David A. Schwinghammer
· Soldier's Gap
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 8
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer, Chapter Eight
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Eight
· Bereavement Blues
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 7
· Speed Dating With 'Janeane Garofalo'
· The Cynic
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer - Chapter Seven
· Mengele's Double, Chapter 7
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Six
· The Nuclear Option
· Empty Mansions, book review
· Pilgrim's Wilderness, book review
· WWII Cartoonist, book review
· Write Yourself Into a Corner, book review
· Roanoke Island, book review
· Billboard Theology
· Baghdad Without a Map, book review
· Into the Wild, book review
· The Zookeeper's Wife (review)
· Alumni Game
· Girls Who Wear Glasses
· The Do Drop Inn
· Ode to Neve Campbell
· Jacks or Better 101
· Never My Love
· 3 O'Clock
David A. Schwinghammer, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
13 Reasons to vote the straight democratic ticket
9/1/2010 9:40:57 AM
The Republican party has lost their minds.
Thirteen Reasons to vote the straight Democratic ticket.
GOOP equals Grand Old Opportunists.
1. The economy: The GOOP never learns. Deregulation and winking at Wall Street gambling led to the Great Depression (Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover were presidents prior to the Depression). GOOP didn’t learn a thing. George W. Bush deregulated as much as possible and when he couldn’t he appointed “graduates” from Liberty College, Patrick Henry College, and Bob Jones to run important agencies. The run-up to the worst recession since the Depression is eerily similar to the fiasco in the thirties. Of course conservatives revere Calvin Coolidge as one of our greatest presidents. Historians rank him somewhere around 32nd out of forty-four. I would think that’s a bit high.
2. Balancing the budget: Republicans haven’t balanced the budget since Eisenhower. They’ve got a lot of gall suggesting they can do better. Reagan quadrupled the national debt, George W. Bush doubled it again, and George H.W. Bush helped contributed as well. These three were responsible for 80% of the national debt, prior to Obama. Then there was the fancy footwork Bush pulled where he didn’t count the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq or the money he borrowed from Social Security. Obama is counting them plus some of the leftover debt from Bush.
3. “Just say ‘no’”: Republicans could have had tort reform if they’d negotiated on Health Care. Meanwhile insurance companies are charging doctors liability insurance and the docs are passing it on to us, while lawyers rake in millions suing doctors. Funny Republicans are actually for tort reform; we know how they love insurance companies.
4. Education: When Obama passed legislation saving 100,000 jobs for teachers, police officers, and firemen, GOOP accused them of paying kickbacks to the Democratic Reelection committee. This from the political party that siphoned money from the Katrina relief fund. It’s hard enough to find competent teachers who will work for low pay without these kind of baseless accusations. It’s all about teachers unions who tend to work for democratic candidates.
5. Scapegoating. Moslems, homosexuals, Latin-Americans. Are you next?
6. Religion: The GOOP freely admit that their base consists of fundamental Christians, contrary to the First Amendment, which they’re now working hard to distort, claiming America was founded as a Christian country. Not according to 30% of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, including George Washington, who were freemasons. Their main tenet was separation of church and state.
7. Patriotism: When health care reform passed, Texas governor Rick Perry threatened to secede from the union. Missouri held a nullification referendum. Lincoln must be spinning in his grave.
8. Guns: 30,000 gun deaths every year. The GOOP considers these deaths collateral damage. No gun locks, no liability insurance, no background checks. All this because of an ambiguous amendment to the constitution that seems to apply more to 1787 than anything.
9. Candidates: Where do they get these people? How does a woman run as a Republican when right wing conservatives view her as a second class citizen? How does Marco Rubio run as a Republican senatorial candidate when he’s the son of a Cuban refugee who at the time he came to America was stereotyped as a criminal and a derelict by conservatives. Then there’s Sarah Palin, who couldn’t even deal with softballs thrown by that barracuda Katie Couric.
10. The Texas School Board rewrites history, giving Jefferson Davis equal time with Lincoln. Meanwhile Dick Armey claims the Jamestown settlers were socialists because they almost starved to death their first year in America. They were far from socialists. They were looking for gold and the northwest passage. They didn’t know how to farm, and they had antagonized the Indians so much they refused to help them. Meanwhile the Pilgrims almost starved as well, resorting to eating the Indians seed corn, but they’re not socialists.
11. Republican activists: Andrew Breitbart outs racist Shirley Sherrod. The GOOP blames it on Obama. Once again the GOOP learns nothing from Watergate.
12. Fox News. “Fair and balanced” in whose universe? This is a propaganda network and “commentators” like Beck and Hannity should remind you of somebody else who tried to rewrite history, namely Joseph Goebbels. MSNBC has been tabbed a liberal network, but Chris Matthews tends to criticize Obama almost as much as he praises him and Olbermann dared criticize the president for not pushing for single payer health insurance.
You won’t find conservative commentators criticizing Bush.
13. Climate change. The GOOP gloms onto the three percent of environmental scientists who doubt climate change, risking the destruction of the human race. A big chunk of Newfoundland just fell into the ocean.
Philadelphia has weather like Mobile, Alabama, in August. Then there’s stem cell research. A political hack judge rules against stem cell research which was making strides toward curing diseases like Alzheimer’s and helping paraplegics.
