Employment - Lecturer/Teacher Creative Arts and Humanities[1994 to present]
* Qualifications Coordinator (Assistant Head of Department) for various courses in the Department of Creative Arts, Music and Writing, Faculty of Design and Sustainability, Bendigo TAFE (Bendigo and Castlemaine campuses). Also teacher in PWE program. [Date: 2010-present].
* Part-time teacher in the Professional Writing and Editing program at Victoria University (St Albans campus, Melbourne, Australia). [Date: from July 2012]
* Teacher Diploma of Community Services (Subjects: Psychology 1 & 2) Bendigo TAFE. [Date: 2000-2012].
*Program Director/Teacher, Professional Writing and Editing (Advanced Diploma, Diploma and Cert IV levels). Subjects taught: Novel, Poetry, Culture and Creativity, Myths and Symbols for Writers, Creative Non-Fiction, Popular Fiction, Short Story, Editing, etc. BRIT, Bendigo and Castlemaine campuses. [Date: 2000-2010].
*Course coordinator (Assistant to the KLO) and teacher various courses to Cert IV level - BRIT Koorie Unit. [Date: 1999-2003].
*Lecturer/Tutor in Medieval History, Early Modern History and Contemporary Social Issues, La Trobe University (Bendigo, Mildura & Shepparton). [Date: 1994-1999].
Appearance in Literary Anthologies and Compendiums:
* Australian Poets:'Agenda' Anthology of Contemporary Australian Poets (2005, UK) [Note: The Australian editionis detailed about half way down the page]. [Poem]
* Australian Poets: 'Best Australian Poems, 2005', by Black Ink Books (edited by Les Murray). [Poem]
*International Poets: 'Fire' (UK) 'Special International Double Issue' (March, 2008, Nos 29/30). This anthology features poetry by contemporary, modernist and cannonical poets (many in translation) from over 60 nations (available through Amazon, UK). [Poem]
* Scintillae 2012: 52 Central Victorian Writers, Poets and Creative Thinkers'. Published August 2012 and launched at the Bendigo Writers Festival. [Introduction, 2 poems & 'Interview with Clayton Eshleman'].
* The Price of Experience, a compendium of poems, interviews, translations, reviews, essays, etc. US National Book Award winning poet, Clayton Eshleman. Contains: 'An Interview with Clayton Eshleman' conducted in 2007-08 by Ian Irvine. Black Widow Press, US, November 2012.
International: 'Poetry Life and Times' & 'Artvilla' (online - UK/Spain),'Takahe' (NZ), 'Poetry NZ' (NZ), 'Humanitas' (US), 'The Antigonish Review' (Canada), 'Envoi/Coffee House Poetry' (UK), 'The Seventh Quarry' (UK), 'Psico Mondo' (Argentina), 'Conspire' (US), 'Southern Ocean Review' (NZ X2), 'Tears in the Fence' (UK), Pennine Platform (UK), Oban '06 (NZ Poetry Centre - online), Acme Poetry (US - online), Bonfire (UK -online), Bluff (US - online), 'Eclectica' (US - online), 'The Writer's Hood' (US -online), 'Cougar Webworks (now: 'Alternative Culture')' (Canada), 'Gravity 22' (US - online), 'Grape Poetry' (US - online), 'Apollo Online' (US), 'Riding the Meridian' (US), 'Deadletters' (US), 'The Resistance' (US), 'A Writer's Choice Literary Journal' (US), 'Healing Arts Magazine' (US). 'Cyber Oasis' (US), 'Baacchor Magazine' (LA/US), 'Curiosity's Escape' (US), 'M.C. Freezone', etc.
Australia: 'Jacket Magazine' (Online), 'Mascara' (online), 'Tirra Lirra', 'Verandah'(X2), 'LiNQ', 'Tarralla', 'Tamba', 'The Mozzie' (X2), 'Vernacular', 'Woorilla', 'The Australian Writer's Journal', 'Ozlit' (online), 'Dad Stories' (a short story anthology), 'Works on Paper', 'Media and Culture', 'Idiom 23' & 'The New England Review'.
* 'Facing the Demon of Noontide', poetry collection, 2000.
