David A. Schwinghammer
· Soldier's Gap
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 8
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer, Chapter Eight
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Eight
· Bereavement Blues
· Fisher of Men, Chapter 7
· Speed Dating With 'Janeane Garofalo'
· The Cynic
· Honest Thief, Tender Murderer - Chapter Seven
· Mengele's Double, Chapter 7
· Mengele's Double, Chapter Six
· Empty Mansions, book review
· Pilgrim's Wilderness, book review
· WWII Cartoonist, book review
· Write Yourself Into a Corner, book review
· Roanoke Island, book review
· Billboard Theology
· Baghdad Without a Map, book review
· Into the Wild, book review
· The Zookeeper's Wife (review)
· The Lost Painting, book review
· Alumni Game
· Girls Who Wear Glasses
· The Do Drop Inn
· Ode to Neve Campbell
· Jacks or Better 101
· Never My Love
· 3 O'Clock
David A. Schwinghammer, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
Would you want a right-winger for a neighbor?
1/7/2011 10:56:14 AM
Would you put up with this stuff if these guys
lived next door?
Would you want a Right-winger for a Neighbor?
My neighbor won’t tie up his dogs. When I go outside, the big one takes a run at me, scaring the crap out of me. Neighbor has a security fence but it doesn’t work. Lately the mutts been using my snow banks as a commode. I’ve talked to him a couple of times about both problems, but the dog took another run at me the other day, so it looks like a hopeless situation. I’d call the cops but I don’t want to be one of THOSE guys.
How would you like to have a neighbor like that? If not, why do we put up with political figures and demonstrators who act even more boorishly? Here are some examples which may seem vaguely familiar.
1. Neighbor has a gun rack in his truck. It’s not supposed to be loaded but it is. He says he doesn’t want to be caught in a Virginia Tech situation without protection. During odd moments during the day you hear explosions over there that sound a lot like gunshots. Does he have a shooting range in his basement? Thinks college kids should be armed, just in case. You ask if he’s met a college student lately. Here’s an interesting factoid. 80% of the assault weapons used in the Mexican drug war come from the United States. Drug warlords use American “straw men” to buy them. Meanwhile, neighbor and his friends resist background checks at gun shows, which is where the Virginia Tech assassin got his weapons.
2. Antisocial behavior: Neighbor went on one of those charter buses with Michelle Bachmann to protest the new Health Care law, where he spit on a black congressmen. We’re suspicious he’s the one sent the used condom to democratic Congressmen Betty McCollum.
3. Racism. Neighbor still thinks Shirley Sherrod is a racist. When told a Georgia cracker murdered her father, he said, “He probably started it.”
4. Religion: Neighbor gives me a dirty look every time he sees me cutting my grass on Sunday. His vacation destination last year was the Creationism Museum where exhibits show dinosaurs co-existing with cavemen. When asked about the Grand Canyon, he insists that happened during the Flood in the Bible.
5. Education: Neighbor thinks an eighth grade education is enough for anyone. The rest of it is glorified babysitting. Why would you pay a teacher $60,000 a year, with three months off for the summer, for something you could get for minimum wage?
6. Immigrants. Neighbor hates anybody who isn’t White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Insists Somalians came over here to get on welfare. Thinks all Hispanics are wetbacks and should be profiled whether they’re citizens or not.
7. Science: Thinks scientists are gay, a double-whammy. When shown the transcript for Scopes III in which a scientist testified about “missing links” which confirm evolution, he insisted those bones were faked just like the moon landing.
8. Homophobia: Believes homosexuality can be cured. Cites Ted Haggard as an example. Haggart was the phony preacher who was having a homosexual relationship on the side. When told that from five to fifteen percent of Americans are homosexual and that the Constitution guarantees that “All men are created equal,” he says the Bible takes precedent over the Constitution.
9. Name-calling: Obama is a “socialist” for trying to shove Obamacare down our throats. Neighbor is on Medicare and Social Security with a VA pension to boot, but that’s not the same thing. Teabaggers portray Obama as Hitler and as an African tribesman. They insist he wasn’t born in Hawaii, despite the birth certificate that he furnished before running for office and the birth announcement in a Hawaiian newspaper. Meanwhile conservative neighbors pull a Hitler in Texas, rewriting history to fit their agenda, and Limbaugh calls Jimmy Carter a “hemorrhoid” for insisting the Tea Partiers were racist.
10. Just say ‘No.’ Neighbor won’t play golf unless we play by his rules.
The Patriot Act, where the government spies on its own citizens, is okay, but God help us if the government passes single payer health care.
