This is the 5th annual list of top 10 infidelity news stories compiled by infidelity expert Ruth Houston, founder of www.InfidelityAdvice.com and author of Is He Cheating on You? - 829 Telltale Signs.
Houston, a New York based infidelity expert who is frequently called on by the media to comment on infidelity issues in the news, says, “2008 was a record year for infidelity news. Six months into the year, there were already so many infidelity stories in the news, that it was hard to narrow the list down to ten. Everyone seems to have gotten into the infidelity act. Last year’s list was dominated by cheating politicians. This year’s list is an interesting mix of high profile cheaters and new infidelity research.”
Below is infidelity expert Ruth Houston's 5th annual list of top 10 infidelity news stories for the year 2008.
- The Eliot Spitzer Sex Scandal - New York Governor Eliot Spitzer, (Client 9) was forced to resign when it came out that he regularly patronized high-class call girls from the Emperors Club in Washington, DC, paying one young prostitute over $4000 for the night. Spitzer’s resignation was followed by incoming New York Governor David Paterson’s public confession that he and his wife both had extramarital affairs.
- John Edwards Cheats on His Cancer-Stricken Wife - In an ABC News' "Nightline interview, former presidential candidate John Edwards admitted lying about his extramarital affair when the National Enquirer first reported he was cheating with his campaign videographer Rielle Hunter. His wife, Elizabeth Edwards has terminal cancer.
- A-Rod’s and Madonna’s Affair of the Heart - Alex Rodriguez’s emotional affair with Madonna was the final indignity for Cynthia Rodriguez, who had long tolerated her husband’s cheating ways. C-Rod said A-Rod left her no choice but to divorce the philandering baseball star.
- New York Times Article on the Changing Landscape of Infidelity - Tara Parker-Pope’s article, Love, Sex and the Changing Landscape of Infidelity sparked widespread media coverage of the latest research on infidelity among different age groups, and the difficulty in obtaining accurate infidelity statistics.
- Wildly Exaggerated Reports of a Cheating Gene - Hasse Walum, a behavioral geneticist at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm led a study of a genetic variant in men that was immediately (and erroneously ) dubbed by the media as “the cheating gene,” despite Walum’s protests that the study had nothing to do with infidelity.
- The Truth About Cheating –the hot new infidelity book by Gary Neuman in which he claims that most men cheat because of emotional dissatisfaction. Neuman’s Oprah interviews caused a nationwide uproar because, he implied that wives are to blame when their husbands cheat.
- 3 Infidelity Studies Reveal That Happy Husbands Cheat Too - Infidelity studies published by 3 different researchers in 3 separate medical journals confirm that good marriages are not immune to extramarital affairs, and that even happy husbands cheat on their wives.
- Christie Brinkley and Peter Cook Divorce Trial –The supermodel’s highly publicized divorce trial and custody battle revealed details about Cook’s affair with his teenage mistress, and exposed his $3000 a month internet porn habit.
- Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick Lies Under Oath - Kilpatrick, now in jail, was repeatedly hauled into court, and continued to lie about his affair with his former Chief of Staff until dozens of their X-rated text messages, leaked to the Detroit Free Press, finally revealed the truth.
- USA Today Reports Almost Everyone Knows a Cheat –USA Today unveiled the results of a Gallup Poll which underscored the pervasiveness of infidelity. 54% know a married person who’s cheating on his or her mate.
© 2008 by Ruth Houston
Top 10 Infidelity News Stories for Previous Years
ATTENTION: Editors, Reporters, Producers, News Anchors, Talk Show Hosts
How many of these infidelity news stories did you cover in 2008?
Did you have ready access to an infidelity expert who could provide commentary, quotes or background information on infidelity-related breaking news?
Add infidelity expert Ruth Houston’s contact information to your source file for 2009 and call her the next time infidelity makes the news.
About Ruth Houston:
Frequently called on by the media to comment on popular infidelity issues and infidelity-related breaking news, Ruth has been quoted in USA Today, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, New York Daily News, Cosmopolitan, the New York Post, the Chicago Tribune, the San Francisco Chronicle, Cosmopolitan, the Toronto Sun, Maclean's, Chatelaine, the National Post, MSN Lifestyle, FoxNews.com, ABCNews.com, msnbc.com, Divorce360.com, iVillage, Reuters, the Associated Press, UPI and numerous other print and online media worldwide.
Ruth has also been a guest on The Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN, Fox & Friends, The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet, NBC News, BBC, CBC, WCBS, ABC News, Fox News, 1010WINS, Sirius Satellite Radio, and over 480 radio and TV news and talk shows in the United States, Canada, Europe, South America, New Zealand, Australia, Africa, and the Caribbean.