David A. Schwinghammer
· Soldier's Gap
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 8
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer, Chapter Eight
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Eight
· Bereavement Blues
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 7
· Speed Dating With 'Janeane Garofalo'
· The Cynic
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer - Chapter Seven
· Mengele's Double, Chapter 7
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Six
· Bogus Political Cartoons
· The Devil in the White City, book review
· Norse Mythology, book review
· Capitalism, Is This the Best We Can Do?
· Bookworm (book review)
· Band of Brothers (book review)
· WWII Nurses (book review)
· Glory Fades Away (book review)
· Denial Is Not a River in Egypt, George!
· Thomas Jefferson, book review
· Alumni Game
· Girls Who Wear Glasses
· The Do Drop Inn
· Ode to Neve Campbell
· Jacks or Better 101
· Never My Love
· 3 O'Clock
David A. Schwinghammer, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
Dressing Arnie Vogel
8/18/2009 9:44:55 AM
What does your main character wear? Take a look in his/her closet. What pictures, lucky pieces etc. does your character own? What does your character's room look like?
The next step is to dress Arnie and create little habits and such that make him identifiable as somebody you might actually know.
1. Arnie wears a Navy peacoat and watch cap. When it’s a little warmer he wears the blue Navy work coat. He owns a half dozen blue chambray shirts, and a half dozen flannel shirts of assorted colors, three pair of jeans, and a couple of khaki pants for dress up.
2. Wears engineer boots.
3. There’s no closet in the motel room he’s staying in, so he lives out of his duffel. What’s in the duffel? A dozen pairs of black socks, a dozen pairs of briefs and t-shirts, yellowed and frayed. A wool sweater he got in Ireland, green. A dozen blue bandanas. There’s a pair of dogtags and a scapular that he carries as a sort of lucky piece. He’s not that religious.
4. His most prized possession is a digital camera he got in France for a hundred dollars. There’s an envelope full of pictures and some letters he got from his grandmother.
5. Buys a laptop computer when he starts writing for THE INQUISITOR.
6. He keeps a little journal. His grandmother had hounded him to write her about what he saw in Europe and in the Far East.
7. There’s a twin bed in his motel room and also a king-sized one. He sleeps in the little one. There’s a coffee maker and a jar of Sanka. There are Renoir prints on the wall. He takes them down. The walls are painted blue. The bed spread is a yellowish-white, braided. He hates it. There’s a window on the back wall overlooking a dumpster. The thermostat doesn’t seem to work. That’s hardly any water pressure in the shower.
8. He carries a switch-blade knife.
9. He keeps a picture of Bernie he got from her when she was sixteen. Bernie is now married to a loan officer at the local bank with two children.
In the picture she’s wearing a dress for a change. Her chin is cupped in her hands, her elbows braced on her bare knees. She looks bored.
10. Arnie has a sweet tooth. He especially likes Mars bars and Lifesavers.
He smokes Luckies, non-filtered.
Next step. Rituals.
Post a Comment new!
More Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
Skunks Believe Everybody Else Stinks - Thursday, May 16, 2013
The Morning After Pill - Friday, April 12, 2013
What Would Thomas Jefferson Say? - Saturday, April 06, 2013
Boneheads - Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Why Benedict XVI Resigned - Sunday, February 17, 2013
Gabby Giffords Testifies - Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Newspaper Caters to Gun Owners - Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Piers Morgan Deserves a Medal - Monday, December 24, 2012
The Red Devil and the Blue Devil? - Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Is the new TV show, REVOLUTION, fantasy? - Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Fanatical Moslems Aren't That Different From Our Fanatics - Wednesday, September 12, 2012
We Need the United Nations - Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Stop Catering to People's Basest Instincts - Monday, July 09, 2012
Concerned Women for America political ad - Saturday, June 23, 2012
Independent Voters Need to Pick a Side - Monday, June 11, 2012
Romney's Solyndra Appearance - Friday, June 01, 2012
Single Issue Voters - Sunday, May 20, 2012
Bully or Sociopath? - Saturday, May 12, 2012
Tan-orexic Woman Poor Role Model - Friday, May 04, 2012
So Far Right They're Almost Left - Sunday, April 22, 2012
Dog Eat Dog - Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Tea Party is Back! - Sunday, March 25, 2012
Gas Prices - Tuesday, March 13, 2012
"Doofus" - Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Bon Iver Front Man Makes Important Statement - Thursday, February 16, 2012
Contraception Blowback - Friday, February 10, 2012
800 vetoes! - Saturday, February 04, 2012
Issa Hounding Holder over GOP program - Thursday, February 02, 2012
Rick Santelli's Rant - Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Corporate Raider President? - Thursday, December 01, 2011
Is This the Best They Can Do? - Thursday, November 17, 2011
Tea Party a non-violent Movement? - Sunday, October 30, 2011
Wall Street Protests - Wednesday, October 05, 2011
Three new stooges - Thursday, August 25, 2011
Hypocrite enters the race - Friday, August 19, 2011
Business Leaders Need to Speak Out - Saturday, July 30, 2011
Rupert Murdoch and GOP Credibility - Monday, July 25, 2011
Playing on the railroad tracks - Sunday, July 17, 2011
Scapegoating - Sunday, June 19, 2011
The Biggest Swindle in US history - Friday, June 03, 2011
We're Still Here! - Saturday, May 21, 2011
Improve education by improving teacher morale - Wednesday, May 04, 2011
Tea Partiers Don't Know What They're Talking About - Thursday, April 28, 2011
General Electric paid no corporate taxes - Tuesday, April 05, 2011
The Flat Earth Society is at it again! - Thursday, March 17, 2011
Crap fest - Thursday, March 03, 2011
Egyptian Revolution - Tuesday, February 08, 2011
Tucson - Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Would you want a right-winger for a neighbor? - Friday, January 07, 2011
Noah's Ark Museum - Monday, December 06, 2010
Frick and Frack Shoot Off Their Mouths - Friday, November 05, 2010
Enthusiam Gap - Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Super Computer - Tuesday, October 19, 2010
US Chamber of Commerce, conservative front group. - Wednesday, October 13, 2010
13 Reasons to vote the straight democratic ticket - Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Breitbart Makes Segretti look like a choirboy - Wednesday, July 28, 2010
House on Fire? - Thursday, June 17, 2010
The Blame Game - Friday, May 28, 2010
National Prayer Day - Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Conservative psyche (continued) - Friday, May 14, 2010
Conservative psyche - Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Are you smarter than a half-term governor? - Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Rewriting History - Monday, April 05, 2010
Fred Phelps - Friday, April 02, 2010
Combing the Daily Newspaper - Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Noir - Friday, November 06, 2009
Interview with SOLDIER'S GAP author continued - Tuesday, November 03, 2009
More from SOLDIER'S GAP author - Thursday, October 29, 2009
SOLDIER'S GAP author answers questions. - Thursday, October 22, 2009
Everything you always wanted to know about writing a novel - Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Manuscript conventions - Thursday, September 10, 2009
Revision - Monday, September 07, 2009
Dialogue - Thursday, September 03, 2009
Scene cards - Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Point of view - Thursday, August 27, 2009
Plot - Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Arnie's dream - Friday, August 21, 2009
Rituals - Thursday, August 20, 2009
Dressing Arnie Vogel - Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Character sketch continued - Friday, August 14, 2009
Character sketch - Thursday, August 13, 2009
Characterization - Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Scene outline - Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Warm-up activity - Freewriting - Monday, August 10, 2009
Warm-up activity - brainstorming - Sunday, August 09, 2009
Warm-up techniques (clustering) - Saturday, August 08, 2009