Blogs by Ronnie Ray Jenkins
Literary Agents, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
7/27/2012 10:10:37 AM
Some things writers should know about literary agents.
I remember back more than 12 years ago, when I began the daunting task of querying literary agents. I thought, I knew it all then. Boy, was I wrong. I soon found out that the writing world is filled with sharks who masquerade as literary agents. One in particular comes to mind. This woman claimed to be a literary agent, charged reading fees, and then offered her in-house editorial service. Being the hungry writer, I fell for it all. When I finally realized she was a scam, I vowed to educate anyone who sought out the services of literary agents. Here's a few quick lessons.
1. If they want any fees--RUN.
2. If they offer you editing at a cost, or if the editor they recommend is associated with them--RUN.
3. Learn from websites like, Preditors and Editors, or Writer Beware. They provide a great deal of information about fake literary agents who charge fees for representation. If an agent wants anything more than the standard 15-percent--RUN.
4. Expect rejections from legitimate agents. It's part of the game. What might not be good for them, may be good for someone else. If you are constantly rejected, re-think, and re-write. Obviously, something is wrong.
5. Be professional in your approach, and keep your query tight, and concise, and 250 words is usually the normal word count of a "knock-em-dead," query.
6. Finally, if it is too good to be true, guess what? It probably is.
Over and out.
Ronnie Ray Jenkins
More Blogs by Ronnie Ray Jenkins
Free Promo for The Flowers of Reminiscence results. - Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Happy Labor Day - Monday, September 03, 2012
Who said it was going to be easy? - Saturday, September 01, 2012
Official Trailer-- The Flowers of Reminiscence - Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Why Do Writer's Write? Why I Do. - Monday, August 06, 2012
Staying True To Yourself - Thursday, August 02, 2012
Women Selling Eggs To Make Ends Meet - Wednesday, August 01, 2012
Sunday Morning Coming Down - Sunday, July 29, 2012
Literary Agents, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. - Friday, July 27, 2012
Ronnie Ray Jenkins--A Writer's Life - Thursday, July 26, 2012