John Howard Reid
· NIBBLES OF NONSENSE Hilarious Comic Verse
· 140 All-Time Must-See Movies for Film Lovers Now Available On DVD
· Silent Movies & Early Sound Films on DVD: New Expanded Edition
· Music, Thrills, Mystery, Comedy & Suspense on Video & DVD
· ROSALIA de CASTRO Selected Poems rendered into English verse
· CinemaScope Four: M-G-M MOVIES Light Up the Screen
· WESTERNS: A Guide to the Best (and Worst) Western Movies on DVD
· British Movie Entertainments on VHS and DVD
· These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards
· Movie Westerns: Hollywood Films the Wild, Wild West
· Merryll Manning: Beachfront Holiday -- Opening Paragraphs
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 16
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 15
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 14
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part 13
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Twelve
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eleven
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Ten
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Nine
· Merryll Manning Beachfront Murders Part Eight
· 214.93 Dollars. Is This a Record Price?
· TITLES TO AVOID How to use Hollywood Classics Title Index
· BAD TITLES 2 more outsiders
· BAD TITLES: 3 To Avoid
· RIGHT NAMES and titles for stories, poems and novels
· Give YOURSELF an Edge!
· Exactly the right title for your book, poem or story?
· Find Right Titles for Books, Poems, Stories
· Catchy Titles and Interesting Character Names
· Rosalia de Castro: A BRIEF LIFE
· ROSALIA de CASTRO The Old Road Del antiguo camino
· HAPPINESS by Rosalia de Castro
· Restless Thoughts by Rosalia de Castro
· The Two Doves by Rosalia de Castro
· Taste and See That the Lord Is Good
· Thank You, Lord!
· God Is Our Strength and Shelter
· God Heals the Broken-Hearted
· Translating Poetry: Literal versus Poetic Approaches
· Anyone for Love? -- Number 1 at Kindle Store
· Last Days for $5,550 Margaret Reid Poetry Contest
· $5,550 Poetry Contest Closes June 30
· Free E-Book This Weekend Only!
· FREE EBOOK FOR EVERYONE! Next 2-3 days only!
· Poetry & Short Story Contests Now Open!
· POETRY GIVEAWAY Closes Soon!
· Inspiring Poetry Giveaway
John Howard Reid, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
||November 25, 2010
Click here to buy this book!
Barnes & Noble.com
Kindle edition $0.99
Smashwords edition $0.99
Essential Movie Books
I don't know exactly how many movies I've detailed in the Hollywood Classics series, but the Index of Titles occupies 120 pages of this 344-page book, so I make it at least 5,000!
Hollywood Classics Title Index
Not just a complete index to all the films detailed and discussed in all 24 books of the Hollywood Classics series, this 344-page final book, also provides exhaustive details and reviews of 80 additional movies.
Packed with information, these reviews were not previously included because they were too long and/or too important – or simply because they didn’t fit into the overall theme of any individual book.
These additional Hollywood movie classics include All the King’s Men, If I Were King, Red Dust, Raintree County, The Sun Shines Bright, People Will Talk, I Know Where I’m Going, Ivanhoe, The Big Store, The Dolly Sisters, The Desert Fox, Out of the Past, The Palm Beach Story, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Snake Pit, A Streetcar Named Desire, Romeo and Juliet (three versions), The Ten Commandments, Vertigo, The War of the Worlds, Waterloo Bridge, Ice Station Zebra, Only Angels Have Wings, The Lady Eve, Trouble Along the Way, Brewster’s Millions, In This Our Life and It’s a Wonderful World.
All the films carry not only full behind-the-camera credits and cast lists but copyright and release information, synopses, backgrounds, awards (if any), DVD details and, of course, my comments.
The Barnes & Noble link will take you to the $0.99 NOOK e-book edition.
Ross Adams in Dress Circle Magazine
Another essential book for the film buff's library, this book, at a little over A5 size, is smaller than previous books in the series. Nonetheless, its 343 pages are packed with information and reviews on classic movies. Not as many photos in this edition, but some of the reviews are quite extensive. John Howard Reid provides all the information you need for classic movies, including complete cast and production staff. For "The Ten Commandments", for instance, Reid devotes over nine pages. The cast list alone takes up four pages. The 1950 award-winning movie, "All the King's Men", fills 20 pages. Apart from JHR's usual record of complete cast and production staff, there's so much more in this review. There are 8 pages about the director, Robert Rossen, and more pages on photographer, Burnett Guffey. The star, Broderick Crawford, also receives a lengthy write-up. Probably all the great stars of yesteryear are represented by one or more movies in this great book. I find JHR's information invaluable. Like many movie buffs, I like to read not only who acted in a movie, but who made it -- not just the top-billed stars and directors, but the lesser mortals. I like to see at least the names of the editors, photographers, and script writers; and I like to know if the film was adapted from a book. All this information and much, much more, JHR always provides.
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!