play a role to indoor air pollution, are poisonous if ingested, and can be harmful if inhaled or touched. Scary if you think about it.
Cleaning ingredients differ in the type of health risk they create. Some cause acute, or immediate, dangers such as skin or respiratory irritation, watery eyes, or chemical burns, while others are associated with chronic, or long-term, effects such as cancer.
The most unsafe cleaning products are corrosive drain cleaners, oven cleaners, and acidic toilet bowl cleaners. These chemicals can cause severe burns on eyes, skin and, if ingested, on the throat and esophagus. Ingredients with high acute toxicity include chlorine bleach and ammonia, which produce fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and should not be used by individuals who have asthma conditions, any type of lung or heart problems.
Cleaning products that contain both chlorine and ammonia or ammonia and lye (in some oven cleaners) produces chloramine gases, while chlorine combined with acids (used often in toilet bowl cleaners) forms toxic chlorine gas.
Fragrances added to many cleaners, most notably laundry detergents and fabric softeners, may cause acute effects such as:
· Respiratory irritation
· Watery eyes in sensitive individuals people with allergies or asthma sufferers.
The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has found that one-third of the substances used in the fragrance industry are toxic. However, because the chemical formulas of fragrances are considered trade secrets, companies do not have to list their ingredients publicly, but merely label them as containing "fragrance."
Other ingredients in cleaners may contain low acute toxicity but are part of the cause for long-term health illnesses such as
· Hormone disruption
Some all-purpose and other cleaners have toxins that can cause damage to the brain and nervous system in the end.
Chemicals that are so-called "hormone disruptors" can interfere with the body's natural chemical messages, either by blocking or mimicking the actions of hormones. Possible health effects include decreased sperm counts, increased rates of male birth defects such as cryptorchidism (undescended testicles) and hypospadias (where the urethra is on the underside of the penis), and increased rates of some kinds of cancers. The alkylphenol ethoxylates (APEs) used in some detergents and cleaners have been shown to mimic the hormone estrogen; one APE, p-nonylphenol, has caused estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells to multiply in a test tube study. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
After researching about cleaning product and the possible long-term effects it can cause, it makes you stop and think about the products we use and are they really worth buying. Yes, you will have a clean home, but is it worth scarifying your health. Why risk your health and the years you have on this planet for a sparkling home when you could have your health, long-life and a sparkling home by using natural cleaning products. You make the choice.
Stacey Chillemi has an Associate Degree in business, a BA in marketing and a minor in advertising. She has worked for NBC, Dateline, Channel 4 News, and other large companies. And has always had a strong background in Business and Marketing. She has also written speeches/proposals for other people speaking in front of congress. MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS: She is a H.O.P.E. Mentor, for the Epilepsy Foundation. Spoken at different events for schools, organizations, political events, and in front of Congress in Washington and anywhere her help is needed to educate people about epilepsy. She was on four talk shows. The interviews focused on the importance of understanding what epilepsy is, how to help someone having a seizure and giving people with epilepsy encouragement and hope for the future. Stacey has been on radio stations discussing epilepsy and appeared in many newspapers all over New Jersey such as, The Leader, Belleville Post and the Star Ledger. In addition, on June 26, 2002, the Epilepsy Foundation of New Jersey presented her an award for Outstanding Volunteer Award. She has received awards and certificates in recognition for outstanding efforts in trying to improve society and been an active participant in organizations and activities. She has been a role model to many individuals. She has written many published articles and has appeared three times on News 12 on the talk show New Jersey Women and has had articles written about her efforts to help people with epilepsy. She has contributed time to helping people with epilepsy and making society more aware of the disorder. Websites: http://www.sdcbooks.com http://www.authorsden.com/staceydchillemi http://www.lulu.com/staceychillemi