More Blogs by David A. Schwinghammer
Ted Cruz - Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Here We Go Again. - Thursday, September 19, 2013
Reality TV - Friday, August 09, 2013
Common Sense - Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Skunks Believe Everybody Else Stinks - Thursday, May 16, 2013
The Morning After Pill - Friday, April 12, 2013
What Would Thomas Jefferson Say? - Saturday, April 06, 2013
Boneheads - Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Why Benedict XVI Resigned - Sunday, February 17, 2013
Gabby Giffords Testifies - Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Newspaper Caters to Gun Owners - Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Piers Morgan Deserves a Medal - Monday, December 24, 2012
The Red Devil and the Blue Devil? - Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Is the new TV show, REVOLUTION, fantasy? - Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Fanatical Moslems Aren't That Different From Our Fanatics - Wednesday, September 12, 2012
We Need the United Nations - Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Stop Catering to People's Basest Instincts - Monday, July 09, 2012
Concerned Women for America political ad - Saturday, June 23, 2012
Independent Voters Need to Pick a Side - Monday, June 11, 2012
Romney's Solyndra Appearance - Friday, June 01, 2012
Single Issue Voters - Sunday, May 20, 2012
Bully or Sociopath? - Saturday, May 12, 2012
Tan-orexic Woman Poor Role Model - Friday, May 04, 2012
So Far Right They're Almost Left - Sunday, April 22, 2012
Dog Eat Dog - Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Tea Party is Back! - Sunday, March 25, 2012
Gas Prices - Tuesday, March 13, 2012
"Doofus" - Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Bon Iver Front Man Makes Important Statement - Thursday, February 16, 2012
Contraception Blowback - Friday, February 10, 2012
800 vetoes! - Saturday, February 04, 2012
Issa Hounding Holder over GOP program - Thursday, February 02, 2012
Rick Santelli's Rant - Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Corporate Raider President? - Thursday, December 01, 2011
Is This the Best They Can Do? - Thursday, November 17, 2011
Tea Party a non-violent Movement? - Sunday, October 30, 2011
Wall Street Protests - Wednesday, October 05, 2011
Three new stooges - Thursday, August 25, 2011
Hypocrite enters the race - Friday, August 19, 2011
Business Leaders Need to Speak Out - Saturday, July 30, 2011
Rupert Murdoch and GOP Credibility - Monday, July 25, 2011
Playing on the railroad tracks - Sunday, July 17, 2011
Scapegoating - Sunday, June 19, 2011
The Biggest Swindle in US history - Friday, June 03, 2011
We're Still Here! - Saturday, May 21, 2011
Improve education by improving teacher morale - Wednesday, May 04, 2011
Tea Partiers Don't Know What They're Talking About - Thursday, April 28, 2011
General Electric paid no corporate taxes - Tuesday, April 05, 2011
The Flat Earth Society is at it again! - Thursday, March 17, 2011
Crap fest - Thursday, March 03, 2011
Egyptian Revolution - Tuesday, February 08, 2011
Tucson - Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Would you want a right-winger for a neighbor? - Friday, January 07, 2011
Noah's Ark Museum - Monday, December 06, 2010
Frick and Frack Shoot Off Their Mouths - Friday, November 05, 2010
Enthusiam Gap - Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Super Computer - Tuesday, October 19, 2010
US Chamber of Commerce, conservative front group. - Wednesday, October 13, 2010
13 Reasons to vote the straight democratic ticket - Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Breitbart Makes Segretti look like a choirboy - Wednesday, July 28, 2010
House on Fire? - Thursday, June 17, 2010
The Blame Game - Friday, May 28, 2010
National Prayer Day - Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Conservative psyche (continued) - Friday, May 14, 2010
Conservative psyche - Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Are you smarter than a half-term governor? - Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Rewriting History - Monday, April 05, 2010
Fred Phelps - Friday, April 02, 2010
Combing the Daily Newspaper - Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Noir - Friday, November 06, 2009
Interview with SOLDIER'S GAP author continued - Tuesday, November 03, 2009
More from SOLDIER'S GAP author - Thursday, October 29, 2009
SOLDIER'S GAP author answers questions. - Thursday, October 22, 2009
Everything you always wanted to know about writing a novel - Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Manuscript conventions - Thursday, September 10, 2009
Revision - Monday, September 07, 2009
Dialogue - Thursday, September 03, 2009
Scene cards - Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Point of view - Thursday, August 27, 2009
Plot - Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Arnie's dream - Friday, August 21, 2009
Rituals - Thursday, August 20, 2009
Dressing Arnie Vogel - Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Character sketch continued - Friday, August 14, 2009
Character sketch - Thursday, August 13, 2009
Characterization - Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Scene outline - Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Warm-up activity - Freewriting - Monday, August 10, 2009
Warm-up activity - brainstorming - Sunday, August 09, 2009
Warm-up techniques (clustering) - Saturday, August 08, 2009