Tom Hyland, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
200,284 HITS OR VISITS !!!
10/23/2007 12:07:00 PM
by Tom Hyland
|YAAAAAAAAAY ... MEEEEEEEE !
Why such an EGOTISTICAL outburst? Because YOUSE GUYS make me HAPPY!
The proverbial WE ... are the current and last BASTIONS of TRUTH, INTEGRITY, and TENACIOUSNESS (TIT) ... in our times!
We read. We care. We write. We comment. We THINK, therefore, WE ARE!
Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus...
NOTE: These famous words were published in 1897, a mere One Hundred and Ten Years ago!
Is There a Santa Claus?
From the Editorial Page of The New York Sun,
written by Francis P. Church, September 21, 1897
We take pleasure in answering thus prominently the communication below, expressing at the same time our great gratification that its faithful author is numbered among the friends of The Sun:
"Dear Editor--I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in The Sun, it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?
115 West Ninety-fifth Street
Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the scepticism of a sceptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no child-like faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.
Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.
You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Please read our Legal Notice and our Privacy Statement.Copyright ©1996-2007 STORMFAX, INC.
NOTE FROM TOM:
Is it not the Principle, the Concept, the Idea... that is Paramount? WE, THE ROMANTICS... the Poets, Authors, Writers of this world... DO DEEM IT SO!
My Fellow and Fellowesses Authors... I SALUTE YOU!
In the humble words of THE KING:
"Thank you, thank you, thank you... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
More News by Tom Hyland
· PATRICIA ANN ALLEN - 4/3/2014 5:48:00 PM
· JERSEY DEVIL... aka KNAVE WUSS-A-LOT Update ! - 3/7/2014 12:51:00 PM
· JERSEY DEVIL HANGING IN THERE STILL ! - 2/11/2014 1:19:00 AM
· ED MATLACK IN HOSPITAL ! - 11/24/2013 10:31:00 AM
· ONE MILLION ! - 4/2/2013 4:55:00 AM
· ONLY 2,639 TO GO! - 3/22/2013 7:50:00 AM
· 805,000 + HITS ! - 1/7/2012 7:35:00 PM
· R.I.P. GEORG E. MATEOS - 8/4/2011 6:03:00 AM
· 700,051 HITS ! - 5/1/2011 10:56:00 PM
· THE PRICE OF FREEDOM - BOOK REVIEW - 9/11/2010 1:06:00 PM
· 600,011 HITS ! - 7/11/2010 6:32:00 PM
· TOM-KAT'S STATS - 12/8/2009 4:08:00 AM
· GOBBLE-GOBBLE - 11/26/2009 3:01:00 PM
· A BLESSED FOURTH - LET FREEDOM RING - 6/29/2009 9:51:00 PM
· JUST PASSED 402,000 HITS! - 4/8/2009 6:14:00 AM
· TA-DAH - 1/30/2009 8:41:00 PM
· 350,751 HITS ! - 12/3/2008 5:36:00 PM
· 300,000 Visitors! - 7/29/2008 7:34:00 AM
· AMERICA - Freedom to Fascism - REVIEW of DOC - 5/31/2008 8:14:00 AM
· ONE-QUARTER MILLION - NOT DOLLARS! - 4/25/2008 11:58:00 AM
· MATT IS ALIVE AND WELL! - 3/12/2008 5:58:00 PM
· STATS - ALMOST 240,000 - 3/9/2008 6:08:00 PM
· PASSED 185,000 VISITS NOW. - 8/20/2007 8:46:00 PM
· WOW - 175,000 HITS! - 6/27/2007 8:11:00 PM
· Another Benchmark Reached! - 5/11/2007 2:17:00 AM
· Just Passed 150,000 Visitors - 3/7/2007 9:13:00 PM
· HO ! HO ! HO ! - 12/3/2006 8:52:00 AM
· Hits, or Visits - Update = 140,000! - 7/25/2006 8:53:00 AM
· First Book CANCELLED! - 6/8/2006 11:14:00 AM
· First Book Published! - 6/9/2005 1:12:00 PM
· I'm being COMPOSED! - 4/27/2005 2:57:00 PM
· BAWLMER BOYHOOD - my First Book - 11/21/2004 6:31:00 AM
· Poem "Autumn Leaves" POSTED - 9/18/2004 7:14:00 PM
· Love Is Like ... published in PASSION Anthology - 9/10/2003 5:34:00 PM
· ACCEPTANCE OF FIRST BOOK !!! - 5/17/2003 7:46:00 AM