Richard Lee Orey, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Books by Richard Lee Orey
Insider information that may save you or your loved ones from brutal violence
We all know there are violent predators in this world, the rapist being one of the most active.
On my Home Page of AuthorsDen, I state that I oftentimes write to offer others “Knowledge of what these cancerous agents of society do and how they do it…to protect ourselves and our loved ones.”
This is an article I would rather not post. I publish this article with the hope that the information listed may help you and/or your loved ones protect yourselves.
Through the Eyes of a Rapist
Recently, rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim. Here are some important revelations:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They look for a woman on her cell phone, searching through her purse or doing other activities while walking because she is off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack and rape in the early morning between 5:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
5) The Number One place women are abducted from or attacked is grocery store parking lots.
Number Two: office parking lots/garages.
Number Three: public restrooms.
6) These men are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 years sentence but rape using a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming and, also, increases their likelihood of being caught.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas or other similar objects that can be used from a distance in their hands. Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. The idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms mentioned are these: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question or make small talk. “What time is it?” or “I can’t believe it’s so cold” or “Think we’re in for a bad winter?” Now, that you’ve seen their face and heard their voice and are more likely able to identify them in a line-up and could more certainly identify them, you lose your
appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold your hands in front of you and yell “STOP!” or “STAY BACK!” Most rapists interviewed said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed she would fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target!
12) If you carry pepper spray, yelling “I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY” and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can outsmart them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY, VERY HARD.
(One woman in a self-defense class said she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands. The guy needed stitches.) Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it. It hurts!
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. It’s extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but these rapists said what they want is a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble.
So, start causing trouble!
15) When a guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. It’s very painful!
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings. Take someone with you, if you can. And if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it. Go with your instincts!!! You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
The elbow is the strongest point on your body.
If you are close enough, use it!
If a robber asks for your wallet or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM.
Toss it away from you. He’s more interested in your wallet or purse than you. Chances are that he will go to retrieve it.
THEN RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back taillights and stick your arm out the hole and wave like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This trick has saved lives.
Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook or making a list, etc.) DON’T DO THIS!
The predator will be watching you. This is his perfect opportunity to get in on the passenger’s side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat, they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
TIPS ABOUT GETTING INTO YOUR CAR IN A PARKING LOT OR PARKING GARAGE:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger’s side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger’s door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle and the passenger’s side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall or work and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
MORE SAFETY TIPS:
ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
As women, you tend to always be sympathetic. It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane or a limp and often asked for help getting into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
KNOW THIS SAFETY POINT: A crying baby on your porch? Call the police! The police will tell you ”Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” Serial killers have been known to use a recorded baby’s cry to coax a woman out of her home when she thinks someone dropped off a baby.
DO NOT open the door for a crying baby. The “Crying Baby” hoax was mentioned on the TV show America's Most Wanted when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana.
Forward this article on to all the women you know. It may save a life. Or click “Share” at the top of this page and type in a loved one’s URL address.
IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN ASSAULTED, RAPED OR DEAD.
Reader Reviews for
"Through the Eyes of a Rapist"
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!
|Reviewed by Richard Orey
|A NOTE TO (Readers) REVIEWERs SHALISE BARNES AND DEVVE MAE:
Thank you for taking the time to post a thoughtful review comment. I do want to call to your attention that this is not a copyrighted article written and posted by me. This article has been circulated in major publications for well over ten years. Authorden's statistics show that this AD published item on this page has been reviewed by well over one million AD authors/readers. To this point, your review stands out from among the million plus readers as the only review that takes issue with the value of posting this article.
I think what's of more value than the particular value of any one safety tip is the value that it makes you aware of what law enforcement officials and rape victims report as information every woman should know. Based on that premise, I decided it was worth posting. A million AD readers apparently agree.
