Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner
· Alaska Dawn, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Records Were Meant To Be Broken © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Totally Unexpected © 2013, Karla Dorman
· God, Isaac and Me: Our Story © 2012, Karla Dorman
· Just Another Forgotten Hero © 2012, Karla Dorman
· Sometimes, They Come Back (For Karen)
· The Terror
· The Others
· Karen Lynn's Story: Johnny's Jottings: Crawfish Festival, 2008
· Gratitude Journal, July 4, 2012 © 2012, Karla Dorman
· Be Thank.FULL
· Military Appreciation Night, Monday, November 16, 2009
· Golden Corral Celebrates
· Free Buffet with Drink November 10, 2003 (5-9 p.m.)
· One Life Was Saved: MINE
· Memory Jog: I Am NOT Having Fun Here
· Cedar Point's Done It Again
· No Ordinary Blizzard
· Fibromyalgia--IT Ruins Everything!!
· Veterans Day: Two Little Words, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Veteran's Day: Honor All, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· My Hope, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Never Say 'Never,' © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Haiku: Ahhhh!Laska, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Happy Place, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Stealth Politics, or: Government As Usual, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Every Day Should Be Veteran's Day, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· We Did Not Balk, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· Alaska: Under Her Power, © 2013, Karla Dorman
· TV Made Me Do It: 'Weather Junkies'
· Burleson Now! Magazine
· TV Made Me Do It (Scheduled Air Date in Canada)
· Not May: WILL Be on the News
· MAY Be On TV (Part Two)
· The StormSpinner May be on TV
Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
16 Years Ago Today
Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Rated "G" by the Author.
Print Save Become a Fan
Recent poems by Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner
Veterans Day: Two Little Words, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Veteran's Day: Honor All, © 2013, Karla Dorman
My Hope, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Never Say 'Never,' © 2013, Karla Dorman
Haiku: Ahhhh!Laska, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Happy Place, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Stealth Politics, or: Government As Usual, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Out of the Blue, or, A Surprise Phone Call, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Every Day Should Be Veteran's Day, © 2013, Karla Dorman
We Did Not Balk, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Alaska: Under Her Power, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Alaska: I Saw Him There, © 2013, Karla Dorman
Alaska: Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better, © 2013, Karla Dorman
The Sounds of Alaska, © 2013, Karla Dorman
>> View all 3,275
16 Years Ago Today ... an EF-1 tornado took the roof off of my apartments.
(Image © 2011, Karla Dorman)
Off and on thunder does not reveal
what evil ... thing ... is lurking in the
Get off work, walk to a local fast
food joint, walk back home. Eat,
to my best friend's apartment. Sit
down to watch the news. Want to
the weather, but it catches us by
surprise: the power goes out and
tornado sirens ramp up. HER SON
IS UPSTAIRS! One of us goes up,
him out of bed, we run into the tiny
half bath (the only place to hide).
only sounds are her prayers and a
'WHUMP' (What was that?!?). It
like forever, but the sirens finally
quit. No damage that we can see.
God ... but what are all those fire
trucks and ambulances and police
doing on my side of the complex?!?
A NEWS CREW?!??? The roof is
back like a banana. The rain falling
upstairs floods downstairs; Niagara
is pouring out of my ceiling light
fixture. THIS can't be good. Out of
apartment for over two months until
repairs are done. 16 years ago,
© 2012, Karla Dorman (1/17)
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!
|Reviewed by Amor Sabor
|What a horrifying experience to go through, Karla...and the odds are too great to see that again...I certainly hope you do not have to anymore.
|Reviewed by Michelle Kidwell Power In The Pen
|How scary, well done poem though!!!
In Christs Love
|Reviewed by Kate Clifford
|the power of nature brought to us with the power of the pen. Good write!|
|Reviewed by jude forese
|wow, what a drag ... something u never quite get over ...|
|Reviewed by Jon Willey
|a horrifying experience Karla -- may you never again be exposed top such ravenous forces and danger my dear friend -- I bid you joy and peace -- Jon Michael|
|Reviewed by D. Vaineo
|Wow, scary indeed!
|Reviewed by Karen Lynn Vidra, The Texas Tornado
|Wow, powerfully imaged poem; I could just hear the winds and see the lightning/devastation! Such a feeling of helplessness you must have endured, but glad that you all made it through! And especially glad that you got your roof fixed and got to return home!! I can see why you hate storms; I would too if THIS happened to ME! Well done, Karla, and the picture is fantastic!
(((HUGS))) and much love, your twin, Karen Lynn. :(
|Reviewed by Ronald Hull
|A lasting memory. My mother remembers a tornado that devastated farms across the road from my grandparents' farm, but spared theirs. She was just a child, but remembers the long trench they dug to bury the horses and cows that died. There were stories of the river losing all of its water and it raining fish. There was one guy who claimed to have flown through the air a great distance, looking down at the river with no water in it.
I hope your nightmares of that day sixteen years ago are soon over.