“Cosmetic surgery may once have been the domain of the rich and famous, but its popularity continues to grow. Every year, more than a million Americans seek cosmetic surgery.”
Our nose on our face distinguishes our appearance. A nose job can make you look like a completely different person. Believe or not!
The reasons people choose to have rhinoplasty surgery:
- The nose is a too large for their face
- The nose is too wide
- To remove a hump on their nose
- Reshape the tip of the nose
- Medical reasons
- A deviated septum
- People who have developed a irregular shaped nose due to injury
What is a nose job (rhinoplasty)?
Rhinoplasty, also referred to as a nose surgery (“nose job”) is one of the most common cosmetic procedures. A professional who is an expert surgeon in the field of rhinoplasty can reconstruct a people’s noses that look too big or wide for the person’s face. People who may want to consider rhinoplasty are:
When planning rhinoplasty, the surgeon will consider the patients features, the skin on their nose and what they would like changed. The upper portion of the nose is bone, and the lower portion is cartilage. Rhinoplasty can modify bone, cartilage or both.
Not everyone gets nose jobs to improve their physical appearance or to improve the shape of their nose. Many people have nose jobs for medical conditions. Nose surgery provides many benefits to people who have it.
Rhinoplasty referred to as a "nose job" and the surgery is performed for the following reasons:
- To improve an individual’s health
- To improve nasal function
- To correct breathing problems related to the nose
- To correct disfigurement of the nose that has occurred because of trauma or birth defects that cause the nose to take an abnormal shape.
Other conditions that can improve through rhinoplasty are:
- Deviated septum
- Mucosal swelling
- Enlarged turbinates
- Nasal polyps
- Structural problems
These conditions can affect an individual's ability to breathe, sleep, or carry out daily activities. They can also cause headaches. Some of these conditions improved through nose surgery.
Individuals also have rhinoplasty to enhance the appearance of their nose. Different types of improvements can made to perfect a person’s appearance enhancing their outer beauty. Some of these changes include the following:
- An increase in size
- A decreasing its size
- Making the nose wider
- Making the nose narrower
- Removing bumps from the nose
- Changing the nose’s contour
- Changing the noses
- Changing the noses size
- Changing the shape of the nostrils
- Change the angle between the nose and upper lip
During the consultation:
Before scheduling rhinoplasty, the patient must meet with your surgeon to discuss important factors that determine whether the procedure is likely to work well for them. This meeting generally includes:
- The patient’s medical history- The doctor will ask the patient questions about conditions they have or have had, as well as any current medications. The patient should always inform the plastic surgeon of any previous injury or surgery to the nose, allergies, or breathing problems. If they are considering rhinoplasty, they should discuss any important issues concerning their medical history.In addition, they need to inform the doctor of any medications, vitamins, or drugs being taken (including smoking). This includes herbal or natural remedies, too. If your are considering rhinoplasty and have a bleeding disorder, such as hemophilia, you may not be a candidate for a nose job.
- A physical examination- The doctor will conduct a complete physical examination, including any laboratory tests, such as blood tests. The surgeon also inspects the patients skin and the inside and outside of the patients nose. The physical exam helps the surgeon determine what changes need to be made and how their physical features — for example, the thickness of their skin or the strength of their cartilage at the end of their nose — may affect the results.
- Photographs- Someone from the doctor's office takes photographs of your nose from different angles. The doctor uses these photos for before-and-after assessments, reference during surgery and long-term reviews.
- Discussing the patient’s expectations–The patient and the doctor should talk about the patient’s motivations and expectations. The surgeon will explain what rhinoplasty can and cannot do. The doctor will also go over what your results might be.
The first visit
The cosmetic surgeon will evaluate the patient to see if the procedure is good for them.
After this evaluation, the surgeon can tell the patient:
1. If they make a good candidate for nose surgery
2. If their expectations are realistic
If the person is considering getting a nose job done for cosmetic reasons, the cosmetic surgeon will be able to tell them if the rhinoplasty will enhance their natural facial beauty.
The procedure - anesthesia
Rhinoplasty is usually done in the doctor’s office.
The types of anesthesia used on the patient:
- General anesthesia: With general anesthesia, the patient is able to sleep through the operation.
- Local anesthesia: With local anesthesia, the patient is sedated and the nose is numbed so the patient is relaxed and unable to feel the pain.
How a cosmetic surgeon performs a nose job - the surgical steps of rhinoplasty surgery
- Cuts are made within the nostrils of the nose
- The inner bone of the nose and cartilage shaped differently to match the structure of the face.
- The cosmetic surgeon will only remove small amounts of cartilage from the patient’s nose. The surgeon is able to change the shape of the nose by remolding the existing cartilage or by adding cartilage grafts. Because only a small amount of cartilage is removed, the structural strength of the nose is maintained and this ensures that the shape will not change over time as the nose heals.
- The splint is worn for the first week after the surgery.
- You will begin to see swelling and bruising around the eyes. It will get better in time – usually 3 days to two weeks.
- This swelling will go away over the next six months. The final shape of their nose will be apparent after it has healed completely.
- Stay away from vigorous pastime for three to four weeks after you had the surgery. They can return to their social activities in as soon as two to three weeks without any recognizable appearance that they had surgery.
- Rhinoplasty surgery is performed on a large number of teens each year. Rhinoplasty surgery seems to be popular with this age bracket, but surgeons advise that teens should wait until their at least fourteen before considering this procedure and for boys many surgeons advise they wait even longer before they consider this procedure.
Topics to discuss with your doctor
If you are considering having a nose job, be sure to:
· Discuss your expectations with your surgeon.
· Tell your surgeon, what bothers you about your nose.
· Tell your surgeon, how you would like to change it.
· If you have a medical condition, ask your surgeon if rhinoplasty can help improve it.
· Talk with your surgeon and ask about what rhinoplasty can achieve for you.