ROY A. CRABTREE
Systems Administrator with three decades experience in various hardware, software, analytical and support skills. Experience providing technical project management and support services for networked computer systems, LAN’s, WAN telephone PBX and voicemail systems. Technical skills and expertise include network design, installation, administration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and product software rollouts.
Exposure to Linux across a decade’s time, including Walnut Creek & RedHat versions 5,6/7/9, Fedora II & IV; latest usages being NCA&T Sep 05 and UNC ATN Feb 02.(see below).
Specific experience in systems administration (Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, Dec Tru64, Linux, IBM/Novell/MS Windows), network administration (HP OpenView, Sun NetView, TCP/IP from DARPAnet through to today, Ethernet 1-1000baseT, fiber & FDDI, tokenring, Hyperchannel, RJE and various alternatives), web administration (ancillary or team member on Apache 1, 1.3.1, 1.3.6; Netscape ES to iPlanet 1.0; IIS in limited MS Windows server and extensive PWS on MS Windows workstations) in various modes (development, web server, educational, research); security administration through three decades of technology changes, including virus packages (all the common ones), firewalls (Guardian/BSD, various workstation tools, etc.), user/login/access/password administration (small and large, modem & LAN, UNIX and MS Windows user and resource access); file, storage, and peripheral access; DB security/access configuration, and OS/vertical/horizontal services software/hardware/access installation, configuration, tuning, and operations, including Kerberos, flexlm, ssh, TCP/IP & DNS listener & port security, monitoring and auditing, log analysis, tracing, sandboxing, TCB, hard and soft physical keys, and related tools and alternatives.
AT&T SU, Charlotte, NC (Oct 05 – Dec 05)
UNIX Solaris Systems Administrator
Sun Systems Administration , installation, configuration, patching, tuning; Windows (XP/2K) software loading, training.
· IBM Sun Netra HW (t 1125, V440, V880), A5200 RAID, FDDI fiber network & switches, associated peripherals, and MS Windows ancillary equipment (laptops & workstations).
· Solaris 8 & 10 OS, plus coordinated patches required for ethical and horizontal tools, and associated RAID & fiber hardware, plus firmware patches as required.
· Websphere, BEA Weblogic, Netbackup, ssh, MF COBOL, associated tools.
· Training, telephone consultation, paperwork and vendor agreement coordination, ancillary administrative aspects.
NC A&T SU, Greensboro, NC (Jul 05 – Sep 05)
HPC Systems Administrator
HPC (High Performance Computer) Systems Administrator: IBM 1350 Blade Center, SGI Origin 3000/3900, Sun 110-880, Dell/IBM Workstations running Solaris, MS Windows, Irix, Altix, Red Hat Linux. System upgrades, package installation, mentoring, full systems administration under limited resources
· IBM 1350 Blade Center running RedHat Linux and about 40 various engineering packages.
· SGI Origin 3000/3900 running Altix & Irix 6.5 with the same packages.
· Various Sun servers (110-880) and workstations (e.g. Ultra 5 & later) running Solaris 7-10
· Various other hardware from IBM, SGI, Sun, others running Irix, AIX, WINDOWS, and other OSes.
· Various workstations (Dell, IBM NetVista, etc.) running MS Windows & RedHat Linux.
· IBM 1350 Blade Center running RedHat Linux and about 40 various engineering packages.
· Installed, tuned, patched, configured, ran all normal systems administrative functions on these systems (with aid on Solaris side).
· Advised students and faculty on parallel systems configuration, MPI and gridding setups, compilation and data format issues, tools, and other technical issues.
· Advised on technical staffing levels, procedures to increase resource utilization.
UNC Biostatistics, Chapel Hill, NC (Apr 02 – Aug 02)
System Administrator- Data error analysis/reductions
Teen Media Project for UNC Schools of Journalism & Communications. Installation, configuration, patching, tuning of MS Windows (98, NT) in Novell server environment, installing/tuning AT&T U/WIN 3.x tools package, SAS 7.x packages (extensive IO tuning), and Blaise 4.x automated survey query/DB/extraction tools.
· 3500+ surveys of 760+ questions for data entry, error analysis, rectification, and resolution.
· Data entry was team based.
· Data error analysis and resolution was solo. Rough error rates of some 1.25% raw and 0.2% rectified were achieved against 2.1 million entries.
· Wrote, debugged, ran data extraction, filtering, analysis and purification tools and scripts.
