· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatments
· Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatment
· Suicide Warfare: Culture, the Military, and the Individual as a Weapon
· Women in Combat: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary World Issues)
· Women of Afghanistan in the Post-Taliban Era: How Lives Have Changed . . .
· Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Suicide Bombers
· Female Genital Mutilation: Legal, Cultural and Medical Issues
· The Cuban Family: Custom and Change in an Era of Hardship
· Paternity and American Law
· A Woman Confesses: It's Never Too Late For Lessons In Love -- And LifeLessons in Love and Life
· Sage Book Chapter: Women Political Leaders in Africa
· Female Genital Mutilation
· Terrorist Attack & Natural Disaster Preparedness
· Susan Cook-Jahme, AuthorsDen, Newsletter Review
· Warren V. Keller: A Visit to His Roots
· Properly Trained Servicewomen Can Overcome Physical Shortcomings
· Overturning Paternity
· Sexual Harassment
· Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989)
· The "Dear John": Rosemarie Keller Skaine to Bob Trentz
· He Does Me Wrong Song
· Iíll Remember You
· Little Girl, Little Girl
· We Live
· I Am Well Fed
· My Horse II
· The Precipice
· Skaine Signs Two Contracts
· Skaine Interviews on Spotlite Radio
· Skaine presents at UN, Women in Parliament
· Skaine Gives UN Keynote, Terrorism & African Youth
· Query for Writers
· Rosemarie Skaine Keynote Speaker at UN Women 57 Meeting
· Christian Science Monitor Interview
Rosemarie Skaine, click here
to update your web pages on AuthorsDen.
Books by Rosemarie Skaine
||McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers
||May 1 2001
your Signed copy today!
Barnes & Noble.com
McFarland & Co., Inc.
_Women College Basketball Coaches_ traces history since 1892 through the current day. Selected women coaches are profiled along with contributors to the game. Also in ebook: 978-0-7864-5082-4.
Tall, powerful athletes surge toward the goal in the last seconds of a fiercely fought game, providing excitement to an arena full of basketball fans. Increasingly, challenging games like this are being played by women's college teams. With the passage of Title IX and the success of the WNBA (Women's National Basketball League), women's college teams have received more support and attention both from academic institutions and basketball fans. One of the primary reasons for the growing interest in women's college basketball is the dedication of the women who coach these student athletes to personal and athletic success. Women currently coach nearly 65 percent of the women’s basketball teams in all divisions of the NCAA. Their commitment to their sport and to their athletes has resulted in a game and a generation of athletes unlike any other. This analysis of the role of women coaches in college basketball provides a detailed history of women's involvement in college sports, as well as insights into the work of the great women coaches of the past and present, all highlighted through interviews with some of the most important women coaches of today.
In recent years, womenís basketball has experienced phenomenal growth. That growth is measured by the number of women players and women coaches and by their achievements. As more women players elevate their game and as more women coach winning teams, societyís interest has grown. The explosive growth is a tribute to the tenacity of the women of the game and their love for women's basketball. It comes also from changes in the game itself, from legislation, from the growth and strength of basketball organizations in combination and from increased coverage by the media.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Foreword by Betty F. Jaynes 1
Chapter 1 - History through 1960s 11
Chapter 2 - The Era of Title IX 17
Chatper 3 - History 1970 through 1999 52
Chapter 4 - Contributors to the Game 77
Chapter 5 - Women Coaches 108
Chapter 6 - The Coaches and the Future 159
Women currently coach nearly 65% of the women's basketball teams in all divisions of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. This analysis of the role of women coaches in college basketball provides a detailed history of women's involvement in college sports, as well as insights into the work of the great women coaches of the past and present, along with interviews with important women coaches. Includes b&w photos. Skaine is a sociologist. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR booknews.com.
Midwest Book Review: Internet Book Watch
Women College Basketball Coaches by sociologist Rosemarie Skaine is an informed and informative study of the role women coaches play in the exciting and competitive arena of college basketball. From trends in program revenues, to statistical information concerning resource allocation, to the diversity of coaches and coaching styles, to college basketball game attendance, and more, Women College Basketball Coaches is an fact-filled, seminal, account of female influence in a widely popular collegiate sport. Enhanced with photos of the coaches, Women College Basketball Coaches is a welcome and highly recommended contribution to academic Sports History reference collections in general and especially commended to the attention of women's college basketball enthusiasts in particular.
Go to the following link to read this review as well as reviews of other books:
Women in Sport & Physical Activity Journal
"The author, Rosemarie Skaine, deserves much praise for taking up the project of writing about important women who have devoted their lives, professionally and personally, to the advancement of women's basketball, and more broadly, girls and women's athletic education within the United States. . . .
"When critically read, I hope that this book will encourage women players and coaches and sport scientists to march onward, in the tradition of their foremothers, to persist in shaping the role of women in sport and documenting that history for future generations."
Complete Review by Ellen J. Staurowsky, Ithaca College, can be found in _Women in Sport & Physical Activity Journal_, Fall 2004 v13 i2 p105(2)
Want to review or comment on this
Click here to login!
Need a FREE Reader Membership?
Click here for your Membership!