Fun Facts From Afar (Something To Share With Your Children)
edited: Monday, April 05, 2004
By Victoria Taylor Murray
Rated "PG" by the Author.
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004
Become a Fan
An article you can share with your children--Facts About Different Countries Your Kids Might Enjoy.
FUN FACTS FROM AFAR
1) INDIA-- India is located in South Asia. The capital is New Delhi. India has numerous mountain ranges including the Himalayas, Eastern and Western Ghats. Located north of the sacred Ganges River is the Taj Mahal, a world famous landmark of India. The tiger, which is an endangered animal, is native to India.
2) UNITED KINGDOM-- The United Kingdom is comprised of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The English Channel, the North Sea, the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean surround the United Kingdom. Located in the southeast is London, the capital. London has many famous landmarks including the famous clock tower, Big Ben, and the Tower Bridge, built over the Thames River. Scotland has many beautiful castles including Inverary.
3) Egypt-- Egypt is located in the northeastern corner of Africa. Israel, Libya and Sudan border it. The Red Sea borders Egypt on the East near the Sinai Peninsula. The capital is Cairo. Famous landmarks in Egypt include the Nile River, which runs through Egypt, the pyramids, the Sphinx and the tomb of King Tut. Camels are used for travel in Egypt.
4) Italy-- Italy is located in South Central Europe. It occupies a peninsula that juts deep into the Mediterranean Sea. Italy is famous for its many beautiful cities such as Rome (the capital), Vatican City, Florence, Pisa, Milan and Venice with its gondolas.
5) AUSTRALIA-- Australia is the smallest continent and one of the largest countries in the world. It lies between the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Canberra is the capital of Australia located between Sydney and Melbourne. Kangaroos and koala bears are found in Australia. People travel from all over the world to scuba dive near the Great Barrier Reef that lies between the Coral Sea and the northwest part of Australia.
6) CHINA-- China is the largest of all Asain countries and has the largest population of any country in the world. Beijing is the capital and home of Forbidden City. Other famous landmarks include the Tibetan Monastery, the Great Wall and Mt. Everest, the tallest mountain in the world. Panda bears are native to China.
7) RUSSIAN FEDERATION-- Russia stretches over Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. It is the world's largest country. Bears are native to this land. Russia produces one-fifth of the world's softwood, which makes logging an improtant industry.
8) THAILAND-- Thailand is located in Southeast Asia. Bangkok is the capital and largest city in Thailand. Thailand gets lots of rain during the monsoon season. The Chao Phraya is a main river in Thailand where many people live in houses built on stilts. The central plains are covered with rice paddies. Rice is a staple part of the Thai diet. Silk, spun by worms, is a main export. Thai people use animals to help with their work. Elephants haul lumber out of the mountain forests in the north and monkeys help harvest coconuts in the south.
9) BRAZIL-- Brazil is located in South America and is the fifth largest country in the world. Brasilia is the capital but Rio de Janeiro, located on the Atlantic Ocean, used to be the capital. Bananas and coffee are grown in Brazil and toucans, big-beaked birds, are native to Brazil.
10) GREECE-- Greece is located in Southern Europe. Numerous islands and the Aegean Sea surround it to the east, the Ionian Sea to the west and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. Athens is the capital and the home of the Parthenon.
11) FRANCE-- France is located in Europe. Paris, the capital, lies along the Seine River. Paris has many famous landmarks including the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe. France is famous for its wine. Grapes to make wine are grown near Bordeaux.
12) SPAIN-- Spain is located in Southwest Europe. Madrid is the capital, where you can find Segovia Castle. Another famous landmark is Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Spain is famous for its bullfighting and flamenco dancing.