Easy Spring Home Maintenance
"Learn How You Can Make Simple Changes This Spring to Spice up the Outside of Your Home”
“Did You Know…?
Spring is in the air and before you realize it the flower buds will begin to bloom, the air will have the aroma of fresh lilac and the sun will be beating down upon us creating energies that motivate up to begin new projects around the home.
How can I spice up the outside of my home?
As soon as I feel the warmth from the sun and I hear the birds sing from my deck I immediately feel a sense of creativity inside me just waiting to burst. This is when I grab my tools, a bottle of water and head outside trying to figure out what I can do to spice up the outside appearance of my home.
Beautiful Flowers Brighten Up the Home and the People Living In It
The first thing I like to do is grab the flowerpots that I stored in the garage over the winter and clean them up using a little water from the hose in the backyard. Once they are clean, I begin by going to the store to purchase fresh soil. I always make sure I purchase moisture control soil for my plants so the flowers do not dry out to quickly from the sun; it also helps the flowers bloom better.
Next, I buy my favorite flower seeds, a few small plants (there is no need to spend a lot of money on big plants because if you care for it properly it will grow to be huge in size before you know it) and I purchase vegetable seeds for my garden.
Once I get everything I need I grab my garden tools and get down to the nitty-gritty. I place the flowers by my doorsteps and on the deck where they are visible for others to see. The bright flowers liven up the home and create a sense of happiness to home too.
Creating a Vegetable Garden
I always create a small vegetable garden each spring it is easy, affordable and you save a bundle in fruit and vegetable costs. Here are some helpful tips to begin your garden:
- It is best to have your vegetable garden as close to the house as possible: this makes it easy for you to cut out and gather some vegetables or herbs for cooking
- Choose a sunny spot: most vegetables needs full sun
- Pick an area where the ground is level
- Most people will have soil, or can create beds that have topsoil of at least 1 foot deep. It is easy to do and it will not take long.
- Use an area in your backyard that has plenty of space available
Remember in these hard times not everyone can afford the cost of a renovation, but you can never go wrong when you create simple and easy changes for the outside of your home. Investing in the upkeep of your home not only improves its appearance, but the overall appearance of your neighborhood.
Here are some other ideas to consider in order to spice up the outside of your home:
- Power washing the siding or brick can dramatically improves the appearance of your home
- Painting the fence
- Mulching the trees in your yard can add curbside appeal
- Painting or staining your door is a simple inexpensive improvement that can draw attention to your entrance without the costly expense of replacement
- Shutters are also a low cost item, pre-painted, easy to install and can change the appearance and style of a plain looking home and spice up its charm
- If your entrance walkway is in disrepair you can install brick pavers for a warm but elegant appearance
Take a walk around your home and envision what it would look like if you made a couple of changes. Put together a list in the order you feel a renovation or change is necessary. These projects can be a lot of fun for you and your whole family. It will be family time together, well spent and your home will look outstanding at a reasonable cost you can afford.