NOTE: The original posting - PROPANE WARNING -
is under my STORIES category.
HOW 'SAFE' IS IT - REALLY?
PROPANE WARNING FOLLOW-UP -
February 13, 2009 -
Thank God your are alive to tell this disturbing story. I wonder how many people died of this same thing, thinking by family that it was just old age or an accident and there is no one to blame. Your letter and this story may save lives. I hope so. Hugs in a chilly climate, J'nia
J'NIA - thank you Dear!
Yes, I was fortunate - or Blessed - or protected by a Guardian Angel even?
I was originally really ANGRY with the supplier - then, the more I thought about it, I was even ANGRIER with our Government, for Not Protecting the Public.
If this article and letter manages to save only one person's life, then I thank God - AGAIN!
And yes, you are correct - many times, after a death occurs, people blame it on that SORRY OLD DUMB GEEZER - when he or she did NOTHING WRONG!
Just being ill-informed, or ignorant of the LACK of SAFEGUARDS and WARNINGS that SHOULD BE LEGALLY IMPOSED upon Manufacturers, Suppliers, Salespeople, and Rental Agents.
This current FIASCO about ONE GREEDY person and corporation COVERTLY SELLING SALMONELLA-INFECTED PEANUT BUTTER, TO KILL INNOCENT VICTIMS - IS HORRENDOUS! ESPECIALLY - to LITTLE CHILDREN and SENIOR CITIZENS -
THERE IS NO ROPE LONG ENOUGH TO HANG THESE CULPRITS FROM!
LIKE THE GREEDY CEO'S ON WALL STREET AND IN BANKING, AND MORTGAGE FINANCING -
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE OUR GOVERNMENT TO 'SWEEP IT ALL UNDER THE RUG?'
Peace - Justice - Safety ... Tom.
2/13/2009 Jnia Fowler
Glad you went electric. We have as well given the sly little or large in fact add-ons our gas company charges those with a gas furnace. We have a good furnace but we refuse to use it and be ripped off every month by the gas people. Hugs from the chilly north. j'nia
J'NIA - thanks for comments.
Down here, most trailer parks do NOT have access to natural gas, most are either Oil or Propane heat - cost of replacing a furnace to oil is quite prohibitive, maybe 2-3-4 thousand dollars.
Bottom line is the Suppliers (here BGE) have a MONOPOLY - and the local, state, and Federal governments ALL CONDONE IT!
I often wonder how many shares of "FREE" stock the officials all own?
Peace - Tom.
2/13/2009 Flying Fox Ted Glines MSW
Excellent article/story, Tom. Over many years of living in trailers, I have come to the conclusion that propane and their regulators were designed for recreational use (i.e., in nice weather) and are hazardous for use in below-freezing environments. I feel strongly enough about this to have gone all-electric in my own trailor. The ocasional power-outtage is preferable to DEATH by propane fumes or explosions.
Glad you got out of there and survived.
TED - thanks for comments - really appreciated.
I just made that same decision - my range-top will now become additional countertop, and the oven will be a storage bin for pots and pans - have both a toaster oven and micro-wave, will now pick up a little hotplate.
Right now, functioning on two new Ceramic heaters (both in box for only $40) - am surprised how well their thermostats function, cycling on and off automatically - I periodically check the old wall STAT for comfort level and adjust accordingly.
Next week will receive my little "log-burning" electric heater from internet order - although I HATE MR. BGE - SAFETY is paramount now.
Peace, my Friend. Tom.
Karen Lynn Vidra, The Texas Tornado
WOW! Glad you made it through; sorry you had to go through this, Tom! Powerful writing!
(((HUGS))) and much love, your friend in Tx., Karen Lynn. :(
What a horrific tale, my friend. Very glad to hear you made it through. And that corporate response doesn't surprise me one bit today, although I am a little surprised that you actually got to talk to a real person.
PS It was 60 Degrees here yesterday; warmer weather is happily headin’ your way. I knew old Groundhog Phil was wrong.