This book forges vital discoveries in brain science and psychology into practical tools for resolving conflict, eliminating self-defeating/destructive behavior and freeing energy for action, achievement and a richer life.
Unlock Your Life
Changing our lives and habits tends to be a losing struggle because we attempt to give up important pleasures without compensating our brainís extremely powerful reward pathways. That is why 90 percent of dieters and 93 percent of smokers who try to quit, eventually fail.
CHECK WHICH CHANGES YOU ARE STUGGLING WITH
* I canít lose weight and keep it off. Plenty of company: 130 million American adults are overweight
* My financial situation is far from what Iíd like it to be: 1.47 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy
* I canít quit smoking. Of the 35 million who attempt to quit, less than 7% succeed
* I canít cut back on my drinking. 7.5% or 21 million abuse alcohol or are alcohol dependent
* My love relationships never seem to work out. Average marriage lasts 7 years
* Iím often sad and unhappy . Of the 19 million who are depressed, half arenít doing anything about it
* I canít seem to realize my dream: write that book/screenplay/song, go around the world or climb Mt. Everest.
The brainís immensely powerful reward pathways override willpower and stymie attempts to changeóif we deprive them. By knowing how to accommodate them, we can take the pain out of change, and turn even mundane activities into ďflowĒ experiences. See Chapter 5, ďTurning Boredom Into Flow.Ē