A broad 230-page history of east central Florida and Brevard County, home of NASA's Kennedy Space Center. 320 endnotes, maps, and photographs. Learn about treasure fleets and sunken treasures, the roots of Florida’s Indian River Citrus industry, the nation’s first wildlife sanctuary, the famous “real McCoy” brothers, the nation’s first multi-stage rocket launch, and little-known stories such as a UFO report from the Cape’s first commander.
Price: FREE! (eBook)
In October of 1890, the Canaveral Club was established by a few wealthy graduates of Harvard University. The bluebloods purchased nearly 18,000 acres of Cape Canaveral and the peninsula north of Merritt's Island "at the average price of about one dollar per acre. Plans to construct appropriate quarters were not hindered by any lack of money. The main lodge was three stories tall with twenty rooms for members and guests. The club featured a large dining room, a wine cellar and a trophy room, and plenty of storage for arms and ammunition. In the distance, more modest outbuildings provided shelter for butlers and maids. The private grounds were graced with a swimming pool, and at the water's edge, the shallow-draft steam yacht, Canaveral, awaited the hunter's call. Atop the lodge, there was a spectacular view of both ocean and wildlife that flocked to the surrounding marsh. Still off limits, this same site is now home to NASA's launch complex 39A.