14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
When one considers the teaching of Jesus, Light and Darkness are common Illustrations of:
Good vs. Evil
Clarity vs. Confusion
And Hope vs. Despair
Using the example of a Common Light Bulb… Consider the Potential you have if elected to be Used by God as a Light within this Dark World.
1. Light Bulb – By itself is:
· And WITHOUT POWER
2. Plugging the Light bulb into the socket is an Illustration of being connected to the Family of God.
· It is what the Bible calls being BORN AGAIN.
For BY FAITH IN JESUS
and JESUS alone that you are SAVED, when He plugs you in. John 14:6
“Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
This may seem rather narrow minded and politically incorrect, but it is this narrow path that leads to fellowship with God and very few will find it. Matthew 7:13 13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
· To be “plugged-in” has NOTHING to do with being RELIGIOUS but everything to do with realizing your disconnected state from an all-knowing and powerful God. It is that God you will stand before one day, for it is written in Hebrews 9:27, “as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment”.
3. To the Born-Again Believer and to carry forward the analogy of the Light Bulb -- Many may be connected by their faith in Jesus, but the POWER is still within the LINE and not transferred into the BULB. There are many Christians that are NOT experiencing God’s POWER for the switch is turned OFF or the DIMMER is set very LOW. Unfortunately, many are lukewarm in their walk with God and do not experience the “peace which passes all understanding” nor the joy of walking within the warmth of God’s light.
4. JAMES Chapter 4 states that AS YOU draw close to God, HE will draw Close to you. This is Done by:
- PRAYER – Connecting with God as a Son or Daughter does with their Father or Mother.
- MEDITATING on the WORD of GOD – Faith cometh by hearing and a hearing by the Word of God.
- BEING a DOER of HIS WORD and Not Just a HEARER – For Faith without works is dead.
When you are CONNECTED, When the POWER is TURNED ON, and When the BRIGHTNESS of the HOLY SPIRIT Shines within YOU, then the Light of the Bulb (which has the capacity of a Megawatt Search Light) will illuminate BRIGHTLY within you for ALL to SEE.
Furthermore, You will experience…
- The Peace of God within your Soul that Passes any Earthly Understanding.
- Joy – Irrespective of the “Storms of Life”
- Strength – In knowing that you serve a Big God that cares for You
- Light – A beacon of Clarity, Warmth, and Comfort for those who are lost, abandoned, and alone.
FOR Those who are in CHRIST, YOU ARE the LIGHT of the WORLD. LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
In doing so, the RULERS of DARKNESS have NO CHOICE than to FLEE from the LIGHT, IF we keep FOCUSED on the SOURCE of the LIGHT – JESUS.
A PRAYER of GOD LIGHT and BLESSING:
Dear Father in Heaven,
There are many within this nation and throughout this world that are lost, abandoned, rejected, depressed, alone, and afraid. There is a great darkness that has spread throughout this nation and throughout this world that has only increased this sense of hopelessness and despair. To many, the attraction of darkness has provided temporary satisfaction, but in time, has only produced the fruit of depression and worthlessness. It is a trap that too many have been allured to, which will only lead to personal and societal destruction.
Father, please help us. Please intervene, by spreading the light of your TRUTH amongst this dark world. I beseech you to take the blinders off the eyes of the lost so that they may see and understand your truth. It is your truth, your light that will set free the captives of darkness through the saving grace of your Son Jesus. It is my earnest prayer that you would flood us with the blessings of that light so that darkness has NO ALTERNATIVE than to flee.
Embolden and Bless that faithful unto good works, grounded by the uncompromising Word of God! Use them as beacon of light for those in need of your truth. To the lost, light their path unto you. Plant deep within their hearts your truth so they would understand, accept, and be reconciled with your Son Jesus. Give them peace of spirit in knowing that no matter how dark the path they are on, You stand in the gap to Light the Way -- If and only if they choose to follow after you.
It is these things I ask in Jesus’ most Precious Name, AMEN.