your Signed copy today!
This is a researched book about the establishment of one of the oldest Anglican Churches in Essex County Ontario in 1805 up to the present day. It was written to commenorate the Church's bicentennial. There are 125 references to original and secondary sources.
Part of Chapter 3 The New Parish Grows
By 1842 twenty-one years after Christ Churchhad been built, the parish had it's first permanent rector. It was a significant time for the country that had officially become the United Provinceof Canada by the act of Union in July 1840. Moderates now sought to establish responsible government. In 1841 the village of Colchester was officially laid out with street names revealing the surnames of prominent politicians such as Bagot, Clitheroa, Draper, Dunn, Jackson and Sullivan.
Francis Gore Elliott was the son of the prominent Indian trader Matthew Elliott who had brought together Chief Tecumseh and General Broack at a crucial time in August 1812. Francis was born to Matthew's second 21 year old wife, Sarah Donovan Elliott on January 13th 1811 when Matthew was almost seventy. Rev. Richard Pollard ( founder of Christ Church) baptised Francis a week later at St. John's Church, Sandwich.
By 1814, Matthew had died and left Sarah with two small boys to survive in Montreal for two years. Matthew Elliott was one of the rishest landownersprior to his deaath and this legacy was bequeathed to his wife as long as she did not remarry and to his sons. This allowed Sarah to educate them well and Francis went into the ministry. After ordination in 1836 by Bishop John Strachan, he had come to Christ Church as a missionary priest in 1837. At the end of two years, the Church members affirmed his ministry and he stayed, being made rector in 1842.
At the first vestry meeting the deplorable state of the burial grounds was noted; it was over run by squatters, their cattle and swine. Members of the Parish Council had petitioned Sir Charles Bagot Governeor General of Upper Canada for the deed of land grant made by Maitland in 1819 but the wardens, Dr. Hawkins and Col. John Brush were really 'given the run around' according to Dr. Robert McCormick who researched this in 1989..... they desperately wanted to get the landsconsecrated by the Bishop during his biannual visit in 1844.
Christ Church Colchester is an inspirational Church with a delightful congregation. This book is a testimony to the countless hours of dedication and hard work by generations of congregations and clergy who have faithfully worshipped in this place as wellas at St. Alban's and St. Andrew's.