* 'The Angel of Luxury and Sadness: The Emergence of the Normative Ennui Cycle', non-fiction book on post-traditional forms of alienation, chronic ennui, postmodern ennui, etc., 2001.
* 'Dream-Dust Parasites', novel (as Ian Hobson), 2003.
Conference Papers, Public Talks/Performances, Symposia, etc. (sample)
* Judge of 'Bendigo Poetry Slam' (with Tru Dowling, Kevin Brophy and Emilie Zoey Baker), at the Bendigo Writers Festival Aug. 12th 2012.
* Launch of Scintillae 2012 at the Bendigo Writers Festival, Aug 11th 2012.
* 'Interview with grunge writer and poet, Neil Boyack', Bendigo Writers Festival, Aug 11th 2012.
* 'Trickster Gods and the Quantum Muse: Creativity in a Quantum Universe (Philosophy in the Library series, Central Goldfields Library Corp.) - June 2012.
* 'Poetry Performance' Newstead Short Story Tattoo [With Dr. Sue King-Smith], 2011.
* Poetry contributor to 'Tongue-a-torium' a symposia of visual artists, poets, writers, etc. held at the Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford on February 7th 2010. [Organiser berni m janssen].
* Contributor to 'Contemplating Gold' (in conjunction with Punctum Inc.) a multimedia performance featuring images of the landscape of the Central Victorian goldfields as well as reflections by local people on the role of money in their lives. Venue & Date: Castlemaine, on the evenings of Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th (4 public performances/screenings), 2009.
* 'Undue Voice: Tremor' - a conversation in poetry and sound between: Emilie Collyer, Ian Irvine, John Jenkins, berni m janssen & Daniel Buess and James Hullick (Buggatronics, Switzerland). Organised by Punctum : Undue Voice. Castlemaine, August 2009.
* Poetry Performance - 'Static' (part of the Going Down Swinging launch) - with Alicia Sometimes, Nathan Curnow, Sean M. Whelan among others. November 2008.
* 'Hermes Leads the Way: Active Imagination and the Philosopher's Stone' (Bendigo Writers Council) - August 2008.
* 'The Jindyworobaks' ('Spectres, Screens, Shadows, Mirrors, ASAL conference, University of Western Australia, Perth) - July 2006
* Chair for the panel: 'Music and Traditions in Australia' (Panel participants: Gerry Gill, Kutcha Edwards, Therese Virtue). Part of 'Music, Community & Justice' conference hosted by La Trobe University (Bendigo) and convened by Dr Sue Gillett. September 2006.
* 'Ghost Poem: A Case of Upper Paleolithic Deja Vu': talk and performance meditating on the work of US poet Clayton Eshleman, (Melbourne University, for 'Antithesis' 'Deja Vu' conference) - July, 2006.
* Performance of the poem 'A Poet Shakes the Silver Branch' at the Spud Poetry Award announcement night held at Koroit, Victoria, Australia, January 2006. The poem was short-listed for the award.
* 'How Universal the Rights of Humans? - Politics and Poetics in John Kinsella's Seven Essays on Linguistic Disobedience' ('Alchemy' conference, organised by the AAWP, as well as Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and Curtin Univerity. Perth Western Australia) - November 2005.
* 'Writing and the Unconscious' (Bendigo Writers Council) - November 2005.
* 'Panel of Writers [Discussing various genres]' (Bendigo Writers Council - 2003) [with Dianne Dempsey, John Holton, Lorraine Marwood and Estelle Randall.
* 'Publishing on the Internet' (Ballarat Writers Council 2001 & Bendigo Writers Council, Sept. 2000). [With Dr Sue King-Smith]
* 'The Impact of the Digital Revolution on the Humanities' (for The Bendigo Shakespeare Society) [With Dr Sue King-Smith] 2000.
* Co-editor of Scintillae 2012 Literary Anthology - launched at the inaugural Bendigo Writers Festival (August 2012). Contains 75 works by 52 contributors. The journal celebrates innovative writing in Central and Northern Victoria. Co-editors: Dr. Tom McWilliam, Tru Dowling and Peter Wiseman (Designer).
