When will our politicians and governments in general ever start to protect the consumer from AVARICE-RIDDEN AUTO DEALERSHIPS?
Bob Bell Nissan
- A True Story -
© - Tom Hyland - 08-24-09
This dealership has been at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Rolling Mill Road in Baltimore, Maryland for many years. In fact, years ago, I personally bought a Stanza there, and years later, my wife bought an Altima there - but I would Never Ever buy another thing from them again! Why? See what you think.
1. My Friend Patricia purchased a 2005 Altima there new, and it has been a dependable car, requiring very little service. That is the Good News!
Her car is still under Warranty until March 30, 2011 - and yet, none of the following expenses were covered!
2. On the evening of July 1st, 2009 when Pat tried to leave work, way down at Fort Meade, Maryland, around 3:30 pm, the car would not start. Fellow workers tried to help, to no avail, so she had to call a Towing Service, which came up from Laurel, Maryland. As soon as the truck arrived, the serviceman hooked up his blue box charger and VA-ROOM! She kicked right over.
When Pat asked if it was safe to drive all the way home to Dundalk, Maryland, a good 15-20 miles, he couldn’t say. So, rather than taking a chance, she asked him to tow it back to the dealer’s in Baltimore.
3. When they arrived, it was about 6:00 pm, and as she did not have a cell phone, she called me from the dealer’s phone. When I arrived to pick her up and take her home, it was about 6:30 pm, and the only person on duty in the Service area, was an elderly gentleman, I suspect a part-time security person? Anyway, he could tell us nothing.
According to their POSTED SIGNS the Service Department was supposed to be open at 7:00 am.
4. After reaching her home, and asking questions about the car, I guessed that she probably needed a Battery, and told her to call Service as soon as they opened, and to tell them to just put in a New Battery, as she had to get to work again the next day.
5. On the following morning, July 2nd, she did so, but they were not open at 7:00, or no human would answer the phone, so she left that specific message on the voicemail system. About an hour or more later, a female service representative did call her, but said - “We have to check it out! There may be something else wrong.”
6. Pat waited and waited for hours - when she finally received the call that her car was ready, she was told the TOTAL BILL WAS $352.43 - she was flabbergasted, but had to have her car. She had to call her daughter, who had to drive from Joppatowne, Maryland to get her. When they got there, and she paid the bill - Copies of which I have - two pages of semi-cryptic codes, with very little DETAIL as to exactly WHAT they had done.
7. After arriving back home, she called me on my cell phone, as I was working. When she told me the total I was really PISSED.
On that same day, Thursday, July 2nd, at 4:15 pm I reached the dealership and asked to speak to the Service Manager, a man named GARY. After waiting a few minutes, I was escorted to his office, and registered my complaint on Miss Brown’s behalf -
it was basically -
“What the Hell kind of Rip-Off operation are you guys running here? Taking advantage of a woman who knows nothing about mechanical things is despicable! Over $300 for a Battery?”
As his office door was wide open, at least 6-8 or more of his employees heard my big mouth! He naturally needed time to look into the matter, and I handed him my business card, after writing my cell number on it - telling him I had to return to work. He assured me he would do so, after first stating equivocally that a WOMAN handled Miss Brown’s car!
8. On Friday July 3rd, she brought the bill to me, and I copied it, and tried to analyze what it said, to wit: After examining the car, determined that a 84 Month Battery was $100.69. ‘Customer request to replace Air Filter’ (they told her it was needed) $24.16.
Total Parts =124.85.
* she was also told she needed some other stuff?
fuel injector service and belts also * she refused!
Labor ? = $ 187.03 for What? No Breakdown! Reprogramming Keys?
Misc. Charges ? = 31.19
Sales Tax = 9.36
PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT = $352.43 --
SEVEN WEEKS HAVE NOW PASSED AND SERVICE MANAGER NEVER HAD THE COMMON COURTESY TO CALL HER BACK -
NOR DID HE EVER CALL ME!
- SUMMARY -
WOULD YOU EVER GO THERE FOR SERVICE AGAIN?
WOULD YOU EVER BUY A CAR THERE AGAIN?
WILL NISSAN’S NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS DO ANYTHING
TO PROMOTE JUSTICE HERE?
WILL THE BALTIMORE SUNPAPERS
THE DUNDALK EAGLE
HAVE THE COURAGE TO PRINT THIS TRUE STORY
IN ORDER TO WARN OTHER POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS?
WILL EACH CORPORATION
ACT IN ITS OWN INTEREST
TO PROTECT OTHER CORPORATIONS?
WHAT A COUNTRY!
© - TKH
P.S. - AS I PROMISED THAT SERVICE MANAGER -
HER STORY WOULD BE TOLD!