Blogs by Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
What Should you Write About?
7/7/2012 6:19:58 AM
Let’s imagine you’ve been struggling to find a subject for your next story or article. What can you do? There are several guidelines that will help you find the perfect subject.
• Write about what you know: Why is this important? The reason is simple. Write about something you feel passionate about. The emotion you feel will show and make your story shine. For example, if you’re a professional tennis player with a great record, wouldn’t you be comfortable writing about your journey to success? You’d much rather write about that than something you’ve never experienced.
• Don’t be afraid to share your feelings and experiences: Even though you might think your experiences are boring, other people might find them inspirational or exciting. If you present things with your natural passion, you’ll find the best way to present your story.
• Use humor if it’s natural to you: Children love humor, but it has to come across as a natural ability for you. If it seems forced, it wont’ be fun for your readers .
• Make sure you include conflict in your story: Why is this important? Conflict is what moves your story forward. It keeps the plot interesting. Children want to know what happens next if you have enough conflict. Also, remember that the problem or conflict in your story should involve your main character. The “star” of the story needs to learn and grow from his/her experiences in the plot.
• The beginning and the ending: You need a good opening, or “hook” to make your young reader eager to read about what happens next. Did you put action in the beginning? Once you’ve tackled that, remember to tie the beginning and the end together so it all makes sense. I hope these little hints will help you create the perfect children’s tale.
Post a Comment new!
More Blogs by Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
Deb Hockenberry Reviews Tails of Sweetbrier! - Saturday, August 24, 2013
Inteview with Award Winnng Author, Carla Burke - Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Important Hints on Writing an Outstanding Query Letter - Sunday, April 28, 2013
What is theme? Do you Need Ideas? - Monday, March 04, 2013
Looking for the Key to Success? Here it is! - Friday, March 01, 2013
Writing for Children? Will Someone Steal your Work? - Saturday, December 29, 2012
Writing for Children? Adding Conflict - Monday, November 19, 2012
Writing for Children? Be Sure your Character Grows - Monday, October 15, 2012
Another Amazing Olympian, Hiroshi Hoketsu - Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Interesting Happening from the Olympics - Monday, July 30, 2012
Kieran Behan, A Winner Against All Odds - Sunday, July 29, 2012
The Opening Ceremony - Saturday, July 28, 2012
Go USA Olympians! - Friday, July 27, 2012
Who Should Publish Your Story? - Thursday, July 26, 2012
Five Important Truths About Rejection and Your Children’s Book - Wednesday, July 25, 2012
A Look at the Inspiring life of Children's Author, Carla Burke - Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Making your Characters Memorable - Monday, July 23, 2012
Bored with Writing? What to do Next - Sunday, July 22, 2012
We're bored, now what? - Saturday, July 21, 2012
Where do you Find Ideas for Your Children's Stories ? - Friday, July 20, 2012
Beginners Guide to Creating the Pefect Children's Story - Thursday, July 19, 2012
What is conflict and why is it Important to your Story? - Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Have you Ever Heard of Easton, CT? - Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Conquering "Pikes Peak" - Monday, July 16, 2012
Keys to Success in your Children's Story - Sunday, July 15, 2012
Why Setting Goals is Important - Saturday, July 14, 2012
Reaching Beyond Your Goals Through Therapeutic Riding - Friday, July 13, 2012
Top Three Reasons why you Should Persevere - Thursday, July 12, 2012
Random Things About Me - Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Cody Jackson, Pint Sized Patriot - Tuesday, July 10, 2012
A Shout Out to my Readers! - Monday, July 09, 2012
Themes and Morals, What's the Difference? - Sunday, July 08, 2012
What Should you Write About? - Saturday, July 07, 2012
Overcoming Writer's Fright - Friday, July 06, 2012
It's P. T. Barnum's Birthday-Let's celebrate! - Thursday, July 05, 2012
Happy Birthday, USA - Tuesday, July 03, 2012
Consistency-Why is it Important for Your Childrens' Story? - Friday, June 29, 2012
Creating Memorable Characters for your Children’s Stories - Wednesday, June 13, 2012
When your Ending Meets the Beginning of your Children's Stroy - Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Why is Dialogue Important to your Children's Story? - Saturday, January 07, 2012
Do you Remember the First Story you Published? - Saturday, August 27, 2011
How was Tails of Sweetbrier Created? - Saturday, August 27, 2011