* Coeditor 'Painted Words' (2005-2012) - poetry, short stories and creative non-fiction by students studying towards the Cert IV PWE or the Diploma of PWE at Bendigo TAFE. There have been seven editions to date. Ian has shared coeditor duties over the 8 editions - most recently with: Dr Tom McWilliam, Peter Wiseman (also the journal's Designer), Tru Dowling, Penny Sell & Sharon Kemp. Ian also coedited of 'Brit Bits' (2002) an earlier PWE journal.
* Co-editor of the international literary ejournal 'The Animist', 1998-2001 (7 Editions). Note: The Animist is archived by the Australian National Library, Canberra under the Pandora e-text preservation program. Co-editors: Dr Sue King-Smith& John Holton.
OTHER - Writing and Teaching
* Festival Organising Committee member (representing Bendigo TAFE) for the inaugural and highly successful (after 160 years) 'Bendigo Writers Festival', August 10th to 12th, 2012 [Fellow committee members: Rosemary Sorensen (of the Bendigo Weekly), Dr. Sue Gillett (La Trobe University), John Charalambous (writer/novelist), Dawn Rasmussen (Bendigo Writers Council), Dr. Sarah Mayer-Coxs (La Trobe University) and Dianne Dempsey (Bendigo Advertiser).
* Member statewide 'PWE Coordinators Committee' (2009-2012) advising to Skills Victoria etc. on curricula for various Professional Writing and Editing courses (Cert IV PWE 21674VIC, Dip PWE 21675VIC and new Dip. PWE 22091VIC) delivered by Victorian TAFES and Uni-Tafes.
* Has assessed numerous PhDs, MAs and Honors Theses on Humanities and Creative Writing topics (2000-2012).
* Extensive list of many of the lectures, presentations and public talks I've delivered since 1994. Disciplines: Medieval History, Psychology, Fiction Writing, Poetry Writing, Creativity and Culture, Mythological Motifs for Contemporary Writers, Origins of Postmodern Ennui, etc.
Holds: PhD in Human Relations/Cultural Studies (La Trobe University, 1999), BA Humanities - Honors (First Class) (LTUB 1994) and BA Humanities (LTUB,1993 with credits from Auckland University, 1982-83). Also possesses: Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing; Diploma of VET Teaching Practice; Cert IV TAA; Cert IV PWE and a Cert IV Small Business Management.
LYRICIST & PERFORMANCE MUSICIAN
* Solo songwriter/performer - 1995-2013. Various songs released online etc. and played on Australian radio.
* Lead singer/co-songwriter 'Goya's Child (1)', 1991 - Feb.1994 - co-wrote many songs that have since been performed live or recorded for radio, CD, film and internet video/audio distribution.
CRICKET CAREER (1980-1985)
See international Cricket Archive listing for Ian Irvine to access various representative games I played in between 1980 and 1984 (covers New Zealand, UK and Australian matches).
Representative Teams (Province, County and International 1980-1985)
(selected as an opening bowler)
Auckland Province, Under-19s national competition (NZ) 1981-1982
New Zealand Under-19s (Kookaburra Shield tour to Canberra, Australia 1981-1982).
Auckland Province, Under-19s national competition (NZ) 1982-83
New Zealand Under-19s (Barclay's Bank tour to Perth Western Australia 1982-83)
Auckland Province Under-22s national competition (NZ) 1983-1984
Auckland Province 2nd 11 National Championship, (NZ) 1983-1984
Worcestershire 2nd 11, National Championship (UK) 1984
Worcestershire Under 25s 40 over 1 day national championship (UK) 1984
Auckland Province (NZ) summer 1985 (1 match v Northern Districts 11)
* Ian was recently interviewed for 'Into the Middle of Things: a Timecapsule of Australia in 2012' by two Brisbane documentary makers David Ridley and Martin Inglis. Extracts from the interview made on October 4th 2012 at Bendigo TAFE (as well as dozens of other interviews related to the documentary and details of the trip undertaken by David and Martin) are due up online from November 2012 onwards.
* See also The Bendigo Weekly feature article (online version): A Man of his Words, Friday September 3rd 2010 by Ben Cameron.