Gail L. Jenner
Blogs by Gail L. Jenner
Writing Hints...Important Things to Remember
8/6/2008 9:48:12 PM
When writing to sell, there are a number of things to consider. Here's a short list of ideas to remember:
Important CONSIDERATIONS when WRITING TO SELL:
1. Clarify your goals for writing and for writing THIS particular book or story.
2. Start with what is UNIQUE about your story/approach/characters, etc.
3. If nonfiction, work on the QUERY and Chapters first, even if not in final form. In FICTION, write the manuscript, BUT know what GENRE you are pursuing.
4. Think about publishers: who would be likely ones to query?
5. Work on a GREAT Title and a GREAT logline or single line by which you can hook readers and/or agents and publishers. Say it in 25 words or LESS if you can.
6. REWRITE, REWRITE, REWRITE: if FICTION, look for the over-riding metaphor, and look for the subtext and foreshadowing; eliminate, tighten, especially looking to cut adverbs and adjectives and passive voice. REWRITE.
7. Build the synopsis and/or proposals.
8. Make a list of possible agents and publishers and begin pursuing them, but realize that sometimes agents are harder to land than publishers.
9. Begin to build your platform: build a website; blog; subscribe to writers’ ezines and newsletters; attend conferences; enter contests. Look for writing opportunities on a local level.
10. Even as you finish one project, begin another, and keep submitting. Do pay attention to agent/editor responses and continue to tighten and REWRITE. But KEEP Submitting.
Finally, just KEEP WRITING. Write because you have to. Write because you have something to say. Write because you CAN make a difference in the world. Write because you love it.
But just keep writing.
More Blogs by Gail L. Jenner
Writing Hints...Important Things to Remember - Wednesday, August 06, 2008
As Summer Begins, it's time to focus on life... - Sunday, June 08, 2008
One Farmer's Look at Life....How Simple, How True! - Saturday, May 03, 2008
Watch out for us Ranch Women.....we're not Afraid!!! - Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Some interesting facts about GUN CONTROL......stirring the pot...... - Monday, April 14, 2008
March 24, 1898 - - Monday, March 24, 2008
Starting right here, right now! - Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Five Things to Consider..... - Thursday, February 21, 2008
The origin of Valentine's Day.... - Thursday, February 14, 2008
Great Truths about Life from Children! - Monday, February 11, 2008
Dreams are the stuff of LIFE........ - Tuesday, February 05, 2008
A Writer's Problem does not change..... - Sunday, February 03, 2008
Just do it!? Yeah, right! - Saturday, February 02, 2008
TIME.....is of the essence - Friday, February 01, 2008
Writing is not life, but..... - Monday, January 28, 2008
Latest book is OUT! - Thursday, January 24, 2008