I also value your right of free speech, so thank you for exercising your right. Perhaps you might express your concerns to the National District Attorneys Association, one of the sponsors of this article.
|Reviewed by Shalise Barnes (Reader)
|These are more or less false. I find it extremely concerning that the author has chosen to prey upon women's fears in this way. What rapists were interviewed? How many crying babies have been found on porches? This entire article has actually been debunked on numerous chain mail hoax websites and it is unacceptable to still be listed here as a genuine article.|
|Reviewed by Ris Thei (Reader)
|If you don't have pepper spray, perfume will work. It doesn't work as well or last as long, but it is better than nothing. Plus, the attacker might not like the smell. You can threaten them with the bottle of perfume, saying that you have pepper spray. They will likely be deterred.|
|Reviewed by m j hollingshead
|Reviewed by - - - - - TRASK
|Take Your Children As YOU Yourself To
KARATE SCHOOL-You Not Only How
It Teaches You Discipline...
Abused Childhood My Like 2nd
Daddy (Welter Weight 170 Lb Boxer)
Not Only Taught Me How
To Fight--But:You Go In To Win...
Protect Yourself At All Cost'
Suffer Consequences Later...
Etal: Your Car Air Bag' Will Not
Save You--Its A Bullshit Scam...
...Only You Alone Can Save Yourself!
|Reviewed by Tami Ryan
|As a nationally certified sexual assault counselor who has worked with many victims of sexual abuse, I applaud you. Thank you, Richard. Thank you.
|Reviewed by J'nia Fowler
|Good information to hold on to. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs, J'nia|
|Reviewed by William DeVault
|Some good information, as it was when it was posted as an extract of self-defense for women guru Pat Malone nearly a decade ago...check out the Snopes entry for a point-by-point analysis (the Crying Baby ruse has never been used by a serial killer, for instance, and the elbow move is considered ). Also note that 85% of all rapes occur when the victim or attacker(s) are under the influence of alcohol. If a woman takes care not to drink in an unfamiliar, unsecured environment, and to not hang out with guys who are getting drunk, she greatly enhances her odds.|
|Reviewed by John DeDakis
|EXCELLENT piece, Richard. Thank you. I'm putting it on my Facebook and Twitter pages and sending it to friends. Well done! JD|
|Reviewed by Lynda Nilus (Reader)
|I would suggest for everyone to get a trusted friend to practice the 'under arm pinching' so as to get in the habit. That way, you won't be caught in a panic when something truly did happen (knock wood) cause your body would have the reflex to go for gold.
I'd also suggest getting in the habit of locking the doors of your vehicle either you're in it or not. You know what they say, better be safe than sorry!
|Reviewed by Jacky Lai
Thank you for the most informative and enlightening article. I am going to post it on my facebook page and tell all my friends about the tips.
|Reviewed by Regis Auffray
|Thank you for sharing this important informative article, Richard. Love and peace,
|Reviewed by Richard Arrington
|Richard, I was in State Law Enforcement for twenty years. What you write is Extremely important and informative. People need to understand, criminals choose what is easy. If criminals liked things difficult, they would work. If you appear to be difficult, a criminal will pass you by. Example: A purse snatcher will not choose a women with a purse over her neck and shoulder. They choose the women holding the purse in her hand. I think your advise is, Don't be an easy target.|
|Reviewed by Carole Mathys
|A most informative article, Richard...I am aware of most of these having worked at a Sheriff Dept for 36 years, but some are new to me and I am going to pass these on to my friends and family.
Thank you, Carole~
|Reviewed by Jeanette Cooper
|An excellent article with some great advice and suggestions. Thanks for sharing it. I'll refer it to family and friends.|
|Reviewed by Jerry Engler
|Extremely important, great advice, Richard. I'm going to send it on to family members. I sometimes blunder in the big cities because in the culture here, you say hi or good morning to small-town people you meet walking if you are the only ones there. I'm afraid I frightened a few women I didn't need to by automatically speaking up when they weren't accustomed to it. I also once was asked by a woman I didn't know to escort her to her car because she was frightened by another person. I flatter myself by thinking I must have looked more respectable to her..........Jerry|