· Since this was the first large data entry project for UNC Biostatistics and the first large project survey for Journalism/ Communications, the surveys were not digitally scanned, the data was not correctly key check digit indexed, and labor estimates were off by 1-2 orders of magnitude (I was not involved with the origin, only the close, of the project). Nonetheless, data rectification was done within 8 weeks
KOZ, inc., RTP/Durham, NC
(May 00 – Jul 00)
Worked at KOZ on their web environment Project as a System/sendmail Administrator and technical consultant. Installation and tuning of MS Windows/NT workstations, Sun Solaris workstation, Sendmail 8.8.7/8.9.2, ad hoc problem resolution.
· Configured Sendmail 8.8.7/8.9.2 to relieve slow Email performance and overload/failures on mass mail send/receive in their web community environment.
· Converted Sendmail 8.8.7 to 8.9.2.
· Consulted Informix SQL scripting changes to optimize performances against new indexing and other constraints.
· Installed/configured/patched Solaris to 2.7 on workstations using patchdiag automated scripting tool and scripts for patch analysis and installation.
UNC – ATN/A&S (Aug 99 – Feb 00)
Worked with UNC Advanced Technologies & Networks and Arts&Sciences a Systems Administrator & Ombudsman. Maintenance of hardware, administration of Solaris (2.5.1, 2.6.1, 2.7, 7, 8), AIX (4.1.3-4.3.2, DEC Tru64 (v4.1-5.0a), RADIUS/4000 server, Apache 1.3.6 & browser configuration, MS server and workstation, LINUX 6/7 W/S.
· Administration and hardware maintenance including performance tuning, scaling and capacity planning of servers & workstations (Sun E3000HPC, AIX RS6000, DEC 8200/GS60e) with DEC firmware upgrades and Sun Openboot upgrades.
· Planning, designing and configuration new Sun Servers.
· Configured network system protocols (TCP/IP, SNMP, PPP, NFS, RPC etc.).
· Configured Solaris Jumpstart, Autoclient & TotalNet, AIX NIM.
· File system management using DEC AdvFS, AIX LVM, Solaris SDS.
· Configured PPP/VPN on RADIUS based Annex 4000. Eliminated packet performance problem via filtering and FTPO slowness via MTU tuning.
· Configured ISDN modems for networking.
· Installed, patched, tuned packages on UNIX and MS workstations and servers.
· Reconfigured Apache 1.3.6 configurations for redirects as interim webmaster (pending the full hire) and resolved web browser performance issues on broadband and modem interfaces (high expertise required: examples include: hangs of PDF downloads due to Acrobat document generation options errors, text browser interface problems, etc.)
· Implemented security in Solaris, DEC Tru64, and AIX/NIM loads, using NFS, AFS, Samba, Novell, and TotalNet interfacing, plus printer access across MS and UNIX domains.
· Installed & configured of various backup software (DEC, Sun, AIX, ADSM, MS Windows) to SamFS based StorageTek silo under AFS (Andrew File System).
· Wrote shell scripts in b/c/k shell for different applications.
· Did Kernel cfg tuning for performance.
· Preconfigured iChat for proper performance across security boundaries for port access to the student community population.
Ericsson Cellular, RTP, NC (May 99 – Jul 99)
· Responsible for Unix administration on Sun Solaris 2.1-2.7 servers and workstations.
· Created and managed new user accounts; tuned kernel parameters for performance; wrote shell scripts to automate daily jobs. Installed, configured, patched, tuned, and ran daily and weekly backup on Veritas Netbackup to & from HP/UX servers, Oracle 8.0.x databases (including RMON utility), Auspex NAS servers using NFS mounts, and MS Windows workstations and servers. Wrote analysis scripts to spot failures and report consistently.
· Configured printers on network and resolved printer problems; wrote automated patch analysis tools for Sun (using patchdiag) and HP/UX; installed OS, patches, custom cards, peripherals, drivers, online diagnostics, monitoring tools, and system upgrades.
· Installed Veritas on Sun Servers and performed configuration and Volume Management using both symmetrical and asymmetrical disk configurations.
· Performance monitored server/ WS systems, optimized them using symon, sar, iostat, vmstat, netstat, and other tools.
· Configured NFS on Solaris, HP server systems and provided required access to clients; similar for NT shares on MS Windows clients.
· Implemented FSs, administered disk quotas.
· Configured flexlm license servers under various versions (incompatible and multiple instances required).
· Used Remedy issues system to track user requests and resolve ad hoc daily problems.
· Configured fonts for resolution against Postscript printers on X workstations using Acrobat Reader (three conflicting font sets).
· Resolved DNS resolution problems to remote sites in Sweden and US.
McClatchie/Nando Media in Raleigh, NC (Dec 98 – Apr 99)
(Systems/DB Administrator/Systems Analyst)
Worked as a systems/database admin in an online web newspaper/multimedia environment using Sun Solaris servers and workstations under Sybase 11.0/ 11.5/ 11.9.2 against JAVA JDB 1.1A/B to 1.2 in a multiprocessor LWT web accelerator environment.
