Two recent news events have raised many questions about workplace romance and office affairs. The arrest of NASA Astronaut Lisa Nowak for the attempted kidnapping of a perceived rival for the affections of a fellow astronaut, and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom’s public apology for having an affair with his campaign manager’s wife highlight the problems that can arise when people become involved in office romance and workplace affairs.
“A workplace friendship with someone of the opposite sex can easily become a workplace romance.” says infidelity expert Ruth Houston, founder of www.InfidelityAdvice.com Houston, author of Is He Cheating on You? – 829 Telltale Signs cautions, “Anytime workmates of the opposite sex work in close proximity on a regular basis for extended periods of time, the potential for workplace romance or office affairs exists.
To find out if your (or your partner’s) workplace friendship is in the danger zone, take Ruth Houston’s Workplace Romance Quiz below.
1. Are you concealing information about your workplace friendship from your spouse or significant other?
2. Do you confide in your workplace friend now instead of your spouse?
3. Do you find yourself turning to your workplace friend for emotional support?
4. Is your workplace friend more fun to be with than your spouse?
5. Do you complain to your workplace friend about your spouse or your marriage?
6. Do you devote more time, attention or energy to your workplace friend than you devote to your spouse?
7. Do you concoct reasons or create excuses to be with your workplace friend?
8. Do you miss your workplace friend when you're not together?
9. Do you find your workplace friend sexually attractive?
10. Do you use your workplace friend as a sounding board for your personal problems?
11. Would you act differently toward your workplace friend if your spouse were present?
12. Do you fantasize about your workplace friend ?
13. Would your spouse be upset to see how you interact with workplace friend?
14. Would you be uncomfortable with the situation if your spouse or significant other had a similar workplace friendship with someone of the opposite sex?
SCORING: Count your total number of yes answers.
1 - 4 This is a relatively harmless workplace friendship unless you answered yes to both questions 1 and 9. That automatically puts your friendship in the danger zone.
5 - 8 This is workplace friendship that is dangerously close to becoming a workplace romance. If you answered yes to both 1 and 9, it's already there.
9 - 14 This is a workplace friendship which has already advanced to the level of a workplace romance. As such, It poses a VERY serious threat to your marriage or relationship.
© Copyright 2007 Ruth Houston, founder of InfidelityAdvice.com
If you’re concerned about your (or your partner’s ) workplace friendship and want to know what to do, send for the free tip sheet entitled “ How to Keep a Workplace Friendship from Becoming a Workplace Romance.” E-mail InfidelityAdvice . gmail.com with “Workplace Romance Tip Sheet-a” in the subject line.
For more information about office romance and workplace affairs, visit http://www.InfidelityAdvice.com
About Ruth Houston:
Infidelity expert Ruth Houston is the founder of Infidelity Advice.com and the author of Is He Cheating on You? – 829 Telltale Signs, which documents practically every known sign of infidelity. Frequently called on by the media to comment on infidelity issues in the news, Ruth has been quoted in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, Cosmopolitan, the New York Post, the Chicago Tribune, the San Francisco Chronicle, the National Post, Macleans, iVillage, MSN Lifestyle, UPI, Reuters, Agence France-Presse and numerous other print and online media. Ruth has appeared as a guest on The Today Show, Good Day New York, 1010WINS, CNN, CN8, BBC, CBC, Ireland’s Late Late Show and over 320 other radio and TV talk shows worldwide.
For more information about workplace romance and office affairs, visit http://www.InfidelityAdvice.com
To interview Ruth Houston, call 718 592-6039 or email InfidelityExpert . gmail.com