Blogs by Edie M. Batstone
My Christmas List
9/26/2011 12:07:50 PM
Christmas is three months away, and in order to fully prepare, I intend to tap into the real Christmas spirit now. True happiness is found in giving. Here's my Christmas list.
My Christmas List!
We went out to see the movie, “I Don’t Know How She Does It” the other night. The theme hit home on a few notes, including the 3a.m. mental lists that women, in particular, find themselves composing – trying to keep up with life’s demands. Most of those demands result from us trying to be the perfect wife, mother, daughter, friend, while still holding on to the ‘Me’ that too often is left out, and crying. The antidote? Gather a basket of ‘Yaayyy!’ by giving; and share that wonderful feeling with as many as possible. With only three months left to go in this year’s marathon, here’s my Christmas list; and I hope that this one works for both women and men:
- Think deeply about all of the people that I care about, and start shopping or creating something small or large that would mean something to them: Take your cue from the children.
- In preparation for the season of love and kindness, resolve to do a kindness for someone every day; and add an act of kindness towards myself once in awhile.
- Put one item in a give-away bag every day (gentle purging!). They could be welcomed by someone as the perfect gift.
- Start a ‘Turkey Fund” jar – to give to the food bank, just before Christmas, for their ‘turkey’ expenses.
- Take walks to the shops in our Town every day, and see what treasures I can find.
- Make sure I smile and say hello to folks while I’m on the above walks.
- Start a list of ‘good stuff’: Every day, write down one good thing that happened to me, or that I saw happen to someone else, and share it.
- Start each day with a hug for my other half, who still appreciates most of my ideas; or maybe pretends he does - which qualifies him for an extra big hug!
- Be good to my body: Eat a potassium-filled treat every day – yummm! I actually started this yesterday with a delicious apple from a local orchard.
- Be on the lookout for Christmas concerts or Choral performances – They always lift my spirit in the right direction.
- Be civil, and even friendly, to telemarketers, who are doing a very undesirable job in order to pay their bills. When the season gets closer, I will extend Christmas greetings to those people as well – a free offer for our telemarketing brothers and sisters.
And if you don’t care for lists, then just keep it simple: BE KIND.
Post a Comment
More Blogs by Edie M. Batstone
A Magnificent Obsession - Monday, January 26, 2015
Merry Christmas! - Monday, December 15, 2014
Welcome Christmas! - Wednesday, December 03, 2014
Drop That Rock! - Friday, November 14, 2014
'Lest We Remember' - Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Little Building - Saturday, November 01, 2014
Counting To Ten! - Thursday, October 09, 2014
This Old House - Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Off With Her Hat! - Thursday, June 19, 2014
Be Not Afraid - You Are A Masterpiece! - Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Mothers' Day Silliness - Thursday, May 08, 2014
Spring Is Here? - Monday, March 24, 2014
Knitting Thoughts - Saturday, January 25, 2014
Finding Holy Ground - Friday, January 10, 2014
Baby Pictures - Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Next Stop: 'Zoomerland'! - Wednesday, October 16, 2013
The Treasure Seekers! - Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Thank You For The Dreams Dad! - Sunday, June 16, 2013
A Great Big Warm 'Boot To The Head'! - Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Walk With Me - Fly For Me! - Saturday, April 20, 2013
If I Were Twenty Years Younger! - Saturday, April 13, 2013
Where The Wind Blows! - Saturday, March 23, 2013
A Valentine Sonnet - Thursday, February 14, 2013
My Roof's Got A Hole In It - Saturday, January 26, 2013
Wait Training 101 - Saturday, January 05, 2013
Merry Christmas To All And To All A GOOD LIGHT - Friday, December 21, 2012
In The Arms Of Christmas - Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Hope For A Precious Child - Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Happiness Can Be Tricky! - Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Sign, Sign, Everywhere Sign - Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Housework Or Heartwork! - Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Wheee! I'm Riding! - Thursday, July 19, 2012
Reading In The Garden - Monday, July 16, 2012
The Strongest Man In The World! - Monday, June 25, 2012
Time Travel! - Friday, May 25, 2012
Dr. Seuss's Teapot! - Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Love That Bluegrass! - Sunday, April 15, 2012
An Easter Walk - Friday, April 06, 2012
Mom's Dahlias - Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Still Climbing! - Monday, February 13, 2012
Someone Open A Window! - Wednesday, February 01, 2012
Chill, Papa Joe! - Saturday, January 14, 2012
Let The Games Begin! - Thursday, January 12, 2012
All Is Calm - Or Not! - Thursday, December 29, 2011
Plant Seeds Of Hope This Christmas! - Wednesday, December 07, 2011
Something Fishy In The Air! - Wednesday, November 09, 2011
Tinker Bell's Mom! - Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Roofers' Rap - Thursday, October 13, 2011
Hope - Bring It On! - Thursday, October 06, 2011
My Christmas List - Monday, September 26, 2011
Hold That Thought! - Saturday, September 03, 2011
Been To Newfoundland - Got Way More Than The T-Shirt! - Sunday, August 28, 2011
I Found A Pearl! - Monday, July 25, 2011
Me And Pepe! - Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Hand To Mouth - Monday, May 23, 2011
Dear God, I'm Afraid! - Thursday, May 12, 2011
Write It Down! - Thursday, May 05, 2011
Twirl With Me! - Wednesday, April 27, 2011
What's The Word? - Saturday, April 23, 2011
Talking To My Plants! - Monday, April 18, 2011
Kidding Around - Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Disconnected! - Monday, April 11, 2011
Who Do You Think You Are - In Twenty Minutes?! - Friday, April 08, 2011
Crap Happy! - Saturday, April 02, 2011
Top O' The Morning, Afternoon, and Evening - Thursday, March 17, 2011
Eva Cassidy's Beauty Lives On! - Wednesday, March 09, 2011
I'm Melting! - Saturday, March 05, 2011