· Did administration and maintenance including performance tuning, scaling and capacity planning of Sun Solaris Servers & Workstations (Ultra 2, Ultra 5, E250 and E450)
· Created and managed new user accounts for both UNIX login and database access for operational and developmental team.
Modified kernel parameters for performance tuning.
· Installed, configured, patched, and ran backups for daily and weekly backup using both Sun/legato Networker and Veritas Netbackup for both UNIX system, application specific, and database backups against Sybase 4.9.x, 11.0.x, 11.5.x, 11.9.2; using Sun Silo SCSI tapes.
· Installed, wrote and ran shell scripts for automating daily routine jobs
· Installed, tuned, patched and ran DBArtisan on MS Windows workstations for Sybase developmental and operational DB extractions and fixes.
· Installed OS (Solaris 2.6.1, 2.7, 7) & DB (Sybase 11.5, 11.5.1, 11.9.2), patches, online diagnostics and system upgrades.
· Resolved patch/version incompatibilities between development (Sybase 11.0/Solaris 2.5/JAVA 1.1B) and operational (Sybase 11.5/11.9.2, Solaris 2.7, JAVA JDK 1.2) environments, removing operational performance, lockup, and DB consistency and reliability problems.
· Resolved performance issue involving triple mirror of front end web accelerator generating 500 regens per minute during prime time (rather than one) per updated web page; load times were 5-10 minutes to see the newspaper headline banner because of that.
Performed hardware and software upgrades in Solaris environment, including Volume administration, expansion, adding of disks etc, through Sun SDS.
· Setup DHCP/bootp/DNS services on Solaris servers/clients and configured them.
· Configured NFS on Solaris system to provide required access to clients.
· Planned, created, ran FSs, disk quotas.
· Solved hardware and software problems, with maintenance of hardware and software inventory; including MS Windows browser, graphics performance, & reliability problems.
OSI/RUS in Culpeper, VA (Dec 97 – Apr 98)
(Systems/Network/DB Administrator/Systems Analyst)
Worked as a systems/network/database administrator in a multicampus shop of 50+ sites comprising 175 servers, 150 workstations, and 1500 X stations, on HP 9000/4xx/7xx/8xx running HP/UX 9/10.x/11. I reorganized servers and office networks during main office move to new building. I monitored Informix DB backups, Guardian firewall configuration and tuning, performed new system installation, updated & patched OS, assisted SAP conversion team
· Did administration and maintenance including HP/UX 10.x/11.x OS installation and patching, remote boot installer configuration and routing, performance tuning, scaling and capacity planning.
· Created and managed new user accounts for both UNIX login and database access for operational and developmental teams.
· Performed Informix DB reorganizations and monitored backups.
· Performed Guardian firewall configuration and tuning, assisted SAP conversion team.
RSS, in VA, NJ, KY, IL, TN, NY admin/analyst (Jun 81 -now)
Systems Analyst/ Consultant/ Admin
· Consulted at various client sites on various heterogeneous UNIX systems using Microsoft, IBM, and other tools.
· Installed, configured, tuned, patched, converted various versions of UNIX (Sun, BSD, Linux, HP/UX, AIX, others) and MS (most versions);
· Installed, configured, tuned, patched, converted various versions of most major horizontal and vertical tools;
· Provided operational training and trouble resolution in both developmental and operational modes of usage for these tools, in both homogenous and heterogeneous environments.
· A partial listing of major contracts and assignments is below for further details:
RSS, ad hoc clients, Piedmont/RDU/RTP, NC (Dec 97 – now)
IS/IT Consultant – Telecommute, WS cfg, training
Various clients, ad hoc assignments.
Assembly, installation, configuration, patching, tuning of MS Windows (98/XP/2K), training, telephone consulting. Some examples include:
· MS Windows W/S (XP, 98, 2K) installation, tuning, package loading.
· W/S, peripheral purchase recommendations, installation, configuration, telecomm setup, training.
· Training and mentoring in package usage.
· Dictaphone system/handset interfacing (via telecommute: touch tone DTMF) for Windows based medical data entry system.
· Three decades experience and expertise in UNIX heterogeneous systems administration; www.brainbench.com transcript 5301701; www.proveit.com Solaris Administration.
UNC-Chapel Hill; BS/Math Sciences, ORSA, 1976;Yourdon, inc. Structured Analysis, Design, Coding, Testing
Bell Laboratories & Western Electric Corporate Education Center, Kelly Seminars: UNIX Administration
PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE SUMMARY: