Any woman who’s ever been cheated on could identify with the hurt and humiliation Clara Harris must have felt, as they watched “Suburban Madness” Sunday night. This made-for-TV movie was based on the story of the Texas dentist who was convicted of killing her cheating husband by running him over with her car. The shock of seeing her husband leaving a hotel with his mistress after leading her to believe he was ending the affair, pushed Clara Harris over the edge. Betrayed by the man she loved, this loyal, devoted wife and mother ran over him in a fit of blind rage.
There are 26 million potential Clara Harrises out there - wives with cheating husbands who have no idea their husbands are having an affair. Any one of them who found herself in similar circumstances, might overreact the way Clara Harris did. Where matters of the heart are involved, it’s easy to lose control.
Could you be the next Clara Harris? Answer the probing questions below to find out.
- Have you ever considered the possibility that your husband might have an affair?
- Do you know how to recognize the telltale signs of infidelity?
- Are you familiar with the early warning signs of an affair?
- Do you know what to do if you suspect your husband of having an affair?
- Do you know your husband well enough to detect subtle changes in his behavior, habits or routine that could indicate a possible affair?
- Do you know what you should avoid doing if you discover that your husband is having an affair?
- Do you know how to tell if your husband is a potential cheater?
- Have you and your husband ever discussed your feelings about extramarital affairs?
- Do you encourage your husband to openly discuss any complaints he may have about you or the marriage?
- Do you know the situations or circumstances that make a marriage vulnerable to an affair?
- Do you periodically do a reality check or take stock of your marriage to insure that everything is okay?
- Is there a trusted adult friend (or a trained professional) you can confide in about marital problems?
- Do you know how to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for the possibility of your husband having an affair?
- Do you have an “infidelity plan” in place for handling the situation if your husband should have an affair?
- Have you ever given any serious thought as to what you would do if your husband asked for a divorce?
- If your husband were cheating, would you know the correct way to confront him about his affair?
- Could you keep your emotions in check if you found out your husband was having an affair?
- If your husband had an affair, do you know the best strategy for dealing with the Other Woman?
These questions force you to take a long hard look at yourself and your marriage or relationship. You may be uncomfortable with what you see. Your potential for becoming the next Clara Harris increases with every “no” answer you give. As few as 3 “no” answers put you in the danger zone.
Infidelity affects 80% of all marriages today. No one is immune. If you’re serious about wanting to protect your marriage or safeguard your relationship, there are things about infidelity you should know. The most important thing to do is make sure you know how to recognize the warning signs. Being uninformed about this and other aspects of infidelity cost Clara Harris her freedom and David Harris his life. The story might have had a very different ending if she had recognized the signs of infidelity in time. To request a free tip sheet entitled “How to Avoid Being the Next Clara Harris – Infidelity Information You Should Know” send an e-mail to InfidelityInfo.gmail.com with “Clara Harris Tip Sheet” in the subject line.
Copyright © 2004 Ruth Houston
Ruth Houston, author of “Is He Cheating on You? – 829 Telltale Signs, is an infidelity expert and writer/columnist whose articles have appeared for the past 20 years in publications here and abroad. Her book “Is He Cheating on You? – 829 Telltale Signs” is based on 10 years of in-depth research on infidelity which began when she accidentally discovered her (now ex-) husband’s affair. Ruth has been a frequent guest on Good Day New York, 1010WINS, TalkAmerica, the Mike Gallagher Show and many other TV and radio talk shows nationwide. She is a member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, and is listed in Working Press of the Nations and Bacon's Media Bank. . She is happily re-married and lives in New York with her husband and their 8 cats. http://www.Is-He-Cheating-On-You.com