Blogs by Sara Coslett
Spanish: Masculine v. feminine
2/26/2005 7:33:04 AM
An examination into whether the word computer would be masculine or feminine in Spanish.
Subject: Spanish masculine Vs feminine
A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. 'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.' 'Pencil", however, is masculine: "el lapiz.'
A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?' Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether 'computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons
for its recommendation.
The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computer'), because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
(No chuckling...this gets better!)
The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computer'), because:
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
Post a Comment new!
More Blogs by Sara Coslett
Conservative, vs Liberal This sums it up - Sunday, October 04, 2009
Pelosi: Pants on Fire, You Liar - Monday, August 10, 2009
Time traveling - Friday, August 07, 2009
$50 For the Homeless - Thursday, July 16, 2009
The Bizarre World of Casey Anthony - Friday, August 29, 2008
Reprint of - Symposium: To Rape an Unveiled Woman - Wednesday, March 08, 2006
The Supergirl Code of Ethics - Tuesday, December 13, 2005
How To Gag On The Passion: Mel Gibson's brutal snuff film - Monday, August 15, 2005
Good Information To Know - Wednesday, May 18, 2005
To out-source or not... - Sunday, April 17, 2005
Deceit, Thy Name Is Islam - Sunday, March 13, 2005
Spanish: Masculine v. feminine - Saturday, February 26, 2005
How Boys are Born - Monday, January 17, 2005
The United League of Nations - Sunday, January 09, 2005
Relief Effort - Wednesday, December 29, 2004
Al-Qaeda, Big Brother, and Cyberspace - Sunday, December 26, 2004
How much do you give? - Wednesday, October 20, 2004
Girls Rule - Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Hurricane Charley - Saturday, August 14, 2004
Installing Love - Friday, July 09, 2004