The Republican party is rapidly going the way of the Whigs and the Know Nothings. We used to laugh at Lyndon LaRouche when he kept running for president as a libertarian, wanting to do away with the Federal Reserve and put us back on the gold standard. Guess what? The GOOP loves those ideas.
More Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
Ted Cruz - Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Here We Go Again. - Thursday, September 19, 2013
Reality TV - Friday, August 09, 2013
Common Sense - Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Skunks Believe Everybody Else Stinks - Thursday, May 16, 2013
The Morning After Pill - Friday, April 12, 2013
What Would Thomas Jefferson Say? - Saturday, April 06, 2013
Boneheads - Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Why Benedict XVI Resigned - Sunday, February 17, 2013
Gabby Giffords Testifies - Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Newspaper Caters to Gun Owners - Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Piers Morgan Deserves a Medal - Monday, December 24, 2012
The Red Devil and the Blue Devil? - Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Is the new TV show, REVOLUTION, fantasy? - Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Fanatical Moslems Aren't That Different From Our Fanatics - Wednesday, September 12, 2012
We Need the United Nations - Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Stop Catering to People's Basest Instincts - Monday, July 09, 2012
Concerned Women for America political ad - Saturday, June 23, 2012
Independent Voters Need to Pick a Side - Monday, June 11, 2012
Romney's Solyndra Appearance - Friday, June 01, 2012
Single Issue Voters - Sunday, May 20, 2012
Bully or Sociopath? - Saturday, May 12, 2012
Tan-orexic Woman Poor Role Model - Friday, May 04, 2012
So Far Right They're Almost Left - Sunday, April 22, 2012
Dog Eat Dog - Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Tea Party is Back! - Sunday, March 25, 2012
Gas Prices - Tuesday, March 13, 2012
"Doofus" - Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Bon Iver Front Man Makes Important Statement - Thursday, February 16, 2012
Contraception Blowback - Friday, February 10, 2012
800 vetoes! - Saturday, February 04, 2012
Issa Hounding Holder over GOP program - Thursday, February 02, 2012
Rick Santelli's Rant - Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Corporate Raider President? - Thursday, December 01, 2011
Is This the Best They Can Do? - Thursday, November 17, 2011
Tea Party a non-violent Movement? - Sunday, October 30, 2011
Wall Street Protests - Wednesday, October 05, 2011
Three new stooges - Thursday, August 25, 2011
Hypocrite enters the race - Friday, August 19, 2011
Business Leaders Need to Speak Out - Saturday, July 30, 2011
Rupert Murdoch and GOP Credibility - Monday, July 25, 2011
Playing on the railroad tracks - Sunday, July 17, 2011
Scapegoating - Sunday, June 19, 2011
The Biggest Swindle in US history - Friday, June 03, 2011
We're Still Here! - Saturday, May 21, 2011
Improve education by improving teacher morale - Wednesday, May 04, 2011
Tea Partiers Don't Know What They're Talking About - Thursday, April 28, 2011
General Electric paid no corporate taxes - Tuesday, April 05, 2011
The Flat Earth Society is at it again! - Thursday, March 17, 2011
Crap fest - Thursday, March 03, 2011
Egyptian Revolution - Tuesday, February 08, 2011
Tucson - Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Would you want a right-winger for a neighbor? - Friday, January 07, 2011
Noah's Ark Museum - Monday, December 06, 2010
Frick and Frack Shoot Off Their Mouths - Friday, November 05, 2010
Enthusiam Gap - Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Super Computer - Tuesday, October 19, 2010
US Chamber of Commerce, conservative front group. - Wednesday, October 13, 2010
13 Reasons to vote the straight democratic ticket - Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Breitbart Makes Segretti look like a choirboy - Wednesday, July 28, 2010
House on Fire? - Thursday, June 17, 2010
The Blame Game - Friday, May 28, 2010
National Prayer Day - Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Conservative psyche (continued) - Friday, May 14, 2010
Conservative psyche - Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Are you smarter than a half-term governor? - Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Rewriting History - Monday, April 05, 2010
Fred Phelps - Friday, April 02, 2010
Combing the Daily Newspaper - Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Noir - Friday, November 06, 2009
Interview with SOLDIER'S GAP author continued - Tuesday, November 03, 2009
More from SOLDIER'S GAP author - Thursday, October 29, 2009
SOLDIER'S GAP author answers questions. - Thursday, October 22, 2009
Everything you always wanted to know about writing a novel - Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Manuscript conventions - Thursday, September 10, 2009
Revision - Monday, September 07, 2009
Dialogue - Thursday, September 03, 2009
Scene cards - Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Point of view - Thursday, August 27, 2009
Plot - Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Arnie's dream - Friday, August 21, 2009
Rituals - Thursday, August 20, 2009
Dressing Arnie Vogel - Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Character sketch continued - Friday, August 14, 2009
Character sketch - Thursday, August 13, 2009
Characterization - Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Scene outline - Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Warm-up activity - Freewriting - Monday, August 10, 2009
Warm-up activity - brainstorming - Sunday, August 09, 2009
Warm-up techniques (clustering) - Saturday, August 08, 2009