Saturday, May 16th
Author & CNN Senior Copy Editor
CIPA attendees are in for a real treat as notable author and journalist, John DeDakis, (pronounced deh-DAY-kiss) will be the guest speaker at May’s CIPA meeting. DeDakis is probably best known for his current role as editor/writer for CNN's The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.
His 40-year journalism career began by getting tear gassed while covering an anti-Vietnam War riot in the 70's and in ways he never anticipated, that crazy experience sent him on an unexpected path to becoming a novelist as well.
DeDakis will share some of his amazing authoring journey with us all, in the hopes to help them make the road easier. Such things as...
- How to turn your life experiences into a book.
- The convoluted journey to finding an agent.
- Balancing your "real job" with your writing passion.
- Adapting your book into a screenplay and bringing it to Hollywood's attention.
- What the media looks for in a good story - and how you can make yours one.
During his 40 years in broadcast journalism, DeDakis has:
- Produced several award-winning documentaries, plus received an Emmy for his role in CNN's coverage of the 9/11 terror attacks.
- Covered the White House during the last three years of the Reagan administration.
- Interviewed such luminaries as Alfred Hitchcock, Ronald Reagan, and Jimmy Carter.
- Taught journalism and writing at American University and Regent University.
Combining his journalism skills with his passion for writing and creating intriguing story lines based upon real life, DeDakis is the author of the mystery/suspense novel Fast Track, published by ArcheBooks. It's the story of a young woman's search for purpose as she solves the mystery surrounding the car-train collision which orphaned her as an infant. The novel deals with issues of suicide, journalistic integrity, anonymous sources, and mentoring relationships.
Come join us for what promises to be an intellectually stimulating day with an engaging speaker who's passionate about journalism and writing and is coming to Denver just to speak to our CIPA membership!
Saturday, May 16th
| Register Now |
Red Lion Hotel
4040 Quebec Street
Denver, CO 80216
8 – 8:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 9:15 a.m. Announcements, Star Time, Committee Chair Updates
9:15 – 10 a.m. Networking
10 a.m. – 12 noon Program