Beginning july 1, 2010, Whispers Publishing will be hosting the “African-American Heritage” writing contest. The contest is open to all writers published and unpublished.
- Each story must be a minimum of 10,000 words but no more than 30,000 words.
- Each story must be centered around a piece of African-American heritage like the Nala necklace or the Khanga or be set in a place that is rich in African-American History. Both the hero and the heroine must be African-American. The possibilities are endless, and we leave the choice up to each individual writer.
- Any genre or time period is acceptable. Be creative and don’t limit yourself.
- Contest deadline is August 15, 2010.
- There will be three winners chosen as well as two honorable mentions.
Entry must not have been published in any format, including the author’s website.
Entries exceeding 30,000 words will be disqualified.
Entries should not include any subject matter which Whispers Publishing does not currently accept. Please visit our submission guidelines for further information.
Entries must not be submitted before July 1, 2010. Entries submitted before this date will be automatically disqualified.
Prospective entries should be submitted no later than midnight (12:00 a.m.) EST on JULY 31, 2010.
Entries should consist of the title of your story, the genre, a brief bio, and the story in rft format attached to the e-mail. No other formats will be accepted.
Limit two entries per person for two separate works of fiction.
Each entry should be emailed to whisperssubmissions . gmail.com (without the spaces)with the words African Heritage Entry in the subject line.
Your name (both real name and pseudonym if used), address, telephone number, and a valid email address must be included with your query.
All entries must be received by August 15, 2010.
Judging will begin on August 16, 2010 with the top three winners and two honorable mentions notified on or before October 15, 2010.
All entries will be judged by published authors with the final round judging decided by Whispers Publishing’s Editor-in-Chief and Whispers Publishing’s staff editors.
First Place Prize winner will receive $50.00, an award certificate, and a contract for publication of the winning entry.
Second Place Winner: $25.00, an award certificate, and a contract for publication of the winning entry.
Third Place Winner: $10.00, an award certificate, and a contract for publication of the winning entry.
Honorary Mentions will receive an award certificate and consideration for publication.